August 2015 Moms

Doctor has me scared

I'm overweight (364lbs) and 5'9. I've only gained 14lbs my entire pregnancy and have measured large for my fundal heights since forever (in my opinion and 2 of my doctors' opinion because of belly fat). At my last appointment the doctor in my practice who is "a friend of c-sections" said he thinks this baby is huge and scared me with talk of shoulder dystocia. I have a 4 year old at home (born 8lbs12oz no complications, induced at 41weeks) and do NOT want to do a csec recovery. A second doctor in my practice ordered a growth scan (at 40 weeks to the day) and they're saying the baby is measuring to be 11lbs 4oz!!! ( + or - a pound!) this second doctor (whom I prefer) gave me a pelvic exam and says she thinks I have room in my pelvis to birth naturally. However, now I'm concerned that I won't be able to or will hemorrhage either way (vaginally or surgically). Any advice? Thoughts? Help? I want c-section to be a last resort so she's willing to let me try to labor - being induced Monday morning 6am.

Re: Doctor has me scared

• kelsrulakelsrula member
    edited August 2015
    Thank you for the reassurance :)@usernameneededallaretaken
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree, if your doctor has faith that you can do it and if that's what you want, give it a shot.
  • Trust in your body. Give labor a shot. If something happens and you end up with a cesarean, then that's ok too. Modern medicine is an amazing thing! Trust yourself and your doctors!

• I agree with PP's, growth scans are notoriously inaccurate. If you don't want a c section try a vaginal birth but go in with an open mind knowing plans may change. Odds are you will get the delivery you want. Good luck!
  • Miz_Liz said:

I agree with PP's, growth scans are notoriously inaccurate. If you don't want a c section try a vaginal birth but go in with an open mind knowing plans may change. Odds are you will get the delivery you want. Good luck!

This^^^ good luck :)
  • My doctor told me for a 10 pound baby, there is a 10% chance of shoulder dystocia. 40% of those lead to an injury and 10% of those injuries are permanent so it's like .04%. I was willing to take that chance of the many concerns with a c section.
  • You have to go with what you feel is right. You'll make the right choice no matter what it is!
  • I agree. Try to delivervaginally. Move to a c section if it becomes necessary as your labor progresses. Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My whole pregnancy my doctor talked of my baby being big and would be too big (10+lbs) for vaginal delivery and talked of c section a lot. I just had my baby vaginally 4 days ago weighing 7lbs 15oz. No biggie. I Don't trust everything and listen to my instincts.
  • I agree with PP - try to give birth vaginally & use a cs as a back up plan. My mom is petite and gave birth to me naturally, I was 10lbs. My cousin gave birth to a 13lb baby girl. Even if your baby is big it doesn't make it impossible to still give birth vaginally. Good luck with your delivery! Hope all goes well :)
  • I am also overweight and had a cs thrown around throughout my pregnancy. My daughter measured on track for weight pretty much the entire pregnancy until the last week. They told me she was measuring well over 9 (almost 10) pounds. In all honesty, I think it was the ultrasound techs fault...she wasn't my usual lady. Anyway, I ended up delivering a perfectly healthy 7 pound 8 ounce baby girl, and vaginally at that. Try not to stress. Let your body do it's thing. If it's and reassurance, my mil gave birth to my husband naturally and he was 11.4 pounds. You got this mama.
  • Do yourself a favor and read up on the best birth positions for large babies and shoulder dystopia. 
  • definitely try for a vaginal birth and don't let the doctors scare you. Large babies are born vaginally all of the time. My husbands grandpa was born vaginally in 1921 and weighed 12 lbs...his mom was 5'3" and weighed 120lbs so anything is possible :)