Baby Names
Options

Would my child hate this when they are older?

Ok, really like the name Sam, but just Sam. I do not like any of the names that shorten to Sam. Do you think Sam would be to unformal of a name once he is a professional? Thanks.
image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List

Re: Would my child hate this when they are older?

• Options
    Yes. Too casual.
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sam is a hell of a lot better than many of the other names we see around here but I think it would be best to go with Samuel, even if you never intend to use it.
  • Options
    Yes. Either use the full name on legal paperwork or find a name that you like better.
  • Options
    Samuel or Samson. Give him a proper name he can shorten.
  • Options
    What's annoying is that everyone will assume his full name is Samuel. It will be a little bit of a headache as far as job interviews, work emails, formal paperwork is concerned. I would use the formal name, even if you plan on only calling him Sam.
  • Options
    What everyone else said. Sam is a great NN but definitely use a full first name.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    Ashleydia said:

My husband's legal name is Mike. His parents are Croatian and didn't realize that Mike was a nickname for Michael. I can not tell you how much he hates it. Only b/c it has caused such a headache over the years. Every piece of mail he gets says Michael. When we were applying for a loan for our house, all his paperwork said Michael on it. He has had to spend so much time emailing and calling people to have paperwork corrected. Everyone just assumes his name is Michael b/c well, Mike isn't a real name. I love the name Sam but I just wanted to let you know my husbands's experience.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. Thanks for your thoughts ladies! Thankfully we do have more names, Alexander being my fave! But hubby didn't believe me that people might think that about Sam. Lol
    image BabyFruit Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I think it's just easier to go with Samuel.

I know a Ty, legal name, and I called him Tyler once assuming that was his real name and he seriously freaked out on me... So, it must be a sore subject. Haha.
  • Options
    My name is Sam, and I am a woman. I hate the name Samantha and always have. I only go by Sam and even considered legally dropping the "antha" when I was changing my maiden name. During our wedding vows, on my Facebook, at work, school, anyone I've ever introduced myself it's always just been Sam. I have gone as far as using it on my resume. No one has an issue with it, and I have a professional job that has never batted an eye at calling me Sam. So to answer your question; if my mom had just named me Sam instead of Samantha, I certainly wouldn't have hated it.
  • Options
    My husbands legal name is Kenny, people always assume it's short for Kenneth but it really doesn't bother him. He just corrects them. I say if you like Sam, go for it!
  • Options
    I love the name Sam, but also dislike the full names that go along with it. I am the same with using Sam as a female name...I dislike the full names that go along with it. My husband jokingly put "Samuelle" on the list for a girl when we were discussing names. Ours would have been to honor all of the Sam's in both of our families, but again...I didn't like any of the full names, and none of these people EVER went by their full names. I guess I should have taken that as a sign that I could just do a full name and call the kid Sam, but we decided that if we ever used it, we would just use Sam as the middle name. 

I know several people that have nicknames for first names, and it doesn't seem to bother them when someone asks if their full name is something else. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options

My friend is Katie. Just Katie. She says it has always been a pain when filling out job applications, sending resumes, bank forms, etc because people ALWAYS ask if she spells her name Katherine or Kathryn. Plus she was called out once for putting her "nickname" on her resume.

People will always assume Sam is a nickname.

imageimage
  • Options

My friend is Katie. Just Katie. She says it has always been a pain when filling out job applications, sending resumes, bank forms, etc because people ALWAYS ask if she spells her name Katherine or Kathryn. Plus she was called out once for putting her "nickname" on her resume.

People will always assume Sam is a nickname.

While I agree with the Sam thing, I am a Katie and have never ever had a problem with it. Once in a while when I was younger people would ask what it is short for but that's about it. That being said I feel like Sam is such a short name that it will always be a hassle and doesn't seem like a legit first name. DH and I are having the same problem with liking Max but not any of the proper versions.