Babies: 0 - 3 Months

6 week old suddenly eating less

DS has never eaten all that much at one time. The most he's ever eaten is maybe 3.5 ounces, but usually its around 2-3. One Thursday we started transitioning to Elecare due to a milk protein sensitivity. Ever since he's only been eating 1-2 ounces on avg. Maybe one bottle a day he'll take 3. There is only a little bit of the new formula mixed with the old stuff since we're slowly transitioning, and he doesn't get upset so I don't think its because he doesn't like the formula. He just either falls asleep or pushes the nipple out of his mouth. Should I be concerned? Yesterday he had a total of maybe 18 or 19 ounces. 
Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 6 week old suddenly eating less

• Lady, I feel like you and I are living the same life! My 6 week old doesn't eat much at one time either, and she will eat 2-2.5 oz at a time and thats it. She doesn't seem upset or hungry, she just isn't a big eater and will fall asleep or just refuse to latch. The only difference is I'm EBFing so I only know how much she is eating from weighed feeds. Is he still wetting enough diapers? If so, I'm sure he is fine.
  • Yep, plenty of wet diapers and usually two dirty diapers a day.
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like he is getting what he needs. He may just be more of a "snacker" (that is how my LC described DD to me)
  • I would definitely call the Pedi but it sounds like he's doing ok. Perhaps this will pass.
  • We went thru that around the 6 week time too. He was eating between 3-4 ounces prior to that, then all of a sudden around that time, it was hard to get 2 ounces down him.

Now that we are 9 weeks , he is back up to 3 to 5 ounces!