March 2016 Moms
Options

Doppler findings at 10 weeks

Hi all! I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks where they discovered twins, both with strong heartbeats. We are so excited! I had an intake appointment about 5 days later & they used their Doppler to try and hear the heartbeats. Before getting started, they told me it's common to not hear them through this external device this early on. Well, they were able to find one heartbeat but not the other. Needless to say, now I am worried. Has anyone had a similar situation? What was the outcome?

Re: Doppler findings at 10 weeks

• Options
    I Have never had twins but finding a heartbeat at 10 weeks is not easy. With my ds they couldn't find it at almost 11 weeks. They sent me for a viability ultrasound and there he was wiggling away. He was so active it was a hard time getting accurate measurements and every appointment they struggled to get a dopplar read because he would squirm away. I just had my 12 week and even still my doctor said not to worry if they couldn't find it. It took her almost 5 minutes to find it. Don't worry most likely everything is fine.
  • Options
    RosyKRosyK member
    edited August 2015
    I had an appt yesterday at 13+3 and it took the ob 2-3 (terrifying) minutes to find the hb. Anything under 10 weeks is almost impossible to hear on Doppler unless baby is being an angel! I wouldn't stress too much.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with pp. Dopplers can be hit or miss especially early on. Twins make it harder simply because they can hide behind each other. I would try not to worry. :)
    March '16 December Siggy Challenge - Favorite Christmas Movies/Quotes
  • Options
    Try not to worry. At nine weeks my doctor found both heart beats with doppler, but she warned me before doing it that one or neither might pop up.
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    My midwife found the HB at 10+6 but only after she checked my uterus and said it was in a good position to be able to find the HB. It still took her a while though. And like everyone said, if it is not found it is not something you need to worry about. Baby may just not be cooperating! Don't stress :)

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm 12 weeks right now and it's still a hard to pick up both heartbeats with the Doppler. One baby comes in clear as day but the second one likes to hide and we can only find it about half the time. I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Options
    At 12 weeks, right after my ultrasound with a perfectly strong heart beat, they could not find/hear it. Since I just had an ultrasound I knew it was fine. My uterus is angled back so that is why it's harder for them to find it. If they thought there was an issue they would have done an US immediately.
  • Options
    It's very common! I couldn't hear my DD's at 10 weeks, didn't hear her until 14 weeks. We barely heard this one at 11 weeks . . . only for about 20 seconds and then the baby moved too low . . . if the midwife had tried a minute later we might not have heard anything at all. She tried to find it again for us so that we could record it, but that little baby just wasn't cooperating.
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    With my 3rd baby, my doctor could never find the heartbeat with the Doppler until 18w. Every time he ended up taking me into the u/s room and doing a quick sonogram. I have had an anterior placenta with every baby so far, so I know that makes it more difficult as well.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    With my first, I found his heart beat daily starting at 8w6d. With this one, I first found it at 9w6d and boy! it was a hassle. It took 30 minutes. Then I couldn't find it for a few days then found it again last night. Its really tricky and its very quiet even with the volume all the way up.
    Bradley Houston - 04.01.13