February 2016 Moms

Birth Plans..

Has anyone decided how they plan on delivering? I've already decided on a natural (non medicated) birth. Any other brave mothers out there? I'm I alone?

Re: Birth Plans..

• I'm planning to go natural too! And will have a doula there to help make it a reality. That said, I'm prepared for anything to happen and know my plan might change based on what is safest. Babies don't know about all these plans we make. Haha.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I am also planning on a natural birth. DH and I are taking a Bradley Method course to help both of us prepare. I know that there are many others in the group who have done this in the past or are planning on doing it this time, so you are definitely not alone.
    Durham, NC
    EDD: 2/20/2016

• Loading the player...
  • @leaa14 all of my friends with kids opted for the epidural and quickly! My mom had all three of us natural so I think maybe it's in the genes lol!
  • KiekKiek member
    I'm planning a water birth at birthing center. I went the hospital and epidural route with my first born. I'm very comfortable with my midwife and have, so far, really enjoyed my visit experience with her.
  • I'm going med-free this time.  I had epis w/ my other 2 so everyone thinks I'm crazy this go around...and I probably am! lol  I'm opting for a water birth in the hospital's family beginnings unit.  I'm just nervous about high BP b/c that would mean I could not have my water birth and I would probably go for the epi then if I had to be confined to a bed and not allowed to move around.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm hoping to go med free, keeping an open mind, in case things don't go as planned.

• @kinnonam my mother also didn't use drugs for either of us which makes me feel more confident. My thought is that this is literally the thing that my (our) bodies are made for doing, so I should be able to do it without help. Also, if it was really, really terrible, no one would have more than one kid, right? ;)
    Durham, NC
    EDD: 2/20/2016

• This is my fourth pregnancy. I'm planning on having another vaginal, natural birth. Especially since this will be my last baby. I had 3 vaginal deliveries already but had an epidural with only my first delivery.
  • I am scared to death of epidurals so I'll probably go the unmedicated route again. I do want to wait to cut the cord until the blood from the cord has all emptied into baby, though.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @pbtoast - I also had a partial placenta previa at my 12 week NT scan. OB said she's not worried at all, that she thinks it'll move by birth. Are you considering a VBAC?

• I am scared to death of epidurals so I'll probably go the unmedicated route again. I do want to wait to cut the cord until the blood from the cord has all emptied into baby, though.
    Did you wait to cut the cord before, or was it immediate? I've read about the benefits to waiting, but that some doctors give a lot of flack for it. What was your experience?

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• @pbtoast - I also had a partial placenta previa at my 12 week NT scan. OB said she's not worried at all, that she thinks it'll move by birth. Are you considering a VBAC?
    No, this is my first. :) My MD didn't notice it until late last week (I'm 17 weeks today) and he's hopeful it will move. He'll check again at my anatomy scan and see if it's moving at all. I'm very hopeful and he seemed very positive about it, too! Other than that (which will likely resolve) I don't know why I feel like I'm going to have a C-section. Maybe just preparing for/expecting the worst? Though, like I said, I really don't think there is a "worst" as long as both me and the baby are healthy and safe.
    Did you wait to cut the cord before, or was it immediate? I've read about the benefits to waiting, but that some doctors give a lot of flack for it. What was your experience?
    It wasn't something I was aware of 19 years ago, but I will ask this time.

• I really want to go natural (unless along the way there are some major complications) but I really want to try! I'm working with midwives so I think I have a better chance of not being pressured to use medications. My mom had to have C-Sections for both me and my sister, so I'm hoping that I'll not have the same problems she did.

I also want to wait to cut the cord until it stops pulsing and I want the baby on me right away to bond, even before getting cleaned off. I figure I'll be gross and sweaty anyway and I just want to hold my baby!

I'm looking into getting some books on the Bradly method and doing an online class for Lamaze because they don't have those classes nearby us. We are going to take a class at the hospital closer to our due date (Nov/Dec)
  • @pbtoast - oh okay, there were a few ladies in my last BMB that had previas in the beginning and it cleared. FX you don't end up with a c/, but I've had 2 and baby and I were fine, just a tough recovery. Hoping for the best but prepping for the worst will definitely help if you do end up in the OR. That was my mindset and it helped me accept it easier and not mourn or be so depressed after, over not getting what I hoped for.

• I was non-medicated for my son and plan to do the same this time around :)
    Pregnancy Ticker  

• I'm hoping for a VBAC but have prepared myself that things don't always go as planned and that's okay. I wouldn't consider myself a very religious person but I do believe in god and his power to guide me to whatever direction will be the best outcome for me and my family. Ultimately, I'd love for a non medicated vaginal birth but we'll see how things pan out.
  • @babyseaturtles my fear with an epi is that it's going to hurt or something is going to go wrong with it. I'm not against them at all and if I could get over my fear of having a needle put in my spine I would totally get one. 

• Part of me thinks this may bite me in the butt down the road but I'm just going to go with the flow. I really don't have strong opinions like some do on natural vs. medicated birth. Plus so many birth plans change at the last minute that what I decide on now may not even be an option. 

As long as my baby comes out and is healthy, then I'll cross those bridges when I get to them, or at least closer to them. 
    This was my "plan" (hehe non-plan) with my first, and then my three epidural attempts were unsuccessful and it was a scarring experience. I say that because I remember typing things like that on my first BMB, and I wish I would have really taken to heart that I might feel like I can't handle it but not get any relief from an epi. I wish I'd had a back-up plan.

With my second, I studied hypnobabies and had an unmedicated hospital birth (only because I was afraid of the same bad experience with an epi happening again, I'm not anti epi. Wish mine had just worked.)

This time, I'm planning on studying hypnobabies again and hoping for an unmedicated water birth. Last time, I was significantly more comfortable in the water and only got out to check my progress and find out I was about ready to push. I'd love to just stay in the water this time if it's as helpful again.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• My plan is more of a "non-plan with preferences". After meeting with my OB and discussing the issues with my back we agreed that a c-section is the safest option. I've been reading about delaying cutting the cord, the natural c-section where they allow skin to skin contact with the baby immediately and requesting that H be with the baby right away as I won't be while they finish closing me up. I need to discuss my options with my doctor and the hospital yet to see what they'll allow.
  • @babyseaturtles my fear with an epi is that it's going to hurt or something is going to go wrong with it. I'm not against them at all and if I could get over my fear of having a needle put in my spine I would totally get one. 

For me, it didn't hurt beyond the initial sting of the local anesthetic they inject you with before doing the actual epidural, so it just feels like a regular shot. Everything else was good for me.

• @DrillSergeantCat The thought of labor/birth doesn't scare me or freak me out it's the idea of the huge ass needle entering my spine as well. I HATE needles and while I would love the meds, I'm not sure if I can overcome the needle thing. 
  • @DrillSergeantCat The thought of labor/birth doesn't scare me or freak me out it's the idea of the huge ass needle entering my spine as well. I HATE needles and while I would love the meds, I'm not sure if I can overcome the needle thing. 
    YES!!! I'm seriously considering requesting that they not even place an IV this time. 

• Planning for a natural birth at a birth center. Still undecided about whether or not we want to go for a water birth.
  • @DrillSergeantCat and @funkypineapple I knew I would get an epi with my last but was terrified of the idea that they were using a huge needle to inject the epi. When it was time, I leaned forward on my husband and gripped his hands and took a deep breath. I was waiting for the pain of that large needle. Then the dr said, ok you are done. I was shocked that I didn't even feel it! Honestly, taking off the huge tape to keep the epi line in place after the birth hurt more than the injection itself!
    Hearing stories like that helps. I know that they're very common and the anesthesiologist has more than likely performed hundreds if not thousands of epidurals so I don't really know why I'm scared. I have no issue with needles otherwise.

For me, it didn't hurt beyond the initial sting of the local anesthetic they inject you with before doing the actual epidural, so it just feels like a regular shot. Everything else was good for me.
    Agree, however, do NOT let an intern do it!  w/ DD, they asked if an intern could do it w/ the assistance of an actual anesthesiologist and i agreed...it took 2 times w/ the intern and I was done.  It didn't hurt, but I could feel a nerve down by my butt...strangest feeling ever and I was so mad she couldn't get it.  She actually sprayed the anesthesia all over my back before she even put it in...that should have been my first clue.  

Anyway, the actual epi didn't hurt but it does feel strange.  It feel a heck of a lot better than the contractions! ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm having a c-section so the plan is to do skin to skin immediately after while they close me up. If I end up having a natural birth (5% chance) I'll have an epidural for sure!
  • I had every intention of going natural with my 1st and then my OB broke my water to get things moving faster...let's just say I wanted the epideral quickly after that!

I am also terrified of needles and have had back issues since I was a teenager. I was very worried about an epidural but was pleasantly surprised. It got placed mid-contraction and I actually fell asleep until I woke up and needed to push:-)

The only things I know for sure are that I will wait to cut the cord like I did with my son and I want the baby immediately with me...other than that we will see!

All I know is that all women are rockstars! Let's just imagine a man in labor...haha!!!
  • @DrillSergeantCat and @funkypineapple I knew I would get an epi with my last but was terrified of the idea that they were using a huge needle to inject the epi. When it was time, I leaned forward on my husband and gripped his hands and took a deep breath. I was waiting for the pain of that large needle. Then the dr said, ok you are done. I was shocked that I didn't even feel it! Honestly, taking off the huge tape to keep the epi line in place after the birth hurt more than the injection itself!
    Hearing stories like that helps. I know that they're very common and the anesthesiologist has more than likely performed hundreds if not thousands of epidurals so I don't really know why I'm scared. I have no issue with needles otherwise.

Obviously just one person's opinion but... my uncle is an anesthesiologist and he's told me that he wouldn't recommend an epi so long as the mother was comfortable going without. He said almost all of them go right, but when they wrong it can be really rough and just draw out an otherwise uncomplicated labor.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I got an epi with both of mine, but it wasn't early in labor.  we're talking 6 cm the first and 9 cm with the second.  Both times it was the numbing shot that stung.  I didn't even feel them putting in the epi.  I don't really like needles either and was super nervous the first time around.  there is just so much going on at that point i don't think anything matters much.  to me the hardest part is staying still while having a contraction.
    My Baby Penguins
    DD1: 9/19/11
    DS: 1/1/14
    DD2: 1/31/16

• Obviously just one person's opinion but... my uncle is an anesthesiologist and he's told me that he wouldn't recommend an epi so long as the mother was comfortable going without. He said almost all of them go right, but when they wrong it can be really rough and just draw out an otherwise uncomplicated labor.
    A friend of mine just had a baby by c-section 3 months ago and hers traveled up her spine and she couldn't breathe and because everyone was so focused on delivering the baby, no one noticed that she was having breathing difficulties except her friend who was by her side. IDK where the anesthesiologist was.

• I am hoping it is similar to my first delivery - it was pretty easy, I had an epidural though and plan on having another. I didn't have a birth plan the first time around, didn't attend any laboring classes or anything and basically just went with the flow. I delivered my son in less than 12 hrs. after having my water bag broken by my Dr. it was a total of 15 mins. of pushing and he was born. The only things I know I definitely want are a vaginal birth and an epidural, both of which I had last time. 

I loved almost all of my nurses besides one (I think there is always that ONE nurse that everyone hates lol) but my hospital experience was pretty great and we are going back to the same one we originally had our son at. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'll go with the flow this time and see what my body does. I had a birth plan last time that went totally out the window. I had a epi and it was perfectly fine, didn't hurt and I still was able to push really well. I didn't look at the needle when he was explaining any of it and pretty much just told him to hurry up and stick it in already.
    The only thing I'll be firm on is if medication is needed or something needs to change that they explain it to me til I understand it. I had to have cervadil last time and it wasn't really explained how it would be administered or how much it would hurt!