Trying to Get Pregnant

Too soon to start clomid?

After my appt today, my RE is confident that I am going to need to start clomid next cycle and I think it's too soon. Here's our story for those that don't know....

Started tracking cycles in jan of this year. I have stage 4 endo (most recent surgery Oct 2014) and was diagnosed with pcos this year. From Jan-May I had to use provera 3 times to induce new cycles. Follicles never matured and hormones were very suppressed due to being on BC and synarel for endo. Started TTC in May and have finally started ovulating on my own (twice since May) and both times my follicles were very small (<12 mm). I am now on CD19 and my follicles are all very small (~5-7mm) and my dr is fairly certain based on u/s and bloodwork that I might not be producing mature follicles. He is wanting me to start clomid next cycle and I am worried it may be too soon. This was my first full cycle on 2000 mg of Metformin and he said I should know by now if it is going to help. I am not overweight and my diagnosis for PCOS comes from my u/s of ovaries and not my bloodwork. I had an HSG during my surgery last October and DH has had a SA which were both good. While I would really like to get KU I am scared of clomid. After reading about the horror stories of women on here I just don't know if I am ready to take something so strong. (I have read the clomid spill on here countless times.) Due to my endo my dr doesn't want to wait too long before going to the next step for fear that I might end up needing another surgery.

I know it varies between people but I am just curious if this seems like too soon to be starting clomid. Opinions, suggestions, experiences all appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Too soon to start clomid?

• bsckgb7bsckgb7 member
    edited August 2015

The horror stories on Clomid are from us trying to scare ladies who are taking it UNMONITORED from an OB.  Lots of OBs hand out the stuff like candy and never monitor follicles, cm & hormones to check for response.  Its the first line of treatments in the infertility world, so pretty common from an RE standpoint. 

I had one monitored cycle with RE (with Letrozole) and after a PC test, he jumped straight to IUI.  It seemed "early" to me to be jumping so fast into that, so I feel your concern.

However, if you are really uncomfortable, please speak up and tell him you want to wait another cycle.   

ETA: I doubt you'll ever hear the "clomid spill" on here as long as the proper tests and monitoring are done (which is sounds they have/will be). 

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP. It sounds like your RE's concern is your follies... If they aren't maturing on their own, then you aren't going to get KU. I would take it, especially since you'll be followed by an RE (re: proper monitoring!). As @kgbbsc7 mentioned, it's a common first step when working with an RE. Clomid sounds scary when reading the stories and the typical spiel, because we are giving these facts to women who aren't working with an RE and have "been trying for a few months, are majorly concerned, and the OB recommended the drug."

With your endo, I would also be concerned about the length of time you are off BC. For this reason especially, I would be inclined to start Clomid.
  • As I was reading this I was totally thinking we need @TheBorg7of9

Glad you pop by once in awhile! 
    :D
  • AgGal2010 said:

Thank you ladies!!! I agree with all of you. I guess I just had this idea that we wouldn't need any medical intervention and I don't know if that is going to be the case. My RE has said on several occasions that he doesn't like to do clomid for very long and tends to move along to IVF after a few failed cycles since it has a higher success rate. I know I am definitely not ready for IVF so I guess worse case scenario we could just try this and if it doesn't work maybe take some time off from TTC.

I am also very worried about having multiples. While I would welcome any baby or babies, I would rather not have any litters. Who knew that something that should be so natural can be so complicated! Can't I just be 16 and have high school problems again?!

If you're worried about multiples, you can always cancel if you have too many follies.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited August 2015
    Hi, I'm a fellow cycter and was diagnosed based on blood work vs. ovaries - my ovaries look great, but my testosterone and androgen are too high for me to ovulate. Im at high risk for endo due to very irregular cycles and anovulation, but so far my lining is ok so I cant offer any encouragement there except that my Dr. told me to call him for provera to jump start my cycle anytime after 40 days, instead of waiting 60. What i've learned about PCOS is that there are different types and treatment varies by person. I'm only slightly overweight (i'm 5'5 and weigh 150), and I take Metformin and Clomid. 1 thing about metformin that is a common misconception is that it's for "fat" people - the way your body processes INSULIN (not necessarily sugar) and being overweight are 2 different things, but more often than not if you have insulin resistance you will gain weight - but that doesn't mean you will, you're just more likely to. There are plenty of women with IR who are a healthy/slim weight. 2nd, I was scared of my 1st Clomid cycle too but MY personal experience has been good. I didn't ovulate on 50mg, and i had no side effects or hyper stimulation - because  I dont ovulate on my own, period. If you're being monitored by an RE, you shouldn't have issues with it, however everyone reacts differently. If you're too scared to try Clomid you can ask for alternatives, I heard femara works great but my Dr. wants to try Clomid 1st. Again, everyone is different.

Oh, and my SIL has conceived all of her children through Clomid and now trying for baby #3 and has never had multiples. You can definately have your cycle cancelled if you have too many follicles. BUT even if you have 2-3, keep in mind that even with a trigger shot there's no guarantee all will rupture, fertilize, and implant. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• The 12 months for an RE and intervention is for a normal healthy couple. If you have any medical issues that can and will interfere with conceptions makes that very different.
    You attempted to TTC but noticed that your have some very abnormal cycles and what not.
    I agree with your RE for your care. Good luck.
  • Thanks for all of your support and advice. I am feeling better about it for next cycle. Honestly one of the parts I am most nervous about is having to do IUI. I don't know if my dr will have is do it or not but I think that's what will feel most unnatural to me. After thinking about it I can handle taking a pill, but I want to be able to make a baby the old fashioned way. Is it standard to do IUI with clomid? Could I convince my dr to let us try just having sex the first couple of cycles before going straight to IUI?
  • As long as it's monitored, I would do it.

@TheBorg7of9 I don't know where you posted your BFP.I'm assuming in a TWW that I didn't see but I wanted to say congrats to you!

mrstmoose said:
    As I was reading this I was totally thinking we need @TheBorg7of9
    Me too! Soon as I read the thread title :D

Glad you pop by once in awhile! 
    :D

@mrstmoose Me too! Soon as I read the thread title :D

TTC #2

What i'm trying: Seed Cycling,Fertility Friend,&Charting.
    My Ovulation Chart

• Linsbins said:
    You can do whatever you want. However, do you want to waste "a few" cycles without pulling out all the stops when there's a 6 cycle limit on Clomid? That's for your whole lifetime! Before TTC I thought I would never do IVF or any "unnatural" things. Now I'm like, knock me up! I think you should run through some scenarios by yourself and with your RE to get an idea of how many cycles you would do certain things for.
    I agree with this. I've done Clomid twice (with trigger shot) and it's not as bad as some people say, its different for everyone though, but yes definitely make sure youre being monitored by your RE. I think its a good call especially with the size of the follicles you have been producing with the previous medication. Also I'm right there with @linsbins I took a one month break - currently waiting on AF to call the RE again - and now I'm like lets do this, lets knock me up! 

Me: 30
    Hubs: 31
    Married: 05/04/2013
    BFP#1: Natural Loss; 8/12/14
    BFP#2: D&C 3/7/15

Chart Stalk:

• I just wanted to come and say that I completely understand how you're feeling about "needing medical treatment" to get pregnant vs. wanting to get pregnant the old fashioned way. I actually had a conversation with a good friend who put it into perspective for me. I think a lot of us wanting to do things a certain way is this standard that we've built for ourselves based on what we think is the "right way to do things". Society makes us think that everyone gets pregnant naturally, has a natural labor, breast feeds and magically all raises babies this ideal way.

But what my friend pointed out to me is that at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how you get your baby, how you deliver, whether you breast feed or not or even how you raise your child because everyone is different. Who knows how many women out there needed medication to get pregnant.. it's just because no one talks about it (which totally sucks in my opinion). Ultimately, as my RE doctor recently said "You can continue to try naturally, but if you want a baby like yesterday.. then lets start the meds".

I would definitely make sure that you are comfortable with your RE doctor and that you've voiced all your concerns. I was very concerned about Clomid and side effects too that I've heard stories about .. but when I started asking around to people I knew went through the RE process, they all said they actually had little side effects and they all ended up having children. One other option to ask your doctor about is Femara which reportedly has less side effects that Clomid and less of a chance of multiples because you only produce 1-2 follicles per cycle (this is what I'm going to start right after my next period). I know there are certain situations when they give Clomid vs. Femara but definitely something to ask about if you're really scared of multiples/side effects!

Good luck!!