Trying to Get Pregnant

Herbs or Vitmains

my hubby and I have been trying to conceive for almost a year now but my periods have been irregular since coming of BC. I wasnt irregular when I started the pill years ago so I didn't think this would be an issue but it is. My last cycle was 52 days! My question is has anyone tried any herbal tea or vitamins to help regulate or increase ovulation? I was reading online about a couple different herbs (red raspberry and chaste berry) and was wondering if anyone else has tried them?
Expecting baby #1 August 2016 
Already have three furbabies- Blake, Sydney, and Chester 

Re: Herbs or Vitmains

• How long since you came off BC?

• kcolly32 said:

my hubby and I have been trying to conceive for almost a year now but my periods have been irregular since coming of BC. I wasnt irregular when I started the pill years ago so I didn't think this would be an issue but it is. My last cycle was 52 days! My question is has anyone tried any herbal tea or vitamins to help regulate or increase ovulation? I was reading online about a couple different herbs (red raspberry and chaste berry) and was wondering if anyone else has tried them?

Have you started temping? I wouldn't take anything without a doctor's monitoring because it may work against you. Natural=/= safe

• Loading the player...
  • Deeny14 said:

How long since you came off BC?

Second this. If it hasn't been that long I would give your body some time to regulate itself first.
  • It's been since last Novemener since I came off, so almost a year. I guess I'm being somewhat impatient because my friends are getting pregnant coming right off the pill and I can even get a regular cycle going

• I wouldn't start anything without speaking to a doctor. I know how you feel-- it's only been 3 months for me, but I've had 2 good friends announce their pregnancy since I started trying, both of whom got pregnant their first cycle off of birth control. But most herbs that claim to help regulate periods aren't backed by scientific evidence, and some may even do more harm than good. I've seen stories of women trying Vitex or chasteberry and it just made things worse.

Are you temping? That's actually making me feel better, even though I've discovered I have a super short luteal phase. If you're not, I would suggest trying. That way if you do not happen to get your BFP before you hit the one year mark, you can go to your doctor armed with knowledge of what exactly your body is doing, even if you may not know why!
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Everyone's cycles are different. 52 days is a little bit longer than the "average" range, but it doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. 

Are you temping to confirm ovulation? If your cycles are irregular, you could very well be missing your fertile window. I'd suggest reading the Ultimate Guide pinned at the top of the board - it'll give you a lot of information on how to maximize your odds of conceiving.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• My periods can range from 40-49 days, so I feel your frustration. Temping and OPKs are a great way to take some ownership of your body back. I just started this cycle, an I roughly know when I O'd because of it.

• Thanks for all the input! I did temp for a couple months but the only shift I really saw was right before my period my temp dropped, which is supposed to happen but nothing really in between. I did buy some OPKs and it actually told me I ovulated twice, which I don't think actually happened, I think my hormones are just out of whack. I'll try reading that guide mentioned above. I just really thought it would be easier to get pregnant!

• kcolly32 said:
    Thanks for all the input! I did temp for a couple months but the only shift I really saw was right before my period my temp dropped, which is supposed to happen but nothing really in between. I did buy some OPKs and it actually told me I ovulated twice, which I don't think actually happened, I think my hormones are just out of whack. I'll try reading that guide mentioned above. I just really thought it would be easier to get pregnant!
    You can have two LH surges during a cycle. That's why temping is important, too, so you can figure out which would be your O day. Were you doing it at the same time each day? Orally or vaginally?

• kcolly32 said:

Thanks for all the input! I did temp for a couple months but the only shift I really saw was right before my period my temp dropped, which is supposed to happen but nothing really in between. I did buy some OPKs and it actually told me I ovulated twice, which I don't think actually happened, I think my hormones are just out of whack. I'll try reading that guide mentioned above. I just really thought it would be easier to get pregnant!

Can you post your charts? Perhaps we will see something.

• Stick with it. Ladies here have gotten pregnant from cycles like yours. I also have cycles longer than average. You'll survive. My friends are getting KU also like there was sperm in the water or something. Hang in there, it can happen for you. Go back to temping and charting.
  • Just wanted to say I've used raspberry leaf tea. Never had any bad "side effects" and it worked great for me and a family member.
  • juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited August 2015
    When it comes to herbs and vitamins I would just cover my basics - make sure you're taking a prenatal, omega3's and a good probiotic + green tea is good for a multitude of things. Dont go crazy and order stuff online that promises conception. Alot of that stuff will either mess up your cycle or it's fake stuff (I ordered this cassava root pills and it turned out to be fake). I think the herb you're referring to is Vitex, which has gotten mixed reviews so I would check with your Dr.first, and if you do buy any herbs, don't buy online, Make sure you get them from a trusted manufacturer. 

Oh! and to answer your 1st question, my 1st cycle off the pill was 37 days. My cycles have never been regular off the pill so I had my Dr. do a blood test to rule out hormonal imbalances and turns out my hormones are out of whack. So because of that my Dr. told me I can start Provera to induce my period anytime after CD40. But there have been plenty of ladies on here with very long cycles who still ovulated after CD40, but I would call the Dr. after CD60. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• When I did temp it was orally and the app I used didn't have a chart, but I just downloaded one that does and I will try using it. Thanks everyone for your input. I'll stay away from the herbs for now, try temp again.

• kcolly32 said:
    When I did temp it was orally and the app I used didn't have a chart, but I just downloaded one that does and I will try using it. Thanks everyone for your input. I'll stay away from the herbs for now, try temp again.
    Download Fertility Friend. The tutorials and charting quizzes are great resources. This is the app that most ladies here use, so it makes it easier if you ever have questions about your chart.

TTC #1 --- BFP #1 5/15, loss at 5 weeks --- BFP #2 12/15, loss at 4+3 --- RE testing 3/16 normal, still trying for our rainbow    

• Ditto PP's in regards to temping and checking with your Dr. to ensure it's safe. Like PP's said many of them are not backed by scientific evidence. I will add however, that I do currently drink lots of herbal teas that have been cleared by my Dr. in addition to using several essential oils/holistic remedies. Do I think they are really going to increase my chances? Realistically deep down no I don't BUT I still do it because it helps me maintain my mental sanity through this process.
  • juliehollz13juliehollz13 member
    edited August 2015
    ^^^ Ditto. Be kind to yourself through this process and as long as the Dr. clears you on the holistic/herbal therapies. doesnt hurt to try. There's not a whole lot of scientific backing to those therapies, but I do believe they greatly affect your psychological well being. Or maybe i'm just looking for any excuse to get a theraputic massage hehe :P 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes