August 2015 Moms

What does your baby do all day?

DD is 4 weeks old. She is either eating, sleeping, or crying all day long. She doesn't have much awake time where she's actually content.

I feel like by 4 weeks with my other 2 I was able to put them down on the play mat or have tummy time for a bit. Or they would sit in the bouncer for a while. Not that they can really "play" at 4 weeks, but at least look at the toys/lights. DD 2 just cries if I put her on the mat. She'll be okay for maybe 3-5 minutes and then it's back to crying.

So what is your LO doing all day? Just eating and sleeping or are you getting any "play" time in?

Re: What does your baby do all day?

• My girl is over 2 weeks and sleeps all day. She has probably 2 hrs total of alert time where she just sits. I think it's normal at 4 weeks for them to only tolerate tummy time on a mat for about 5 min or so. I remember that was about the tolerance my first had for it for quite awhile. I haven't started TT with this baby other than on my chest or on the boppy.
  • Loading the player...
  • LO is 1 week old and sleeps, eats, and poops all day long. She has a few hours of bright eyes time but so far she's mellow and sleepy. I remember my boys getting crazier by the 1 month mark so I'm bracing to see what's instore then... :-S
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 3 weeks and 3 days. We have been getting a lot of alert time. He likes to look around, loves the fish tank! His alert time is fairly quiet, except past few days because he has a stuffy nose :( . We have been using a play mat every few nights and doing some tummy time, though he has been holding his head up very well for a week or so noe.
  • We are only 9 days old. But we eat, sleep, and pee. DS does sit contently in the bouncy seat for a while.

Maybe try wearing your LO if she seems to be crying so much.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My girl is 9 days old and she mostly sleeps and eats but she does have some time when she's awake and just hanging out.
  • benmel31 said:

We are only 9 days old. But we eat, sleep, and pee. DS does sit contently in the bouncy seat for a while.

Maybe try wearing your LO if she seems to be crying so much.
    I do wear her for a while most days. She instantly falls asleep OR she fights it and keeps screaming.

She won't sit in the bouncer or swing either. :(
  • Oh thank gosh! Yes. My LO eats, sleeps, poops, repeats! And then comes night time and she's wide awake!! ;;) from 9pm - about 2am it's a struggle. We have done a few tummy times since being home but they are usually short lived.
  • deviduke412deviduke412 member
    edited August 2015
    My LO is a very alert little booger. He fights sleep a lot Bc he's so nosy! He will be content in the swing or bouncer most times, but sometimes he will fuss after a few minutes. The evenings are worse, which I've heard is common.
    Edit: forgot to say he's 18 days old.
  • He's just over 3 weeks and my little guy likes to have a 2 hour period once a day where he likes to be awake (cranky or happy) and be fed twice before going back to bed. He's mostly just eating, getting changed, and going back to bed. He's given me 2 days now where he would only sleep for 5 minutes before screaming his head off and won't let me put him down. It's like roulette with this ones temperament lol
  • @SassetteSmurfling We're at 4 weeks today and pretty much exactly the same. She gets several hours total of awake time and it's usually only content if it's right after a good feed. Otherwise she's pretty fussy and seems to be struggling to either nap or pass gas/poop. I think it'll get better as they get older and can work out what's wrong easier and faster. It's just weird because she sleeps really well at night with minimal effort to put her to sleep, but daytime napping is such a battle and she only wants to sleep on me. Oh well.
  • Sleeps and smiles. You can't get the smile off of his face! :D
  • My kid is 6.5 weeks old and still won't play. I'm starting to get more "awake and not angry" time, but its short lived. She is either eating, sleeping, awake and wanting to be held, or awake and starting to get tired and grouchy so she wants to nurse herself to sleep. We have a brief period (15-20 mins) of happiness when she first wakes up in the morning where she will just coo to herself and smile and wave her hands around, but then she screams until one of us picks her up and carries her around.
  • 3 wks 2 days and he is either screaming or eating with some sleep mixed in. Sigh!
  • Sleep sleep and more sleep. I wake her up for every single feeding.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • A week old today, sleeps all day and parties (aka cries) all night.
  • 4 weeks on Monday. DS fights sleep! He is too alert for Mommy who is super tired.
  • The love of my life is 3 weeks old tomorrow (exactly 20 days today) and she basically eats, poops, and sleeps. But she's been awake more and more each day 45 mins at a time. Right now we're at the park enjoying this beautiful day looking around and making baby noises. ♡♡♡
  • Three weeks today, baby girl gets a good days rest, wakes up around 9 pm happy then her mood changes and it's like that until 6 AM... We get cat naps in between her crazy baby mood swings though!
  • 15days...eat, poop, pee, sleep, repeat. From about 9am to 12pm shes awake and lively. Eats a couple times during that period, but then sleeps for about 3 hours straight. She doesnt really do anything with the mat so during her awake time I just sit and play with her, tickle, snuggle, and lots of talking with some tummy time on my chest.
  • JNOVA2015JNOVA2015 member
    edited August 2015
    Jack is 2 weeks 2 days and he has about an hour or two each day where he is alert and not eating or fussing. He loves to be held and talked to, and he likes to lay in his play gym (see picture!). He'll lay in the play gym for 10 minutes or so before he gets fussy. He won't tolerate tummy time on the floor or the mat, but he'll do tummy time laying on my or DH's chest.
  • Hope is awake for 15-60 minutes after each feed. She will watch her sisters, chill in the infant seat, and maybe tolerate a few minutes of tummy time.
  • 11 days... Sleeping, grizzling a little but, looking around a lot, drinking milk... Yep that's about it.

I remember with DD (who was permanently awake) I used to wonder what the hell to do with her... Like I felt I should be doing something to entertain her all the time but didn't really know what. It's kind of weird having this little person looking at you all day long!
  • Addison, 1 week today, eats, sleeps, poops, and pees all day long. She has lots of half sleep half awake time while chilling in her rock and play or bouncer. Our swing was defective so a new one should be arriving tomorrow. Yay!! I have to nurse her every 2 hours because she lost 10% of her body weight so that's sort of a rough thing, especially when she's sound asleep and i have to wake up sleeping beauty, but I'm sure at Tuesdays Pedi appt she'll be fine and we can continue to feed on demand....hopefully!!
  • 3 weeks today. She eats, sleeps, poops, and is having increasingly longer periods of awake time. Honestly, her awake time is usually spent with me holding her trying to get her to sleep while trying to entertain her sister :) I do spend some time just talking to her and walking around looking at things. We have been to the park a couple times, a museum with a kids area this morning, etc... where she gets to look at different stuff while she is awake. She hasn't had much tummy time cause her older sister is all over her if I put her on the floor at all. I need to get better about just flipping her on the pack n play mattress (elevated one) where she spends a good portion of her time.

My older daughter was much less content and had horrible. She had very, very little awake time when she wasn't screaming in the beginning and hated tummy time. She actually rolled tummy to back the very first time we tried tummy time at 2 weeks 4 days when her umbilical cord finally fell off. It wasn't a fluke. We could never keep her on her tummy. She'd just get pissed off and flip herself right over within seconds.
  • My DD is 3 weeks today and Is the same way. I feel like when she is awake she is crying. She also doesn't sleep well unless she is being held or sleeping next to me. Which makes things interesting when I have a 13 month old running around! I remember DD1 being content during her awake time to lay by herself but not this one!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is just a little over 4 weeks now and he is awake more these days. He could hold his head up the day he was born so now he likes to lay on my chest and do push ups to look me in my eye. At 2 weeks 4 days he was rolling over from his belly to his back during tummy time and continues to roll around during tummy time now too. We read to him and he likes to look at the pictures and us while we read. He stares at his stuffed animal and tries to reach out to it. Same with his mobile above his crib. When he gets too wiggly and fussy he lives his bouncer or his swing and I'll sit right in front of him and we "chat" for a while. Today we went out to eat with my parents and he was awake the whole time just looking around at everyone like he was part of the conversation :-)
  • DD is 4 weeks old. She is either eating, sleeping, or crying all day long. She doesn't have much awake time where she's actually content.

I feel like by 4 weeks with my other 2 I was able to put them down on the play mat or have tummy time for a bit. Or they would sit in the bouncer for a while. Not that they can really "play" at 4 weeks, but at least look at the toys/lights. DD 2 just cries if I put her on the mat. She'll be okay for maybe 3-5 minutes and then it's back to crying.

So what is your LO doing all day? Just eating and sleeping or are you getting any "play" time in?

That is exactly what mine does all day long. She might be able to tolerate 20-30 minutes of interactive playtime with me where I sing to her, talk to her and do different movements, but before long she's fussy again.

DS was so much more chill.
  • Kai is 11 days old. He will eat, get diaper changed, observe the world a bit, and sleep. Repeat. Very content baby (knock on wood).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My 5 week old son sleeps, eats, poops, pees, repeat.  But now he is starting to stay awake for a bit longer in between naps, especially the evening time.  And he doesn't cry much, he just looks around.  I got him a floor mat and it has all kinds of little goodies to gaze at.  I lay him down on that and it keeps him content for about a half an hour before he either falls asleep or cries to let me know he is bored.  I also started reading to him and he loves to look at the pictures it seems.  He just loves to look at things lol.  
  • DD is almost 3 weeks and cries when awake unless she's nursing. She doesn't tolerate being put down either, and doesn't even let DH hold her for long. My others weren't like this either! Just different temperaments I guess.
    imageLilypie - (d9io)
    imageLilypie - (3w4O)
  • KateDerekKateDerek member
    edited August 2015
    We are three weeks today and just this week has she been more alert after her morning feeding and then again later on before she naps a good stretch into the evening. Just like my last baby, she sleeps a lot in the evening which I would assume would keep her up later at night, but she eats her last meal at 9 or so and goes right down again for the night.

She doesn't seem too keen to spend time without me for long, but if I'm with her she won't be as irritable.
  • My son when he's not eating sleeping pooing farting etc he's moving himself around the floor and bed he's constantly on the go when he's up, he's 3 weeks today. Here's a pic of him one day old holding his head up. He also hits his toys on his bouncer and playmat. This newborn certainly isn't as restful as I've seen others. He amazes me everyday.
  • We are sitting at about 2.5 weeks and DS mostly sleeps. When he is awake I prop him up in his nippy and he either has staring contests with me or his big sisters. Overall, he is very content (which is extremely different from my two girls... DD1 was a colicky mess and DD2 was not happy unless she was being held). So far for me, boys are WAY easier than girls.
  • LO is now 6 weeks old. During the day she is having a lot more awake/alert time. Some days she is fussy and I expel a lot of energy to keep her from crying, other days she is totally content and okay with tummy time and interacting with me. In the evenings she is often fussy. We are finally getting into a routine where she is actually sleeping at night, nursing, then going right back to sleep! Yay!!
  • My son when he's not eating sleeping pooing farting etc he's moving himself around the floor and bed he's constantly on the go when he's up, he's 3 weeks today. Here's a pic of him one day old holding his head up. He also hits his toys on his bouncer and playmat. This newborn certainly isn't as restful as I've seen others. He amazes me everyday.

Sounds like that one's gonna be giving you a run for your money in a couple of years!