September 2015 Moms

Advice please! High Blood Pressure & Narrow Pelvis (38 wks)

Hi - I just got back from my 38 week OB appointment, and expected the usual boring visit. But instead, my blood pressure (which has been normal this entire pregnancy) was high at 131/98 and then 133/93 and my doctor said I may have preeclampsia. She said to go check my blood pressure every day at the pharmacy and if it hits 140/90 or higher that I need to go to triage right away to be induced. On the way home, DH and I stopped at the pharmacy and checked it again and it was back in the normal range. Also, she did a cervical check (apparently I have a posterior cervix so she couldn't tell if I was dilated at all), and told me that I have a narrow pelvis so if the baby is big I could have trouble delivering vaginally (she said there was no point in getting an ultrasound to see the size of the baby because it can be off by so much). She has a pretty poor bedside manner and it seems that she left it that if I want a c section it's in my hands. Has anyone had either or both of these situations happen, or have any advice? I have honestly been terrified of delivering vaginally this entire pregnancy, but am obviously aware of the risks/longer recovery time with a c section. But I fear attempting delivering vaginally and having a really difficult labor/delivery, and potentially ending in a c section anyway. Also scared of the high blood pressure resulting in a low platelet count which could mean not being able to have an epidural, which I was absolutely counting on!!! Feeling overwhelmed and totally confused about what choice to make...really appreciate any advice or sharing similar situations. 

Re: Advice please! High Blood Pressure & Narrow Pelvis (38 wks)

• My SIL ended up having a big baby and was also told she had a narrow pelvis. Well after 36 hours of labor and trying to have a vaginal birth, they finally decided it was time to do the csection. Whatever method you decide will be the right one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was diagnosed with hypertension at the beginning of my pregnancy and have had to keep an eye on it all along, but I was told that they would not be worried about it until it hits 160/100. The highest mine has been is 148/92, and the dr didn't seem too worried. Also, I've been told with preeclampsia, sudden swelling occurs and possibly headaches. I wouldn't be too worried. My blood pressure fluctuates a lot throughout the day and it's always higher in the mornings. I'm not letting my Dr scare me into anything. I won't be induced if it's not medically necessary. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have an ultrasound tomorrow and ill be 38w3d. Its just to see how big baby is. My doctor saod even though it can be off by a few lbs its better to see. My belly is 6 weeks ahead of time so she might be really large. If it says anything over 10 he wants to know just in case.