November 2015 Moms
Options

Starting College w/ Newborn?

Anyone else going to be in college or starting college shortly after your babies are born?

I'm starting college part time in Jan but am only talking online courses. My daughter will be able 2 months old when the semester starts.

Re: Starting College w/ Newborn?

• Options
    BlondeMomma92BlondeMomma92 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm in the process of trying to finish my Degree now. So i'm really hoping I Don't go over my due date just cause that would really mess up taking finals 
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in school now.. Final 2 courses before I get my bachelors in December. I'm due 11/08 my professors both gave me the option of finishing the rest of my assignments online after he arrives and just coming in the first week in December for the final exam.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in grad school right now finishing up my MSN. Brutal but just keep your eye on the prize! Sleep will come eventually...right? Lol
  • Options
    I just started school this week and class should end 2 weeks before baby us due. Only planning on taking the second part of this semester off. And I have a 2yo at home
  • Options
    I went to night school before DS was born, but I was in school full time and working full time. There was also a hour commute between home, work and school, so I was driving 3 hours a day. If you want it bad enough you can do it. I look back now and have no clue how I did it, but I did.
    Also for online classes, try to set a schedule time to work on them just like if you were actually going to class. I would try to find 3 hours a week per class baby free time for each class, maybe when your SO is off work or if you have a friend or family member that can watch your LO. Once LO is a little older nap time is also a perfect time for school work.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Despite my best efforts of going back this semester (transferring to a new school and my high-school transcripts are currently MIA), I will be waiting until summer 2016 to start back. My SIL lovingly told me to wait as I would probably be a mostly useless zombie still in January and potentially February if baby decides he needs to cook a while longer. She just had her second little one last August and works from home for FLVS - I'm trusting her judgement on this one.

That being said, if I feel mostly human in January I may sign up for session B classes, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    I started nursing school with a 2 year old and a 4 week old. If you want it you can do it.
  • Options
    I'll be taking a course when I give birth! I already talked to the professor though and we'll work something out. I'll be taking two online grad courses in the spring with a 3 year old and newborn. .. not looking forward to it, but I'm more than halfway done with my Masters..... it's tough, but you can do it!
  • Options
    i'm due the week before finals, and i'll still have 5 semesters left. it's nice to see so many other mommies go back to school :) my advisor gave me the option to take 1 class instead of 2 in the spring semester.. I was taking 3 but cut back to 2 since I work full time
  • Options
    Having this baby is a kick for me to finish up school finally! I think I have about two years for my BA, but am going to wait for a little more stable situation. I sucked at online classes when I took them years ago but might look into them again. Kudos to all moms going to school or planning on it! Inspiring for sure!
  • Options
    I'm normally in school full time, in addition to working full time, but I'll be taking this Fall & Spring off. I plan on returning next Fall 2016, & probably start off slow with only 1 or 2 classes at a time as opposed to full time. SO will be finishing up his undergrad, taking the MCATs, & applying to medical school early next year so we will definitely be busy. I know tons of people, including my mother, who juggled children, work, and school, so I know it's most definitely possible. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have a 2 yr old and will be waiting until I feel ready after this one to go.
    Recovery with my last wasn't quick and I had a few complications so I plan to let my body heal before I put myself in, what to me is, an uncomfortable position. So it really depends on how this recovery goes as to how soon I will start.
    I will be going for an associates of art degree. :)
  • Options
    Finishing my PhD online right now. Slow and steady wins the prize!!! Good luck to you
  • Options
    Taking 4 online classes now. The semester ends about 2 weeksafter baby is born. Sometimes I'm glad I'm still powering through but sometimes I'm so exhausted and overwhelmed because I do work full time and have two teens I drive to n from sports.
  • Options
    Starting back up at school in a couple of weeks still in my pregnancy. After the LO comes I will take a few months to adjust and spend quality time during the most precious moments of having my first baby. Then I'm back to school and work plus I'm a single mom and im breast feeding! It may be hard but if you want it bad enough anything possible :)
  • Options
    I took the last 3 night courses needed to graduate with my accounting diploma starting when my dd was 4ish months old! You can do it! Somedays were hard, and it seemed the couple days leading up to an exam she was in a sleep regression (that made it tough).
  • Options
    I am a junior in college and start my classes tonight. I'm taking two online and two night classes. The online classes end at the end of October (they're accelerated yippee :|) but my two night classes end in the middle of December. I plan to be honest with my professors and tell them straight up that I'm pregnant and trying to finish college so I may need a little help to accomplish that, especially if baby is late and comes during finals week. I've heard stories of a lot of women that have been able to do it and the last thing I want to do is take a semester off because then I feel like I won't want to go back lol.
  • Options
    I'm taking two accelerated classes from Aug 24 - Oct 16 and then two more accelerated classes from Oct 26 - Dec 14. I'm sticking to online for now because I have a two year old at home all day also, but I'm lucky enough that all my course work is uploaded the first day so I can work ahead. I signed up for more of the general Ed classes this semester than usual just because they tend to be very easy for me. It's not impossible, but it does require determination.
  • Options
    My degree doesn't offer online courses. I told my professors today about my situation and due date. They were very understanding, just I'm not sure how long after the baby I should wait until I return to class