January 2016 Moms

Don't skip teeth cleanings!

I woke up yesterday with severe pain and swelling on the right side of my face and in my mouth. I had an ugly sore that I almost wrote off to be a canker sore. I decided to get it checked out and it turned out to be pyogenic granuloma..a benign pregnancy tumor on my gums. I had minor surgery to remove it and thankfully within a little over an hour since the surgery and cleaning, pain and swelling is deceasing. I read online this occurs in about 5-10% pregnant women, and I was one of them! Lesson well learned since it's been years since my last cleaning. Never again will I skip one, pregnant or not :) Just thought I would pass this along because it's easily forgotten! Wish you all healthy pregnancies

Re: Don't skip teeth cleanings!

• Didn't know that could happen! Glad you had it checked out and fixed!

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Glad everything was ok! I went to te dentist last week and, though I dont have it, my dentist said that pregnancy gingivitis is a thing. So if you happen to get that then its a thing and she said it shouls go away after pregnancy (unless youre breastfeeding it may linger a little) but of course get checked out by them if it happens to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • It's actually encouraged to get cleanings MORE often while pregnant. Most dental insurances will cover an extra cleaning on top of your 2x per year during pregnancy. I used to work for a dental office and we heard it so often that women would cancel appts because they didn't think they should be in an office getting it done and you actually want the exact opposite!

PP- I had a small patch of pregnancy gingivitis with DD. It was awful! Mine only lasted a few weeks but it can definitely last longer!