November 2015 Moms

Measuring Small Worry

After measuring me with the tape measure today, my doctor said the baby is measuring small. She scheduled an ultrasound for first thing Monday morning. I'm trying so hard to be positive, but I'm petrified. I'm 30 weeks. My last ultrasound was in the end of July and I was told everything looked great and that there was plenty of amniotic fluid. Her hr has been normal. The doctor said it might be because I'm tall and have a longer torso. She wasn't alarmed or I feel she'd have done the ultrasound herself (the tech was gone for the day) or sent us to l&d at the hospital. Anyone have experience with this? I should have checked other threads on this before writing, but I'm too nervous to think!!!!!

Re: Measuring Small Worry

• If your doctor is not too concerned I would trust her instinct. I measured 2-3 weeks behind with both my Boys and With this little girl I was measuring off by 4 weeks at my last visit. 

As of Yesterday i was measuring 2 weeks behind (yay) 

I hide my babies and I have a slender small frame. 

Measuring can be affected by your body type, Babies position , poor measurement, or baby could just be a small baby.

• Loading the player...
  • My kids have always sat on one side or the other instead of being in the middle so the measurements have always been a little bit off. The ultrasounds showed that they were on the smaller side, but still completely normal. If you were measuring that much behind, it is likely that your doctor wouldn't have made you wait through the weekend.
  • If they are not to concerned about it I would not worry to much, they would have, if anything, sent you to L&D for a sono to check if it was an immediate emergency. As pp said, DD lays on one specific side not directly in the middle and is usually positioned weired and the measurements are usually off a bit. Plus they mentioned you having a long torso could be a factor..
  • I was measuring 2 weeks behind last week. My dr said it was not a problem unless I was 3+ weeks behind and continued to fall behind. I got put on bedrest (for other reasons) this week and have literally just been lying on the couch chugging water. I checked in with my dr Thurs and measured a half week ahead! He said I may have been dehydrated and thus not had enough amniotic fluid, but now that's all fixed! Still on bedrest but not worried about baby's size anymore. My advice would be don't stress and drink a lot of water before Monday :).
  • I am the complete opposite my lo is measuting 4 weeks ahead of schedule. I am not surprised given my DH is 6'8'' but the doctor is concerned and I have to go back in 2 weeks to be checked again. Kind of freaked this kid is coming a lot earlier than expected. I literally have nothing for it.
  • Me too. 28 weeks and 2 weeks behind. I'm taller and with longer torso and hips. Pretty sure baby is transverse too.
  • I am 6ft1, and slender, I am measuring ahead (fundal) she said if I was having a big baby like my mom did, she would also need room to grow, so she was not worried at all. Everyone is different.
  • edited August 2015
    Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate it! It sure helped me get through the weekend. Turns out everything is great. DD is measuring right on time. She weighs 4lbs, 3 oz and is in the 67th percentile. She is also in position! DH and I are so happy and relieved. We will sleep well tonight..as well as a new job and an impending move will allow! Hope everyone is doing well today!