July 2015 Moms
Options

VSD and Lasix

I had posted a while back about my lo not eating well. At his last check up his doc heard a heart murmur so we went to the cardiologist and had an echo. He had a medium size vsd and that's causing him to eat less and isn't gaining weight as much. We are keeping an eye on it for now and uping his calorie intake. He wants him to take Lasix. We picked it up today but I'm hesitant since he's so little. Anyone else experiencing this or have known anyone who has?

Re: VSD and Lasix

• Options
    I'm not too sure about the medicine but I have a heart murmur and I also had a small size VSD. I still have a slight murmur but the VSD resolved on its own. Your baby has a Medium sized one...so I'm not too sure. BUT I would just keep watch of it and I'm sure your baby will be fine :) as for the medicine, maybe get a second opinion. Also do some research and ask questions. Maybe ask if it is absolutely necessary to start treatment now...is it possible to wait till he's bigger? Good luck and happy thoughts sending your way!!! :D
  • Options
    The Lasix is to help keep fluid off his lungs. Thank you for the well wishes :) I'm hoping it closes soon and we don't have to resort to surgery.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is he retaining fluid? Does he currently have any fluid in his lungs? Lasix is not typically prescribed casually so I would either get a 2nd opinion quickly or start administering the medication as prescribed. My older daughter was on lasix for several months because she was born 4 months early and ventilator and oxygen dependent. She also had a pda and vsd. The lasix does have side effects but is really effective at keeping excess fluid off of the lungs. As you probably know, excess fluid on the lungs makes the heart work harder.

Sounds like you are not completely comfortable with the diagnosis and treatment plan. I'd get a 2nd opinion from another pediatric cardiologist.

Good luck!! Praying it closes on its own soon
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• Options
    Yes he does have some fluid on his lungs but not a lot. The Lasix is basically to keep it from getting worse. And thank you ;)