August 2015 Moms

Settling Baby??

What are you doing to settle your baby??
DD will currently only fall asleep in the arms of me or DH which frustrates me a little because I don't want it to become a bad habit.

Re: Settling Baby??

• My son won't fall asleep without suckling on my breast. Even if he wakes for a moment. For now I'm allowing it as I refuse to give him a dummy. However he's now picked up sucking his bottom lip whilst soothing himself. So hopefully soon I won't have to always feed him to put him to sleep *fingers crossed*
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine likes to be "shhhhed", nursing, and patted all at the same time. It works every time!
  • My LO likes to be nursed to sleep. Even if it's just comfort nursing and she isn't getting any milk.
  • If he's been fed, has a clean diaper, isn't too hot or cold, I let him cry it out. He is learning to self soothe and it works! Now if he's been fussing for more than 20 min after I lay him down, I go in and access the situation and see what he needs. If it's during his wake time, he will take a paci.
  • edited August 2015
    Our little guy likes to be talked to and have me gently run my hand over the top of his head and back of his neck. We put him in his pack n play while he's still a little awake (and have since birth) and he falls asleep in there on his own. Sometimes he will grunt for a minute if he's trying to clear a little gas or he will coo contentedly but within a couple minutes he's fast asleep.
  • We are feeding and rocking the little guy. Sometimes he likes to be walked around and sung to. I don't think you need to worry about bad habits until 6-8 weeks.. right now they don't really know how to self soothe I don't think. Later we will try to let him cry it out to an extent, when he's better able to self soothe. Will start transitioning to that around 6 to 8 weeks.
  • If your boobs/you need a break and you have a noisy bathroom exhaust fan anywhere in your house have your SO turn it on and rock them in there. The noise soothed DS and so far DD loves it too.
  • Miz_Liz said:

If your boobs/you need a break and you have a noisy bathroom exhaust fan anywhere in your house have your SO turn it on and rock them in there. The noise soothed DS and so far DD loves it too.

We have a isolating fan that we use for background noise sometimes when DD is fussy. We just turn the fan itself away from her and use it for the sound. Although we try to use it as only a last resort because we don't want her to become dependent on the sound to sleep.
  • Creeping from September but I recommend watching the movie happiest baby on the block. It helped with our first.
  • After nursing Hope loves to snuggle up with my boob. I'm assuming she likes the warmth of my chest and can hear my heartbeat. She also enjoys a good back rub and/or bum pat :)
  • Creeping from September but I recommend watching the movie happiest baby on the block. It helped with our first.

Love, love, love this DVD!! It's helped us so much!