December 2015 Moms
Options

Elimination Communication

Who is doing it / going to do it?
Thoughts? Challenges? Successes?

I'm a FTM but I have been reading up on it and it's definitely something I want to do. It helps build trust between you and your baby, as well as cutting down on laundry and landfill.

For those who don't know, Elimination Communication (aka EC aka Diaper free aka Infant potty training) is basically forgoing diapers on a full time or part time basis by reading your baby's cues as to when they need to go to the bathroom and then having them go on a potty instead of a diaper. This can be done at birth or at any time and it helps your baby learn how to momentarily hold it in before you put them on the potty; it also helps them get used to the idea of potty training early on instead of relying on eliminating in their diapers until someone changes them. Some use EC for poops mainly, and then use regular or cloth diapers to catch the pees. Others EC for every type of elimination.

Here is some literature:

https://www.naturalbirthandbabycare.com/elimination-communication/

Books:
https://www.diaperfreebaby.org/booklinks.htm?&MMN_position=95:94

There are also YouTube videos

Re: Elimination Communication

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    hplunkett2883hplunkett2883 member
    edited August 2015

Yeah. No.

• Options
    Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited August 2015
    Nah. The sphincter muscles aren't developed until at least a year of age, so it's not newborn training, its parent training. The baby is going to poop/pee when it has to and I don't have all day to hold him over the toilet. I'm using cloth diapers, that's peace of mind enough for me. Water can be filtered.

Edited for typo
  • Options
    This sounds like the worst idea ever!
  • Options
    No thank you. It seems so crazy! I barely got my almost three year old potty trained let alone a three month old. Talk about the stress!
  • Options
    There's no way I'd do that. But good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    Lol... I can't believe this is real. There is no way I would attempt it but good luck and let us know how it works.
  • Options
    Wow.just.wow.
  • Options
    It is pretty common in certain cultures where disposable diapers are financially unreasonable I read about it in How Eskimoes Keep Their Babies Warm. I will not be trying EC but potty training is actually why I am considering cloth diapers once my LO is a little older the feedback is supposed to be stronger in cloth because it doesn't hide the wet as well as disposables which I hope will make potty training is easier/earlier. I daytime potty trained myself really early (my mom didn't know what to do because it was supposedly to early, the peditrician said put a diaper on me when we weren't going to be near a bathroom). 
  • Options
    How does this work when you take your child outside of the house and what not? I'm curious. Has anyone else done this?
  • Options
    @chiccobeanz In the book I read about it in (How Eskimoes Kieep their Babies Warm--which is just a book about unique parentlng practices around the world that are very different from what we consider normal in the USA). EC was discussed as fairly common in certain Asian countries anyway they have pants that have a hole/slit so when the kid needs to go they can just squat anywhere and go and they will hold them over a garbage can in the city or in a yard. In the house they watch for signs and make a hissing noise that apparently signals for the child to go. 
  • Options
    So, I did a version of this with my first. I wasn't into cleaning up accidents/misses though. So, I kept her in a diaper and easily removable clothes while at home. You will notice a pattern to when your baby eliminates (right after a feeding, right after a nap, etc.) and you will pick up on subtle clues (little grunts or looks) if you look for them. I basically thought of it as a way to save money on diapers (literally hundreds of dollars) and get her accustomed to using the potty. She could have gone to underwear by 18 months but we were expecting our second and didn't want to worry about the theoretical "regression" people talk about. So, we waited and she was in underwear full-time by two. She adjusted really easily to having a new baby (surprisingly).
    With my second, we didn't do EC quite as often. I'm not sure my husband did it at all. She is now approaching two years and is much less interested in being potty trained. She will sit on the potty and if we catch her at a good time, she'll go on it, but she has very little interest in telling me when she has to go BEFORE she goes in her diaper.
    So, based on the difference between the first two kids, I'm much more motivated to work harder on it with the third.
    It could be just a difference in the kids - different personalities, different development, etc. - but having the first reliably out of diapers so early was so worth it to me.
    The big thing to me was to make it a no-fail system. If she went in the diaper, no biggie. If she went in the potty and the diaper was dry, super awesome. The more verbal she got, the more we talked about using words to tell me when she had to go.
    I know when you see videos and read about the concept, it seems stressful, but it is possible to do it in a less stressful way.
    I have never heard of a daycare being on board with it, so it is obviously easier if you are with your child all day/night. But even if I weren't, I think I would try to work on it on nights and weekends.
    Oh, and as for sphincter control, I read that it is something that babies are capable of controlling and then lose the ability (if they don't need it because they are in diapers all the time) and then have to re-learn later, which is why kids (in North America) take longer to potty train. But if a baby learns/knows you are taking them to the potty, they can hold it long enough for you to get there.
    Also, I was doing potty training with my second child before I realized I had never had to clean poop out of underwear = priceless.
  • Options
    Yeah my husband and I are planning on trying this. I love the idea.

From what I have read, there's a few terms that get thrown around that are a bit misleading. For one, I think diaper free is a bit misleading. Like many parents, we'll still use washable diapers but will try not to rely on them. Eg when the baby starts doing that thing where you know it is going to poop, off to the toilet. Also it's not about potty training, some end up out of diapers way earlier, some don't. Its not at all about rewarding the baby for "being trained", It's more about the parents learning to catch more and more.

I have read that it can still work part time eg when a primary caregiver goes back to ft work.

That said, all my knowledge is merely theoretical! We'll see in a few months! :)

• Options
    https://lulastic.co.uk/tag/elimination-communication/

Interesting blog by someone who found that elimination communication worked for them
  • Options
    I worked with kids of all different age groups. We are hoping to start potty training around 18 months and hopefully have them out of diapers by 2. I think that it is more effective and less stressful once we can communicate more clearly with each other. With a boy I also feel like waiting until later than 18 months is going to lead to a stubborn little boy who would prefer to sit in his dirty diapers then used the potty. hahaha
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments! I think it's the best of both worlds to try EC in conjunction with the cloth diapers to catch any of the misses.
    I also believe Diaper-free and Infant Potty training are misnomers as @belle750017 stated.
    I think there are a lot of misconceptions about EC. It does not mean that you're going to have your baby poop in the middle of a restaurant or run around naked all day. It's just about putting him or her on the pot upon waking, before/after feedings, and whenever you see any cues. It minimizes the amount of diapers that get soiled. From what I have read, most moms find that it is worth it. We must remember that this is what millions of mothers do around the world. Not everyone has access to diapers, so the concept is not as crazy as it sounds.
  • Options
    Lol!! Nope!!!! This is my third kid but I'm still not good at potty training a two-year-old without occasional disasters. Good luck with the meconium! ;) remember..... Newborns "eliminate" A LOT! And it'll be very dark and stainable for quite a while.
  • Options
    I was interested before I knew what it actually was. I'm going to have to pass now lol. That sounds like way too much work! I can't even control my own bladder sometimes, how am I supposed to control my kids? :-??
  • Options
    Many of my friends in New Zealand have done this and they swear by it. They've had nothing but great experiences with it. If you feel inspired to do it, give it a try! ☺️