January 2016 Moms

VITAMINS WHO HAS NOT TAKEN ANY AT ALL

I have not taken vitamins at all I am 21 weeks and 4 days, has anyone else not taken any vitamins at all.

Re: VITAMINS WHO HAS NOT TAKEN ANY AT ALL

• I've known people that didn't know they we're pregnant until about this time and weren't taking vitamins. Can I ask what your reasoning is for not taking vitamins? I am taking prenatals but normally I'm not a big vitamin taker.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am also curious as to why you wouldn't be taking any vitimans, I know some women can not stomach them, especially in the beginning.
  • I take prenatals, extra vitamin E, and probiotics. When I was also taking diclegis I felt like a pill factory, but all my numbers for blood/urine samples are excellent so it's worth it!
  • I have a reminder set on my phone so that I remember to take it every day, but there's no reason not to be taking some kind of supplement even if you do think you're meeting all of your and your baby's nutritional needs with your diet.
  • I just take a gummy multivitamin with DHA (always do pregnant or not) because they're delicious. Started prenatals for the iron when I found out, but I think if you take a basic vitamin that's enough. Are you not taking anything? A lot of people think their diet can replace vitamins, but the majority of people also way overestimate how healthy they actually eat.
  • I don't like taking anything, so when I found out I was expecting I started myself on the gummies everyday, and then about the time I shifted into second tri I switched to the regular prenatal vitamins because there's iron in them and I'm always exhausted since being preggo, still am, but it's helped a little.
  • My OB says gummy vitamins are not sufficient, since they do not contain iron. The office was seeing an increasing trend with anemia when they check levels in the 7th month, and attribute to gummy vitamins.
    (They are tasty tho!)

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• I don't know I worried about why I just have not taken them just did not think it mattered.
  • @willashbaby Ditto, my OB started me on Rx prenatals months before we even tried to conceive, unless you can't stomach them (and then try to find an alternative), there's no reason not to take one pill a day. In fact, it's convinced me to start being better about taking a one-a-day when not pregnant too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also started the 3 pack a day whenever DH and I started considering (months before actually TTC) - My OB really stressed the folic acid importance.  Have you talked to your Dr about this??
  • What did you doctor say? Mine asks me if I'm taking them and what ones I am talking. Have you discussed with your doctor the fact that you don't think it matters? Perhaps she can explain to you why they are important. Ii thought folic acid was important for brain and spinal cord development and I know my iron tends to be low so I need the regular ones.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Same here. This is my second and I am still not taking them. You just have to be confident in your decision, there is no right or wrong answer here. My first pregnancy I discussed my choice with a few mums and they were all mad at me. I delivered a perfectly healthy 9.5 lbs baby girl. I won't discuss it anymore.
  • Kelley421 said:

My OB says gummy vitamins are not sufficient, since they do not contain iron. The office was seeing an increasing trend with anemia when they check levels in the 7th month, and attribute to gummy vitamins.
    (They are tasty tho!)

I'm sure your OB has seen every single gummy on the market...and some women get extremely sick from excess iron and purposely buy iron free prenatals. I eat a spinach salad or red meat every day to compensate.
  • Kelley421 said:

My OB says gummy vitamins are not sufficient, since they do not contain iron. The office was seeing an increasing trend with anemia when they check levels in the 7th month, and attribute to gummy vitamins.
    (They are tasty tho!)

I'm sure your OB has seen every single gummy on the market...and some women get extremely sick from excess iron and purposely buy iron free prenatals. I eat a spinach salad or red meat every day to compensate.
    I actually think this is all gummies, just not prenatals. Iron overdose is fatal in children and since gummies look like candy to kids they don't put them in the vitamins.
  • Veronicab1985Veronicab1985 member
    edited August 2015
    My prenatal vitamins made me sick. I quit taking them after a month. I try to eat a variety of foods. I never really took vitamins before I got pregnant. Always been healthy. Plus I just always forget to take them when I did buy them. They gathered dust on top of my fridge.  
  • Yea I went off prenatals with iron because of constipation and my OB not only advised this, but said it was no big deal as long as you eat well.  She said they will check my levels later to see if its a concern and that it's more important to have my digestive health on track.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • edited August 2015
    I had to switch to the gummies at about 12 weeks because the extra iron in the regular vitamins made my nausea and vomiting so much worse. I tried to switch back last week but the nausea and vomiting started right back up -- so back to the gummies. Hopefully I can try again with more success in another month! 

How have your labs looked so far? The biggest concerns that prenatal vitamins address are the folic acid levels, DHA, and iron. I would definitely discuss it with my doctor at the next appointment if I were you. It doesn't hurt to ask :)
  • I switched to gummy vitamins a couple of months ago because I was always gagging on my regular prenatals. I told my doctor that I had switched to gummies and she said that was fine, but I had never thought about them not containing iron. Does anyone know how often/when they check your iron levels during pregnancy? Is this something that can be checked from the urine samples at every doctor appointment, or can it only be done with a blood test?
  • I have never seen so many people so angry about another's decision! 
    I took a prenatal until we got pregnant, and then had to take 4 months completely without because I couldn't keep them down. I still can't keep them down sometimes. My doctor said if I was sick after taking them, that they were likely depriving me of what nutrition I was getting. So, I take them when I can, and I don't sweat it if I miss a day or two.

You can only make this decision with your partner and your doctor. Together, you'll make the right decision for your baby.

(FYI--I HATE gummies. I did do Flintstones vitamins for a while--it's better than nothing. I also did better once I opted for a separate supplement for DHA. I now use a vegan one that is much kinder to my system. No fish burps!)

• I take a Ovega-3 which is a plant based omega 3 supplement & Blood Builder which has iron and folate. First trimester I took an additional folate pill as well.
  • Thank u ladies I don't know what's going on with me, but it's like had to confess and I needed everyone to.shout at me.sounds weird but it's all the truth.
  • @jezzebelhenry If you were looking for people to yell at you to get your butt in gear and take them, then you were right to post!
    Chances are your baby will be fine without them, but the chances of a healthier baby are higher with them. The evidence is out there for the benefits. Other posters can go on about it being a personal choice, but it now involves a tiny baby who depends on you for everything.
  • That's quite an assumption to think anyone is "mad" over this. You know

I don't know I worried about why I just have not taken them just did not think it mattered.

QFP

I don't think anyone is mad. OP obviously doesn't know why she's not taking them. Personally I'm shocked that someone would willfully opt to not take something so beneficial as a vitamin supplement without even considering why. Yeah, eating healthy is great but it's very unlikely that you will consume all the vitamins you need. You're growing a human FFS. Lots of things this pregnancy are going to be much worse than the texture or taste of a gummy or even children's vitamin. If you're not throwing them up, why not just choke them down?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jezzebelhenryjezzebelhenry member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you jrouge12 and everyone
  • Thanks for coming back @jezzebelhenry , glad we could help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just want to chime in and say that my midwives say the two most important things in pregnancy are prenatals and water. I know they aren't the only ones that say that.
  • I have never seen so many people so angry about another's decision! 
    I took a prenatal until we got pregnant, and then had to take 4 months completely without because I couldn't keep them down. I still can't keep them down sometimes. My doctor said if I was sick after taking them, that they were likely depriving me of what nutrition I was getting. So, I take them when I can, and I don't sweat it if I miss a day or two.

You can only make this decision with your partner and your doctor. Together, you'll make the right decision for your baby.

(FYI--I HATE gummies. I did do Flintstones vitamins for a while--it's better than nothing. I also did better once I opted for a separate supplement for DHA. I now use a vegan one that is much kinder to my system. No fish burps!)

Guess you haven't read the smoking posts then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerMarried DW <3 08.2013; AI 2x; IUI 6x; IUI #7 05.2015; DD born 2.2016 o:); Reciprocal IVF FET #1 on 11.18.2020