December 2015 Moms
Options

Rant glucose test

:((
Silly me for assuming glucose tests would be similar around the globe. I expected to be here for over a hour but not 2!! I'm stuck here with an IV in my right arm. Was told I couldn't have breakfast so I drank that gross stuff on an empty stomach. After an hr they'll pull more blood and then I have to drink another sugary thing and wait another hr so they can take more blood!! They won't even let me have water... I beyond hate this! :((

Re: Rant glucose test

• Options
    Wow that sux!! I had mine this morning and had to have blood taken after fasting overnight, then drink the sugary drink, then blood taken after an hour and then another lot
    Of blood taken an hour after that.
  • Options
    Maybe the IV is so they don't have to poke you again? Bright side? Lol. That blows though for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    rmarie13rmarie13 member
    edited August 2015
    Very true, 1 poke is better than 3! I'm a big baby when it comes to needles. Hate them with a passion. Apparently I misunderstood and didn't have to drink the sugary stuff twice. Here's to hoping I pass this and don't have to do it again!!

Edited bc I'm high on sugar.
  • Options
    I'm never hungry in the morning and of course I have my glucose test in 2.5 hours and I'm in bed thinking about how hungry I am! I'll probably bring a pb&j sandwich to my doctor appointment and eat it asap! Sorry you had to get an IV, but yes, just one poke as PP said. Fingers crossed you pass!
  • Options
    Good luck! I inhaled an apple and a pint of water as soon as I left (;
  • Options
    I had to fast for mine too. The night before my test I dreamed of food all night. I woke up starving at 5:30 am to get my kids to school. My apt wasn't until 8:30. I had to do the 3 hr test. The glucola crap is so nasty I did all I could not to throw it up. Bad part is I barely passed it then at my last ob apt I had glucose in my urine so she wants me to take it again next month.
  • Options
    I must be crazy, I thought the drink tasted good, haha!
  • Options
    @hplunkett2883 that sucks!! I hope it's easier the 2nd time and that you pass with flying colors!
  • Options
    @rmarie13 Thanks for the well wishes but I am pretty sure I will not pass it. I had GD with my last 2 pregnancies, so things are not in my favor. But no biggie just a diet change. I have already been trying to get a head start with that.
  • Options

I must be crazy, I thought the drink tasted good, haha!

Yup!! You're crazy! :) mine was "fruit punch" flavored... More like candy coated vomit!!
  • Options
    The orange one is better than the fruit punch one
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I only had to do the 1 hour (89 mg/dL one hour after drinking it) and mine was just clear non-flavored sickening sweet liquid. If it had a flavor like some of the PP's I probably would've vomited it up before even making it to a restroom.
  • Options
    Great... I failed mine by 5 f#€king points!!! X(
  • Options
    Mine was lemon-lime flavored. It wasn't too bad, but I don't want to drink it again. The 3hr drink was much sweeter than the 1hr drink. During the 3 hour test, they wouldn't let me have any water or walk around at all. They said those things could falsely lower my blood sugar. I felt so sick, so I laid down, and then one of the lab techs told me I couldn't so that either. Luckily another lab tech said it was fine as long as I didn't fall asleep. I still have no idea how I kept myself from throwing-up during that test. By the 3rd blood draw, they were having a difficult time finding a vein. I think it was because I was so dehydrated. An IV may have been better. I had so many bruises after that test!
  • Options
    @navyblueladybug does that mean you have to do the 3 hour one now?
    My results won't be ready until Thursday and I'm really worried about it!
    That stuff made me dizzy and hot so I'm thinking I didn't process the sugar well
  • Options
    I hope mine goes well. They gave me the liquid stuff to take home. And for me to come back in after drinking it on a empty stomach. Can I just say no to this test?
  • Options
    redfallonredfallon member
    edited August 2015
    I hope mine goes well. They gave me the liquid stuff to take home. And for me to come back in after drinking it on a empty stomach. Can I just say no to this test?
    Sure, you can probably skip it, but here is a thread from the 2nd tri board with a lot of reasons why that isn't such a great idea:

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12618740/gestational-diabetes-test

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @rmarie13 Yes, I have to go back on 9/11 and do the three hour one. Not looking forward to sitting in a lab for 3 hours :-w
  • Options
    I'm pumped cause my midwife gave me alternatives. So I will be downing.ginger ale.
  • Options
    nik6499 said:

The orange one is better than the fruit punch one

I had the orange, it really just tasted like flat Fanta soda.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Had my three hour test yesterday. Four pokes. After waiting five hours, not being told my doctor was out, and nurses not wanting to call with my results I found out I passed. Phew! Good luck!!
  • Options
    I can drink it at home and then show up to my dr 45 minutes later to have my blood drawn at the hr mark...is that not the normal way people do it? I couldn't imagine sitting there for an hour just waiting!
  • Options
    I can drink it at home and then show up to my dr 45 minutes later to have my blood drawn at the hr mark...is that not the normal way people do it? I couldn't imagine sitting there for an hour just waiting!
    Not all offices do it the same way. I will go in the morning fasting, get poked, drink the juice, sit for an hour, get poked again, sit for an hour, get poked again, and then I'll be done. My OB does a 2 hour test.

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    Since I work at the hospital I just wandered down there when it was time for a poke ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD May 2005 MC Nov. 2012
    MC Aug. 2014
    Chemical Feb. 2015
  • Options
    I am in the same boat, was a little high after the 1 hour so now I am patiently waiting at my 2 hour. Really hoping things are normal after this test.
  • Options

I'm pumped cause my midwife gave me alternatives. So I will be downing.ginger ale.

I'm with you on this one. My birthing center has an alternative option where you just make a specific smoothie with fruit, yogurt, and honey. You just drink it right before your appointment and they take blood an hour later. I'm so excited about that option.
  • Options
    @Knottie67744546 You can refuse anything you want but it is not typically a good idea. I am a registered dietitian and was the pregnancy dietitian at my last job I actually had one or 2 patients that I saw for gestational diabetes management because they had refused the test that would have said they didn't have GM (I don't know if they had GM before and just preferred the diet to the test or if they just hated the test that much that they just went with the diet--the diet really isn't bad once you understand it). My patients did have to measure their blood glucose at home as part of the diet they just didn't have to do the glucose challenge.
    @mperotti220 That is strange to me because your blood sugar will continue to drop with time so in my opinion your doctor is really trusting and potentially setting themselves up for liability issues by letting patients time it themselves (it would be really easy to let an extra 15-45 minutes get in there and then the test wouldn't be as accurate).  
  • Options
    I had five minutes to drink the fruit punch flavored drink and on the last sip she said to come to the back to let them know so they could start the timer. I tried not to gulp it but it still made my empty stomach hurt a bit. I was hoping I could walk around outside but she said I couldnt leave the sight of the phlebotomists. Maybe a slight headache for a minute but all of that went away when I went back to have it drawn. Ended up laying down so I don't pass out then they couldn't fine veins on either arm and had to use my hand. Then as Im leaving the lady is like "get ready to come back! No one passes the first one!" Great. I may just ask them to assume I have it and put me on the diet or do an IV or whatever. One poke please, no more.
  • Options
    @eamarat I just tell anyone who sticks me that I don't like needles and so they do an IV port and make sure they get a nurse who is good at it, that way they only stick me once. I got sick in college and had to labs multiple times a week and had so many bad experiences I now get some needle anxiety (which I never had before--I hold my breath and stuff which makes them nervous...). I work in healthcare and the nurses I work with say I have great veins and therefore it is totally inexcusable for anyone to be digging for veins!
  • Options
    I hate needles too! When I was younger I passed out every time they drew blood. Looks like I won't be poked for the rest of the month because I passed the glucose test! My OB said he'd leave me alone this month and let me rest (;