2nd Trimester

Movement on and off... Normal?

Hi ladies, so I wanted to ask you if you have had experience with really on and off kicking? I am 20 weeks, and was feeling a lot of movement, but the last two days have been very quiet. I am probably being paranoid, but is it something to worry about?

Re: Movement on and off... Normal?

• Hi ladies, so I wanted to ask you if you have had experience with really on and off kicking? I am 20 weeks, and was feeling a lot of movement, but the last two days have been very quiet. I am probably being paranoid, but is it something to worry about?

Totally normal. Babies aren't supposed to have regular moment until around 28 weeks, which is why you're not supposed to start kick counts until then. Baby still has a lot of room at 20 weeks. She/he could be facing your spine or something which would be keeping you from feeling the movement.
  • Aw okay. Thanks for the reassurance. I am working so much I don't have time to go to the doctor and check and it's scary @cMichelle0423
  • Loading the player...
  • Aw okay. Thanks for the reassurance. I am working so much I don't have time to go to the doctor and check and it's scary @cMichelle0423

No need for a doctor. I know it can be worrisome to not have constant reassurance that everything is okay, but as long as you don't have any symptoms that something is wrong (heavy bleeding/cramping), I wouldn't worry. Good luck!
  • groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited August 2015
    Very normal. 

For one thing, babies have lazy days. For another thing, they are both tiny and active and often turn in a direction that you can't feel kicks from. Doctors, for this reason, will tell you not to worry at this stage unless you feel nothing for days on end or have other symptoms consistent with trouble. Once they're larger, counting and timing kicks becomes more of an exact science. 

My daughter kicks furiously most of the time but there are periods of one or two days here and there where I won't feel her much at all. The first time i went in for a doppler and she was alive and well. She always starts up again. 
  • Thanks for this ! I'm 21 weeks and have had the same thing happen. I was getting worried but then I felt her just a few times this evening and it was definitely softer kicks. I think it may just be her position.
  • Thanks ladies! Makes me feel much better. I think it's easy to worry, especially with the first pregnancy. @cew810 @groovylocks
  • Mine was lazy for days around this time too. If you get too nervous try to eat or drink something cold and sweet and lay on your side. Sometimes you'll get them to move but my midwife said these lazy days are normal so long as you have no other symptoms. Also even now (I'm 28 weeks) if I'm busy I notice the movement less.