November 2015 Moms
Options

Complete AW Post- Nasty Secretary at OB HUGE vent session

Hey guys, I had an appointment go nasty this morning and I still am stewing so I figured I'd allow myself a steam session with you fine folks here. Looking at it now, it's long post; so feel free to scan or simply not read, but I think it'll be good for me to get some other opinions or simply just get it out of my head.

This morning I had a 31 week checkup with one of the OBs, pretty routine. We talked about my GD and how I might have to go to insulin as meds aren't working as well. No big deal, we chat, she measures me, listens to baby, everything's awesome. Because of my GD, they want me to book NSTs twice a week starting next week up until baby comes. She also wants me to have an ultrasound next week, and a routine 33 week appointment in two weeks. Count 'em- that's SIX appointments in the next two weeks. Woo okay, no prob. I say my thanks yous, see you real soons, take a t-dap vaccine from the nurse and am on my way out of there to get checked out. Total appointment time: 15 minutes.  
As I  start checking out I tell the secretary: at my job I book 3 weeks out at a time, and things are already booked out until 2 weeks so my schedule is pretty tight. I should be able to make stuff work and three weeks on they can put me wherever and I can book my work around my appointments. (FYI I'm a mental health counselor at a psychiatric hospital). She says okay and starts pulling up the calendar. I let her know that I can have an appointment 4 o clock on any day, no prob.....She tells me that NSTs can be booked no later than 3. Hummmmm okay, I tell her I work an hour away and the earliest I can get there is 4 if I leave early. She says that she can't do anything. I then tell her for the next two weeks I'm available on Wednesdays as those are my days off during the week. She says they don't do NSTs on Wednesdays. ....mind you this isn't being said with the best bedside manner. I ask if I can get it at another local office and have the results transferred (this is a HUGE big name hospital network, they have offices all over the state), she tells me 'not without transferring your care somewhere else.' 

At this point I'm shell shocked with how every option I come up with is not working. I ask them if I could just do one a week for the first week, and she tells me "We don't do that here, what do you want me to do, we can't schedule it like that!"......at this point I just look at her and tell her 'I work 30 hours a week, I can't call out of all these shifts, I need this job so I'm not sure what my other options are.' in which she replies 

"Book what you can and I'll just tell the doctor your refusing treatment." 

What? I've tried EVERYTHING I possibly can, 4 different options and none of them work and I'm 'refusing treatment?' I told her to go talk to someone as I would have to wait on the NSTs until 3 weeks out. She left in a huff to go speak to the doctor I just saw...the OB said she would overlook my chart and give me a ring later (once again, the ob was very relaxed and didn't seem phased but we'll see.) I had to book the 2 week checkup 3 weeks out because the secretary couldn't get it on my two days off...impressive.

After I left, I rang them back and ended up deciding that I need to talk to work and potentially call out for a shift (COMPLETELY unacceptable that it's come to that: that's my livelihood  and I don't qualify for ETO and I NEVER call out nor should be getting in trouble for doing so which could happen now). I get a different secretary and make 2 NSTs for two weeks out, and then tell them I might as well make the 2 week check up happen as I now have to call out. The person I talked to told me there were MORE than enough time slots available for me on my days off (the original days I asked for the check up) to book me in so she didn't know why it was a problem to begin with, which means the  nasty secretary was just being difficult and a witch to begin with.

So there you have it, a long confusing situation that I has been having my blood boiling all day. Clearly the NSTs are important for baby, and I've been having a tough time with high sugars and meds as is so I would not like to hold off as it makes me feel like I'm putting DD in a little bit of a risk bracket; I'm not sure what else to do. I'm sure holding off until the 15th will be fine, but I'm just pissed that I need to be in this situation to begin with let alone made out to be a problem patient. 

Man, so done.  Absolutely sorry on the long post: ridiculous I know, but I typed it all out, I'm posting it now!

Re: Complete AW Post- Nasty Secretary at OB HUGE vent session

• Options
    Wow, that sounds like a wretched conversation, especially the refusing treatment comment.  Glad you were able to talk to someone else and hope you are able to shake it off soon!  Any chance your practice/hospital sends out surveys?  That seems to be really big in the hospital system I'm in right now.  I get them in the mail and emailed.  Be on the look-out.  On the ones I get there is always a place to write comments on specific appointments.  It seems like people working in scheduling, reception, billing etc. get so burnt out.  They stop seeing people as individuals and just see the hassle.  I try to be patient when dealing with someone who is obviously having a bad day, but it is hard when you are hot, tired and pregnant!
  • Options
    I agree with @Falchas about support staff getting burnt out. I've had similar situations with the receptionists at my office, though they were not quite as nasty. Among other things, one day I called to try and reschedule an appointment, and for some reason the lady thought I was a new patient so she told me I couldn't reschedule due to being new, when I explained I'd been seeing this same OB my entire pregnancy and not was NOT, in fact, a new patient, she came up with another reason I couldn't reschedule it. I finally got frustrated and moved my schedule around to keep the original appointment. The funny thing was, when I showed up at the appointment, she handed me all the new patient paperwork and billing information. I almost screamed at her--my husband was laughing at me from his spot in the corner. Anyway, short story long, I think there is no real incentive for front desk people to have any empathy for the patients they are seeing, so there is no reason to go the extra mile to provide good service. When I talked to my nurse about the frustrations I've had with the receptionists, she gave me some good workarounds, so that's my other suggestion, if your nurse, MA, or OB are really good about patient care, maybe try to get in touch with one of them instead of dealing with the people who are just answering the phones.