October 2015 Moms
Options

Consistent exercise =early labor?

Mostly for the second or third time moms but I'm wondering if there is any correlation between exercising throughout your pregnancy and going into labor early/on time? Not too early but a couple days or weeks early? Did the mommies who went into labor early exercise consistently? Just curious! Id like to think my exercise routine will help save me from going past my due date!!!

Re: Consistent exercise =early labor?

• Options
    I exercised regularly with my first. I used to do my daily walks, and other at home exercises. I had my son 39weeks 5days.
  • Options
    Unless you count teaching 2nd graders exercise I didn't really do much with dd1 and she was born happy and healthy at 39w 4 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nope. It's going to vary based on many other factors. But it's good for you.
  • Options
    I probably got the least exercise with my third because he was born in the middle of a very cold winter, but he was born 17 days early. My others were one day late and 11 days early. I am hoping this one will be more like my second and not quite as early. I'm 5 weeks out now, and I need more than 2.5 weeks to get ready!
  • Options
    am&nam&n member
    With my second pregnancy, I walked about 3 miles almost daily. I was 40 weeks and 3 days when I delivered.
  • Options
    Definitely no correlation. I worked out until the day I checked in....to be induced...at 41.5 weeks lol. I was 0 cm and 0% too. People were telling me "go for a walk!" Um, yeah, I'm doing weight and cardio workouts still and even that isn't doing the trick! Babies do what they want :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    It definitely won't affect how early you go in to labor but we read studies in PT school about how it can make your body more ready to handle labor and assist with recovery. It's definitely good for both you and baby for you to keep exercising.
  • Options
    No correlation as far as when you will go into labor.  I had a nurse try to tell me my labor would be much faster if I walked every day.  I don't even think that's really all that accurate.  I was a server when I was pregnant with DD.  All I did all day every day was walk and be on my feet and I never progressed passed 1.5 cm.  I think exercise will help when it comes to your pushing and maybe recovery.  But, mostly, it's just good for you in general :)
    October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options
    I'm curious if someone goes from no exercise to starting to exercise in the end of pregnancy (and not just walking, but more challenging workouts), if that could help speed things along? I may begin exercising in a couple of weeks (I've been laying low this pregnancy due to a history of preterm labor). I will be 35 weeks tomorrow and closer to a safe zone.
    Me: 39
    DH: 39

TTC: #3 - first cycle TTC - 10/2014
    Preg #1 - PTL @ 23.5 weeks - angel in heaven (Addison Margaret)
    Preg #2 - PTL @ 30.1 weeks - Kellen born @ 3 lbs. 5 oz in Jan 2010 - My Pride and Joy
  • Options
    I don't recommend beginning challenging workouts at 37 weeks.
    October Siggy Challenge

Image result for horrible pregnancy halloween costumes

Oct 15 Glitter Bunnies

• Options
    gerbies said:

I'm curious if someone goes from no exercise to starting to exercise in the end of pregnancy (and not just walking, but more challenging workouts), if that could help speed things along? I may begin exercising in a couple of weeks (I've been laying low this pregnancy due to a history of preterm labor). I will be 35 weeks tomorrow and closer to a safe zone.

I don't think that sounds like the best idea personally. Everything I have read said that if you were used to challenging work outs prepregnancy that they were ok to continue during the pregnancy. But if you were not to not start them after pregnancy. Especially for someone with a history of preterm labor.

I have continued walking, bending, lifting, and climbing stairs a lot for work because I was used to it. If I had started this job in the middle of being pregnant I could not handle it.

I'm not trying to judge however I would maybe consult your doctor. I guess it comes down to you knowing your body and limits better than a stranger but don't want to see anything bad happen to anyone.
  • Options
    I worked out through my pregnancy with DD and I went into labor at 38w4d and she was born early on the 39th week (54 hours of labor). My labor stalled twice and it wasn't as quick as they told me they thought it would be due to my fitness. :) While I do believe that my lack of sleep leading up to L&D had the most to do with my exhaustion, I also think baby will do what it wants when the time comes! :)