February 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding with TWINS?!?!

Are there any mothers here who have twins and have breastfeed? Or are any of you having twins now and are considering breastfeeding? I am worried with twins it may be to overwhelming.

Re: Breastfeeding with TWINS?!?!

• I know two people who have. One had to supplement here and there. Bf'ing one is a challenge so I'm sure two would be even more so but I think it's totally doable! Because one of my breasts didn't produce milk, I breast fed my son exclusively on one breast. Not the same but I can attest that one boob can provide enough milk for one baby :)

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• It's totally possible to tandem nurse! Your body will adjust to suit their needs :) the breastfeeding board here is a great resource and may answer any in depth questions.
  • Loading the player...
  • There's a great mama I followed years ago who breasfed triplets! She has some great resources and posts from when she did it years ago.

https://actualjenny.com/tag/breastfeeding/
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:
  • The multiples board might be a good resource too. I know some one who EBF one twin and EP for the other. They made it past a year.
    DD: 8  DD: 3.5  DS:18M
    Baby #4 Due: 2/4/2016
    Feb16 August Siggy Challenge
    Favorite TV Mom

• I breastfed my girls for a little over 4 months. Tandem nursing was really difficult because my girls never liked to touch eachother while nursing so it just made the process really time consuming so I went to EP'ing which resulted in a massive oversupply that I couldn't get under control (I'm talking like pumping 12-17oz every 2 hours) so ultimately I decided to stop but it IS possible!
  • edited August 2015
    I plan to try and hope it works out. I breastfed my son, but he was only one baby.
    My hospital has a class on breastfeeding multiples that I'm taking in November. Maybe you can find a class too?

Edited for clarity
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have no experience with twins, but I actually saw a lactation consultant while nursing my son.  I had to supplement with formula because he just ate so damn much lol, and the one thing I remember her saying is that even if you have to supplement, any breast milk is better then none.  I would think it's common with twins.  Good luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker  

• @MamaFroFro can I ask, were your boobs lopsided when you did that? I produce significantly more milk on the left side, and have thought about forgetting the right side all together (this was later on, like 9 months in or so, not with a newborn) but I was worried my chest would look super uneven. My boobs are tiny when not PG or BF.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited August 2015
    @MississippiCatfish Yes they were extremely lopsided! No striped shirts for me and I looked pretty funny in a bathing suit. This time round, if I have to do that again, I will invest in a nice padded insert so it's not so obvious. I gave up on my one breast after about 3 months so I dealt with the lopsided issue until my son weaned at 14 months but even before I gave up on the one side they were off just not as much.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• No advice, but I'm planning to at least try to nurse my twins. I bf my son for 6 months until we determined that he was lactose intolerant and he went to a hypoallergenic formula. He was a very inefficient nurser, and it took 40+ mins to feed him each time. I'm hoping it will be better the second time around, but we'll see.
    BabyFruit Ticker Follow my baby story at: http://www.nycitified.blogspot.com/
  • I exclusively breastfed my twins for 18 months! It's very doable if you find your rhythm and stick to it. It's tough in the beginning but it gets easier. I didn't tandem a whole lot, especially in the beginning because unless you have help getting the babies to you and latched, you can't do it very well before they can latch on themselves. I started tandem feeding around 1 or 2 months but I only did occasionally before we left somewhere to save time and before bed. I much preferred solo feeding. It all depends on how your babies nurse too. Mine were really fast eaters so it wasn't like I was nursing each baby for an hour each. 15 mins was all they really needed. If you need more advice or have questions, feel free to message me!!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker