August 2015 Moms

Breastmilk catastrophe!

I'm devastated... I've been pumping every day after delivery and freezing the milk. I have a large storage freezer that probably has 300oz+ worth of breast milk in there. (This stash has accumulated in just a month's time, so I'm very proud of what I have saved for my baby.) It might seem a bit excessive to have so much saved, but I feel like I need all of this milk saved now in case my supply decreases and baby's appetite grows too quick for me to keep up with. Plus, I really do not want to use formula if my body is producing milk.

The horrendous part is, the freezer broke down and all that milk is thawing out!!! And as I've been told, thawed milk is only good for 24 hrs after initially thawing, and can't be re-freezed... All my hard work of pumping is going down the drain!! UGH. :((

Re: Breastmilk catastrophe!

• Oh no. I would have a meltdown. I'm so sorry!
  • Maybe try to find someone to donate some of it to before it goes bad so that not all of it goes to waste?
  • Loading the player...
  • @abbybaby19 I don't have any friends or acquaintances that I know of who need breast milk :/ and it's a bit of a hassle for me to try and look online for a quick donation to do by tomorrow early evening, especially since it's Sunday.
  • Do you have a friend or family member close by who could store some of it for you? Or all of it, depending.
  • Oh no!! That is definitely a catastrophe. Is there someplace you can hire a freezer from as an emergency til you can get yours fixed?
  • tylery said:

@abbybaby19 I don't have any friends or acquaintances that I know of who need breast milk :/ and it's a bit of a hassle for me to try and look online for a quick donation to do by tomorrow early evening, especially since it's Sunday.

Could you call the hospital? The NICUs tend to accept donations right? I would be crying for days if this were me. I'm so sorry!!!

• tylery said:

@abbybaby19 I don't have any friends or acquaintances that I know of who need breast milk :/ and it's a bit of a hassle for me to try and look online for a quick donation to do by tomorrow early evening, especially since it's Sunday.

Could you call the hospital? The NICUs tend to accept donations right? I would be crying for days if this were me. I'm so sorry!!!
    First of all, @tylery , that is horrible. I am so sorry!

I work in a NICU, and while we do have donated breastmilk, we have to get it through a company that tests it. You never know what somebody's diet is like or if they are taking illegal or prescription drugs that can be in the milk. Good idea though!
  • That's awful! I'm sorry. Coolers with ice???
  • If there are still ice crystals in it, you can refreeze it. Get a new freezer or at least some coolers and ice ASAP if its not completely thawed https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/frozen-milk-power-outage/
  • tylery said:

Aw, if only it didnt go bad so quickly! Thats so upsetting that theres nothing you can do to save it. :(
  • If there are still ice crystals in it, you can refreeze it. Get a new freezer or at least some coolers and ice ASAP if its not completely thawed https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/frozen-milk-power-outage/

This. If there are still ice crystals then there is still time! With that much breast milk at stake, I'd be running to sears to buy a new freezer ASAP!
  • That stinks! If you've been able to pump 300 oz in a month you should be able to restock in no time. That's a ton of milk! Good luck!
  • You can also refreeze and use topically if it did completely  thaw. Breastmilk added to baby baths is great for their skin - even eczema - and diaper rashes.
  • Wow! I would be devastated!! I'm kind of jealous of your stash!! I'm pumping my butt off but baby isn't nursing very well so she's drinking all I can pump! How is your supply so high?!
  • Can you rent a freezer for a week from one of those rent to own places
  • Omg I would be so depressed!
  • @kedbach I have NO IDEA how I'm producing this much milk. I'm very diligent with pumping every 2-3 hours. To me it's not much, but I can pump about 7-8 ounces per session (if I didn't breastfeed). If I did breastfeed, I usually only feed baby on one side and then pump whatever is left and my other breast, which gives me maybe 5 ounces if I'm lucky. My milk is piling up like crazy though since my baby only eats 75-90ml per feed.
  • So jealous @tylery ! Good for you!!!:)
  • Christ! I'd kill for 5 ounces. I pump 2oz and I
    Feel accomplished! U my friend @tylery have the juice!!