August 2015 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding recommendations.

Ok BF'ing mommas! I know there's been a lot on this but things seem to always change and trying to see it all in one post.

What were your BD guidelines given to you by your LC? I feel like they all say something different. I was originally told 15-20mins on one side, then switch to other breast for next feed. Feeds have to be at least every 3hrs and she's allowed one, 4hr block (every 24hrs). Now that my milk is in and she's feeding great, they want me doing both breasts every feed for 15-20mins each, no more than 3hrs apart, one 4hr block again.

Does this sound like what you mommas are told? I've also been told not to pump for 3 weeks unless it's for my comfort (my boobs get hard and painful in certain areas so I have to massage them while feeding or pumping).

Also, any other mommas waking their babies up to eat? My baby loves to cluster feed for about 2-3hrs in late evening but I almost always have to wake up her for her 3hr night feedings.

Re: Breastfeeding recommendations.

• Options
    I am waking DD for almost every feed day and night. I go 2.5-3hrs during the day and 4hrs at night. She is above her birth weight today but the pedi doesn't want her to go more than 4.5hrs at night right now. I don't set an alarm I just naturally wake every 3-4 hrs.

I pump once at night because she is often a lazy feeder at night. It's probably not the best idea because eventually when she is STTN I don't want to be engorged in the middle of the night so I am trying to slowly push my pumping session later To the early morning.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    I was told to do both sides at each feeding for 15-20 min each. Feedings no more than 3 hours apart. I do wake him to feed during the day every 3 hours. I never wake during the night. He usually goes 5-6 hours between feedings at night. I was told that I could pump to help relieve engorgement. I am not pumping to build a supply right now because I am a stay-at-home mom and do not need the stock right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    diesel115diesel115 member
    edited August 2015
    FTM here so I am by no means an expert, but this is what our LC has said from day one:

They should eat every 2-4 hours, or at least 8 times per day. The amount of time per breast varies depending on the person - size of breast and amount of milk available to the baby per breast. Let him eat on each breast for as long as he wants or as long as he is sucking productively and not just sucking for comfort. Again, depending on the individual and also how long it has been since the last feeding, baby may still be hungry after the first breast and need to switch to the other to finish the feeding session, or may be satiated after one breast alone. Always let them eat until they are full and don't nurse based on what the clock says.

Personally, I've never had to wake DS to eat. He never ever sleeps longer than 3 hours at a time and is up every hour or hour and a half religiously to eat through the night.

This is a really interesting thread as I'm sure what LC's tell people varies, looking forward to seeing what advice others have been given!
  • Options
    kat+1kat+1 member
    edited August 2015
    Feed on demand until babe lets go or you need to get up. Don't like or use cold cloths to keep baby feeding it's mean and forced feeding is bad cor tummys and gas.

"Comfort nursing" is real but it's not a bad thing it helps boast your supply so don't feel like it's a bad thing.
    You don't have to feed off both sides at each feeding and don't put a time limit on the feeding. Just make sure to be far and feed from the other side the next time.
    ( my son only had one side 5-10 mins right from birth till 10 months.

Babies in the first 3 months will cluster feed and be " needy" it's really not needy it's called being a baby. Go with them not against them.

Don't wake a sleeping baby for any reason. They will wake when hungry they need this sleep for brain development and growth.

Babies will let less some days and more others. That's just the way they are.

Breastfed babies can go 14 days with out a poop.

Pumping is not and accurate way to gage your supply. Baby is better at getting milk out then a pump. Not the other way around.
    Best way to tell if baby's getting enough is
    1. are they happy?
    2. are they peeing?
    3. are they gaining weight? ( make sure the sale scale is used everybody time as there can be up to .5 lb difference between scales.

When I. Doubt check out Dr Jack Newmans web site he is the guru of breastfeeding and my opinion better then and lactation consultant out there.
  • Options
    I feed every 2-1/2 to 3 hours round the clock. I generally don't have to wake LO to eat at night as he's up every 2 hours. I sometimes have to wake him during the day at 3 hours. I feed about 20 mins on each side at each feeding. He has never unlatched himself, so its hard to determine when to switch or when to be done..
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • Options
    I feel kinda crappy when I see how much your babies can/are eating. My girl eats every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 at night. I need to wake her for probably half of them. And she only eats for 5-20 min on one breast at a time. By the time she's done, there's no chance of getting her to take the other side. When she only eats for 5-7min I have horrible anxiety that she's starving. Nursing just puts her to sleep almost immediately and it's like she's become immune to every tactic I have to keep her awake. I just hope that she's gained the right amount of weight at her one month check up on Tuesday so they can tell me to chill out. I think I'm just traumatized from her very first appt when she was three days old and they labeled her with "breastfeeding failure" jaundice and told me I should be feeding every 1.5 hours. My milk hadn't even come in yet so the "failure" part really stung. It took about 3 weeks before I gave up and let her start going 2-3hrs during the day.

Ok. That turned into a vent. I think I've been stressed about it and feeling like I'm doing this all wrong since she's still not a terrific eater at 4 weeks. I digress...
  • Options
    megvaddi said:

I feel kinda crappy when I see how much your babies can/are eating. My girl eats every 2-3 hours during the day and every 3 at night. I need to wake her for probably half of them. And she only eats for 5-20 min on one breast at a time. By the time she's done, there's no chance of getting her to take the other side. When she only eats for 5-7min I have horrible anxiety that she's starving. Nursing just puts her to sleep almost immediately and it's like she's become immune to every tactic I have to keep her awake. I just hope that she's gained the right amount of weight at her one month check up on Tuesday so they can tell me to chill out. I think I'm just traumatized from her very first appt when she was three days old and they labeled her with "breastfeeding failure" jaundice and told me I should be feeding every 1.5 hours. My milk hadn't even come in yet so the "failure" part really stung. It took about 3 weeks before I gave up and let her start going 2-3hrs during the day.

Ok. That turned into a vent. I think I've been stressed about it and feeling like I'm doing this all wrong since she's still not a terrific eater at 4 weeks. I digress...

I feel your pain! We had jaundice from my milk coming in late and I feel so paranoid that he's not getting what he needs from me! He gained more weight than he needed to at his 2 week appt, but I still kinda feel like a failure!
  • Options
    megvaddi said:

My baby is hard to wake also. I strip her naked turn the fan on high. Blow on her you name it to try and get and keep her awake. She never wakes to feed I have to wake every 9 times out of 10. So TBH @kat+1 I can't follow really any of those rec's or my kid would never gain weight and the less she feeds the more sleepy she becomes.

I now have a. Bacterial infection on my nipples that I'm On an antibiotic for so I have to exclusively pump until Tuesday. I feel like a failure. I'm only one feeding ahead of her. And when she screams and wants to eat I cry because I wish I could just feed her.

We all have our struggles. Prayers mamas who are struggling.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Saratiff said:

megvaddi said:

My baby is hard to wake also. I strip her naked turn the fan on high. Blow on her you name it to try and get and keep her awake. She never wakes to feed I have to wake every 9 times out of 10. So TBH @kat+1 I can't follow really any of those rec's or my kid would never gain weight and the less she feeds the more sleepy she becomes.

I now have a. Bacterial infection on my nipples that I'm On an antibiotic for so I have to exclusively pump until Tuesday. I feel like a failure. I'm only one feeding ahead of her. And when she screams and wants to eat I cry because I wish I could just feed her.

We all have our struggles. Prayers mamas who are struggling.

I agree. The whole 'don't wake a sleeping baby' would yield terrible results for us.

I'm sorry about your infection. That sounds super frustrating. How did you know they were infected? My left nipple has been super painful and more red than the right but I'm scared to google image it.
  • Options
    She eats a lot!! Every 3h on average but at least once or twice a day she will want to cluster feed or comfort nurse. She does about 15min per breast, and sometimes does both but sometimes just one. I never wake her at night. She usually Wakes me every 2-3 at night!

My LC said pumping is fine whenever your milk comes in. She suggested started giving a daily bottle by 4 weeks. She said To pump every time LO gets a bottle except once a week.

• Options
    @megvaddi Try not to worry, mama. Easier said than done, I know. My kid is almost 7 weeks old and still have times when she is a shitty eater. Last week, she actually lost 3 oz instead of gaining anything over a week. Is Daya pooping/peeing enough? If so, I'm sure she is doing fine. Motherhood is basically just a lifetime of worrying.
  • Options
    I'm jealous of everybody who feeds for 10-20 minutes. My daughter would take an hour to an hour and a half to feed, due to constantly falling asleep or fighting against me and crying and wriggling around. I finally decided to pump and feed, as well as supplement. It's going much better and her pediatrician is supportive.
  • Options
    megvaddi said:

^^^my boy does the same thing. 5-20min on one breast. I can't wake him up I've tried everything short of cold water (which I won't do obviously) but he is gaining weight so far...he is only 1.1 weeks old. I've been pumping to get rid of the engorgement I get due to him only feeding on one breast at a time. He eats about every hour and a half. I'd like to have him eat more so I can get a decent nap in. It I figure that will come with time.
  • Options
    Overall, I've been told its more the output than anything else.  If they are pooping and peeing...then your good.  So if they want to sleep all night (ha), thats great.  Some babies like to eat lots during the day and go longer stretches at night while some are on consistent schedules.  I've been told that output is ultimately more important--and if they are gaining weight.

For feeding, my baby is super efficient so it can take 5-7 minutes a side...taking like 15 minutes total to feed.  My LC said that was perfectly fine and I could leave her on longer too if I wanted to bond/stimulate milk supply.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Love everyone's input and yes, every baby/momma is going to have a different experience! My thoughts go out to the mommas who are struggling, getting infections, etc. Just remember, your not a failure. Being a mom is hard enough and sometimes there's things that can't be controlled!
  • Options
    pabeybaby said:

I'm jealous of everybody who feeds for 10-20 minutes. My daughter would take an hour to an hour and a half to feed, due to constantly falling asleep or fighting against me and crying and wriggling around. I finally decided to pump and feed, as well as supplement. It's going much better and her pediatrician is supportive.

I think this is where I will be soon. I had issues with my supply with my first two. This time nursing is going better, but it's hard to nurse & pump when I have two older kids to tend to too. We supplemented with our first two and I'm sure it's just a matter of time before I feel supplementing is the best option for us. Baby 3 is a lazy eater, falls asleep almost as soon as she latches on.
  • Options
    SashaDenn25SashaDenn25 member
    edited August 2015
    pabeybaby said:

Every LO is different and you have to do what works best for them and you. Im glad you found a routine that works for you!
  • Options
    pabeybaby said:

I'm exactly where you are at too. We do what we have to do<3

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It hurts my heart to see some of you mamas thinking you are a failure. I know I'm lucky so far that my baby and I have a great breastfeeding relationship but none of you should feel like failures if you're having difficulties. You are trying your hardest to do what's best for your babies and that makes you wonderful mothers. Keep your heads up!
  • Options
    My baby hates my right boob. He nurses like a champ from the left boob but when I try to get him to feed from the right, he throws a fit. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've started pumping on the right while he nurses on the left but I know that the pump doesn't work as well as baby does and I'm worried about my poor, neglected right boob.

Any suggestions to encourage LO to stop discriminating? I'm desperate here.
  • Options

My baby hates my right boob. He nurses like a champ from the left boob but when I try to get him to feed from the right, he throws a fit. It's absolutely ridiculous. I've started pumping on the right while he nurses on the left but I know that the pump doesn't work as well as baby does and I'm worried about my poor, neglected right boob.

It could possibly be the let down of your right breast. Have you tried pumping the right one first for a few minutes before offering it to LO? I've heard that that could help.

Me: 25 | DH: 25  
    DD: Aug. 15
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    micshi said:

It could possibly be the let down of your right breast. Have you tried pumping the right one first for a few minutes before offering it to LO? I've heard that that could help.
    Great suggestion. I haven't tried that yet but I will before the next feed! Thanks :)