July 2015 Moms

High BP

I went for my 6 week postpartum checkup on Wednesday and my blood pressure was elevated both at the beginning and end of my appointment (140/90). My doctor requested that I come back this morning for another check. I went in the morning & it was high again (149/100) so he prescribed me labetol 2x a day which is safe for breastfeeding women and told me to follow up with my primary care physician.

I have had no previous BP problems (pre or during pregnancy - also at my incision check appointment my BP was super low) so I'm quite curious to understand why now my body is being an asshole. My OB seems to think that once things improve (sleeping through the night, getting back into my fitness routine) that my BP will level out, but until then I need the meds.

I do have a family history of high BP, but I'm only 32 and VERY active, except my activity levels dropped in the last 4 months however I'm getting back on track. I've run 13 miles this week as part of my training plan and I have a very healthy diet ....I guess I'm just sad that this is happening to me. Anyone else have health problems that surfaced postpartum?

Re: High BP

• Yep, except mine shot up 1 week postpartum, it was 158/100
    I'm also on labetalol 2x a day.
    Bp is now lower 113/74, so in a few weeks if it stays like this my dr will begin reducing it so I can stop (you can't stop it abruptly)

It's frustrating - but taking the meds is better than risking what could happen from high BP
  • Mine did! One wk pp and I was 178/101 which had Drs freaking out and he gave me bystolic right there and told me i was about to stroke out and I couldn't breast feed on it. I cried that whole day, baby didn't like formula. After he got me stable he put me on labatelol as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • My BP was also high PP (after perfect BP throughout my pregnancy). My doc suggested I stop taking ibuprofen (which I had been started on in the hospital and continued after discharge). I have had normal BP and my swelling also disappeared since switching to Tylenol for pain management!
  • A week after having my little one I was admitted to the hospital because of my blood pressure. It was so high I could of had a stroke or even passed away. I was giving magnesium for 24hrs and stayed for 3nights 4 days. Hoping it's not high tomorrow at my follow up