Baby Names

Question for Canadian moms

DH and I have always liked the name Harper for a girl. With the federal election approaching, would you be thinking of Stephen Harper when you hear the name Harper or not associate the two? Thanks!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Question for Canadian moms

• Yep. Stephen Harper. No go for me. But then, I'm also not a fan of first names that sound like last names just as a general rule.

It's also super tendy right now, I think 80% of the people on my BMB are naming their kids that... Maybe you could find another pretty H name?
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I do think of Stephen Harper when I hear this name! Especially since she would be born while he is PM, it would be hard not to shake the association in the short term, probably not in the long term though.
  • Loading the player...
  • flasflas member
    I could never do the name Harper because of that link.
  • I think Stephen Harper. I liked it for DS (after Elijah Harper - great reference) but it was just too much Stephen Harper for us.
  • Yes!! I said that to SO when he suggested Harper. He thought I was nuts but I think it's a no-go personally.
  • Nah, and when people started mentioning that, I was surprised that i didn't make that association :)

I always think of Harper Lee. But that's me. I pay more attention to books than politics. 
  • Yep. Stephen Harper. No go for me. But then, I'm also not a fan of first names that sound like last names just as a general rule. It's also super tendy right now, I think 80% of the people on my BMB are naming their kids that... Maybe you could find another pretty H name?
    Oh Heather....  It's not a common name anymore and I LOVE wildflower names. Which Heather technically is. 

ok I'll shut up now.
  • I could never use Harper because of the association. However, if you love it, the general publics extreme dislike for
    him will probably drastically decease Harpers popularity in the next couple years. So that's a plus and a minus, I guess.
  • Thanks again everyone for your help! Crisis averted - its a boy! haha   
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ya my mom is pushing hard for Harper but I just can't.
  • I think of Harper Lee personally.
    YCSWU