Pregnant after IF

Midwife vs OB

Hi! I have been consulting with a pelvic health physio for a few months now for issues related to my infertility (endo pain). I just went to see her for the first time since we found out about the pregnancy, and she asked me what my plan was regarding OB vs midwife (because if I want a midwife, I need to act NOW!). Tbh, I had never thought about going the midwife way, and don't really know much about them, but she was highly recommending that option. What have you opted for? What were your reasons for going for one vs the other?

Re: Midwife vs OB

• Good question. I was offered the same and have no idea what to do.
    Married for 4 years. TTC for 3.
    Me: 38 DH: 39
    DX: Unexplained Infertility; found a few fibroids this time around during SIS

March 2012: Clomid for 3 cycles  3 BFNs
    Sept. 2013: started injectables (Follistim, Ovidrel Trigger) IUI BFN

May 2015: New RE. Going IVF. Tests, Tests, Tests 
    July 2015: Microdose Lupron 20u am & pm, Follistim 150iu 75iu am, Menapur 150iu 75iu pm
    Triggered 8/4 ER 8/6 ET 8/11 2 beautiful blastocysts; 2WW
    8/19 hpt BFP! Beta 8/25: 482
    2nd Beta 9/1......3707
    U/S 9/21: 1 beautiful little gummy bear

Pregnancy Ticker
  • The midwives in my area do home births only.
    To me: OB=hospital=epidural
    (Except this pregnancy I get a csection so clearly OB)

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, that's what I thought too, but apparently where I live midwives can do hospital births too. When I had the conversation with my husband, he said he'd like a 'real' doctor to be there. I also want to be able to get an epidural if I want to (which I feel I will; I have no intention on trying to be a superhero here). OB it will be for me I think!
  • I'm assuming I'll end up having a c-section. I have had a broken tail bone and was told that when I gave birth it would re-break it. That just sounds horrible. Insult to injury. But we shall see. Suppose it will be OB for me too. If they plan to let me go vaginally, I'll for sure need that epidural.
    Married for 4 years. TTC for 3.
    Me: 38 DH: 39
    DX: Unexplained Infertility; found a few fibroids this time around during SIS

March 2012: Clomid for 3 cycles  3 BFNs
    Sept. 2013: started injectables (Follistim, Ovidrel Trigger) IUI BFN

May 2015: New RE. Going IVF. Tests, Tests, Tests 
    July 2015: Microdose Lupron 20u am & pm, Follistim 150iu 75iu am, Menapur 150iu 75iu pm
    Triggered 8/4 ER 8/6 ET 8/11 2 beautiful blastocysts; 2WW
    8/19 hpt BFP! Beta 8/25: 482
    2nd Beta 9/1......3707
    U/S 9/21: 1 beautiful little gummy bear

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I meet a nurse midwife from my doc's office and was not at all impressed with her knowledge level and confidence. The ob doc's in the group give off that "I got this" vibe that is comforting. So if I could go midwife, I wouldn't. I want someone there who can handle a tough situation if it arises. I am having twins so midwife was automatically off the list.