January 2016 Moms

Ladies! TMI Mucus plug??

I am 21w 4d and I am pretty sure I just lost my mucus plug... should I be worried?
We haven't had sex in a while until last night, I hear its normal I guess to lose it about 24 hrs later sometimes but its so early I dont know what I should do. Tomorrow is Sunday and I live in a super religious town so no one will be around at my Dr.s office.. should I go to L&D??

Re: Ladies! TMI Mucus plug??

• Is there an emergency number you can call to be sure?
  • Can you call you midwife or l&d or emergency ward? I would at least call, to be on the safe side!
  • Loading the player...
  • How much mucus did you pass? Your mucus plug is surprisingly huge. And you can lose it or a portion of it and it will just regenerate, so there may be no cause for alarm. You will have lots of mucus during pregnancy. If you aren't having contractions I wouldn't worry too much. But call your doctor and ask them.
  • I have read that super early in the pregnancy it can grown back. With my first pregnancy I for sure thought I lost it a ton of times and to this day I have no clue when I actually did. I would call the nurse
  • jeanbug12 said:

How much mucus did you pass? Your mucus plug is surprisingly huge. And you can lose it or a portion of it and it will just regenerate, so there may be no cause for alarm. You will have lots of mucus during pregnancy. If you aren't having contractions I wouldn't worry too much. But call your doctor and ask them.

This.
  • It was huge. I called L&D last night and she said as long as there is no blood, cramps or contracting it should be fine. I will call my Doc in the morning and double check on everything. Thanks Ladies
  • FWIW, I never went into labor on my own after losing my mucus plug. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)
  • I lost what appeared to be mucous plugs with my first starting around 30 weeks. It continued until I had her at 39 weeks. I remember this being a common occurrence on my other birth month boards.
  • Did it have any blood in it?

You'll loose a lot of clear/whitish slug like chunks over the next half of your pregnancy. Totally normal, UNLESS it is accompanied by blood or streaks of blood. At which point it's actually your plug and you should call your provider asap. 
  • You can lose your mucus plug and it can grow back several times throughout pregnancy. Increased discharge is normal. With my son I had to wear panty liners because of all the discharge