December 2015 Moms

Too Much Weight?

So I am 23 weeks and 4 days and I had my doc apt last Friday (23 weeks and 1 day). I feel like I am gaining too much weight. I started out at 150lbs and my weigh in at the docs was 176. I don't understand because I still get nausea so I am not eating a lot of food during the day and I don't eat unhealthy when I do eat. The doc hasn't said anything about my weight, but I think that it is too much...... Is this something to worry about?

Re: Too Much Weight?

• There are guidelines based on your started BMI that tell you how much weight is healthy to gain during pregnancy. It's much lower than most people realize.
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Your doctor will let you know if you need to worry, if they haven't said anything you're probably fine.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am more worried because I still have 17 weeks to go. Typically it is a lb per week right? So does that mean another 17 lbs? I would be about 195 at that point.
  • I would suggest talking to your doctor about what should be healthy for you.
  • https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy-weight-gain-estimator

Or just google, and use free online tools that know current weight gain guidelines
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • rdiltsrdilts member
    edited August 2015
    nik6499 thank you for the link. The chart says that I am at the weight I should be when I am 40 weeks..... :( I know some of it is due to my legs swelling and retaining water but I am a bit nervous. I don't want to end up too big.
  • @rdilts trust me your doctor will tell you if you go overboard or are in danger of getting gestational diabetes, etc. Most of what you gain in the beginning is water weight, increased blood volume and the placenta... baby doesn't truly get their weight until 30ish weeks and even then it's ounces at a time. The lb per week adage isn't until the very end but again that's a guideline.

That said if it makes you feel better Kelly Ripa gained 80+ lbs during each pregnancy and she's 5'2". One of the trainers at my gym gained 65lbs even though she worked out ever day. I guess the point I'm trying to make is focus more on growing a healthy baby and less on your weight gain. Yes it feels yucky and your not used to it but you're growing life! Eat more greens and less burgers and if you're that bothered exercise a bit.
  • I weighed the same with my first! A few days before I delivered I weighed 195! 20 lbs came off within the first few weeks but then I stress ate and gained it backed =/ My doctor wasn't too concerned, she would just remind me to have frequent little meals and ease up on the carbs, I ate bagels constantly lol This time around she seemed a little more concerned since I still have the baby weight, turned cookies and goldfish weight, from my first. If the Dr is concerned they'll tell you!!
  • Thanks guys! It's been so long since I was pregnant (10 years) I can't remember what I had gained. Also I was young so it was pretty easy for me to bounce back after. I am just worried about bouncing back mostly.
  • grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited August 2015
    All you can do is try to make healthy choices and stay active, and everything else is pretty much out of our control. Your doc will test for GD and other issues around 26-28 weeks.
  • I try to stay active, but my legs are pretty swollen and they hurt when I try to walk around. I have tried other things like yoga (which I normally love) but I can't do that either. Riding a bike is out of the question right now.
  • That's a question for your doctor. Every woman is different. My sister has four kids. She gained 14 with one and 50 with another. All her kids are happy and healthy and so is she. If your doctor isn't concerned, don't stress too much. Weight gain is a part of pregnancy. Make good food decisions, drink water, get active how and when you can. That's about all you can do.