December 2015 Moms

LaMaze Method

Useless doctors are useless, but I'm currently stuck with her because of my current health insurance restrictions, so please don't tell me to just check with my doctor. Nothing comes out of it. Ever. 

When is it too early to sign up for LaMaze? Has anyone else gone to them yet? 

The place I'm currently going for my gyno doesn't offer any prenatal classes...so do I just go to another hospital/office? If that's the case, do I try to register to give birth at the same hospital the classes are? FTM, I have a lot of questions, and no one to really ask. 

What other classes are important to take, do you think? Are couples necessary? I don't know if my husband can come to them, due to work :< 

Thanks in advanced! 

Re: LaMaze Method

• Does the hospital that you'll be delivering at offer any classes?
  • I haven't heard of LaMaze classes in a long time. In fact, im pretty sure Lamaze breathing techniques isn't even used or recommended anymore. The hospital you deliver at should offer birthing classes. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell ya. Is there a specific reason you want to do Lamaze?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not currently registered at a hospital. I just transferred to this gyno a little over 4 weeks ago. The hospital next to it is convenient but the reviews are frightening... I haven't found classes available on their website. 

• I'm not currently registered at a hospital. I just transferred to this gyno a little over 4 weeks ago. The hospital next to it is convenient but the reviews are frightening... I haven't found classes available on their website. 

You don't need to be registered, it all depends on which hospital your OB delivers out of, that's where you'll be delivering. If there aren't classes on their site, maybe call the hospital and ask.
  • drewmwdrewmw member
    edited August 2015
    yl1m32015 said:

I haven't heard of LaMaze classes in a long time. In fact, im pretty sure Lamaze breathing techniques isn't even used or recommended anymore. The hospital you deliver at should offer birthing classes. Other than that, I'm not sure what else to tell ya. Is there a specific reason you want to do Lamaze?

Lamaze is definitely still a thing. I'm an L&D nurse at a large teaching hospital and I get patients who have taken lamaze classes somewhat regularly. There is a center in my city that teaches all kinds of childbirth and child care classes, but Lamaze is their main class.

To answer the OP, try looking for some online classes or maybe some good books/ dvds. Not the same as a hands on class, but better than nothing?
  • I found some yoga breathing techniques on you tube. I do the videos in the comfort of my home. I heard the classes can be a waste of time from friends who just had babies.
  • You can take prenatal classes anywhere you choose, doesn't have to be at your hospital/you don't have to take classes and birth at the same hospital either. You can research different methods and get the books/videos etc of your choice - most are available online these days.
  • Well to be frank, I asked my gyno what classes I should be taking and what she recommended and she just said do whatever I want, so I'm kind of flying blind, dragging with me a big ol bag of resentment. 

No particular reason for LaMaze, but a birthing class of some sort would be appreciated. As I stated I have a bunch of questions (I can get really unbearable to be around when I'm not in control of things and have no idea what's going on). I'm trying to make the actual delivery as stress-less as possible for those around me as well as myself lol 

I'll look into online/books and hope for the best. Thank you ladies! 
  • redfallonredfallon member
    edited August 2015
    Here are some on YouTube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8IBjnmAH74

Other there, too. Go to YouTube and search for Lamaze birthing classes or birthing classes.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I would change OB too. Talk to your insurance. You dont sound happy with this one honey and this doctor will be having your life and your LO's life on her hands. You gotta be happy and trust her.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Mizuiro007Mizuiro007 member
    edited September 2015
    I'm not certain about birthing specific classes but I've seen a lot of free classes that BRU offers in their stores. You can also check online for private classes. I've seen some doulas that are certified instructors and will come to your home and teach you.

I mostly went the online/book route with DS but with classes there are breastfeeding (registering with BRU you can get a free online breastfeeding course), child/infant cpr and first aid, parenting classes in different age levels but ones teaching newborn care can be helpful for first time parents, child birth and natural child birth. Some yoga studios may offer pregnancy sessions to help you get ready and learn breathing.

*I've also seen BRU sometimes offer classes on baby wearing and cloth diapering in which you get to try out different brands/types.

I don't think it's ever too early to sign up. I've always been told classes fill up quickly so you want to register early to get a spot in the classes you want. Also in case something would come and cause a class to be pushed back, you want to fit it in before baby comes.
  • yl1m32015 said:

I'm not currently registered at a hospital. I just transferred to this gyno a little over 4 weeks ago. The hospital next to it is convenient but the reviews are frightening... I haven't found classes available on their website. 

You don't need to be registered, it all depends on which hospital your OB delivers out of, that's where you'll be delivering. If there aren't classes on their site, maybe call the hospital and ask.
    While it is true that you really don't get to pick your hospital because you will deliver at your OB's primary hospital, it isn't necessarily true that you don't have to register at that hospital. Once you know what hospital your OB uses, contact the labor and delivery department of that hospital or check out their website. Most hospitals require that anyone who plans to deliver there must fill out pre-registration forms do that they already have all of your info (including medical insurance) on file and your signatures giving them authorization to treat you when you come in. If you don't register in advance you run the risk of them making you fill out even more paperwork when you show up already in labor.