August 2015 Moms
Options

Increasing supply

what are we all doing to increase supply? I rented a hospital grade pump today, meeting with a lactation consultant.... What else works for you mamas? I'm starting to panic
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Increasing supply

• Options
    So far I've been sticking with drinking tons of water and eating extra oatmeal and cashews. My baby also eats every 2 hours and I pump twice a day. I have some Fenugreek on hand just in case as I'm worried about my supply decreasing when I go back to work in a week. Good luck to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am on prescription Reglan. My supply started to decrease even with trying all the things the PP's stated. My supply is much better now.
  • Options
    Lots of water, lactation cookies, and feeding on demand mostly right now. I've pumped a handful of times but not daily and not consistently. I'm a SAHM though so I'm not worried about the back to work needs. Biggest issue right now is my needs-a-lot-of-attention toddler which is why pumping has not been consistent :P
  • Options
    Try pumping right after the baby eats to make sure there is absolutely NO milk left in the breast (or squeeze it out manually). When there is absolutely no milk left your body will produce more, this will also help avoid breast infections, cligged ducts, or mastitis.
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to add, after pumping hand express until you get no more milk. Usually there are a few ducts that clear better with hand expression at the end. I just take one bottle off my pump parts and hand express the last few drops straight in. It usually only takes an extra minute.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jaquex3jaquex3 member
    edited August 2015
    My LC says to pump after every feeding to increase supply. It is kinda tiring and time consuming, I couldn't keep up. Maybe try after every other feeding? Also as PP have stated stay hydrated etc, try a lactation recipe. Are you still taking a prenatal or a postnatal? Target has a really good postnatal gummy called olly and it's really helped me a lot with breastfeeding
  • Options
    My milk supply was decreasing about a week after ds was born. I started to eat steel cut oats with chia seeds for breakfast every morning and my supply has gone up dramatically. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard good things about Mother's Milk tea for upping supply...something to consider but check with LC.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Pump like crazy, girl. Like after every feeding. Its a real pain in the ass but it works.
  • Options
    I've been power pumping since two days after having DD. I will tell you that my supply has doubled. I'm not able to pump 10 oz. per pump session and I have over 50 oz. in my freezer stash as of now. I pump for 20 minutes every 2 hours. It's not easy but it's been worth it.

GL! I hope your supply increases!
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Drink lots of water!
  • Options
    Exactly what everyone else said but I know we're all anxious to drop the baby weight. . . rapid weight loss can impact milk production. I think they recommend 1lb a week as a safe amount and should not impact supply. I thought I read somewhere you actually need more calories for BF-ing than you did whole pregnant. So if you're cutting calories, that may have something to do with it also.
  • Options
    I tried the fenugreek and it seemed to help. Only side effect we had was always smelling like syrup. I was warned tho that it can cause gas and tummy pains for some moms and babies so you want to keep an eye on any changes.
  • Options
    My LC has me pumping while feeding DS and then after he's done feeding as well as Motherlove More Milk tincture and Mother's Milk tea since his tongue tie caused low supply. The tincture tastes like death but has worked wonders.
  • Options
    Same as everyone has said! Steel cut oats, milkmaid tea, honest Co lactation plus supplement, as well as still taking prenatals! I wouldn't say I'm swimming in breastmilk, I would like a larger supply but I'm able to pump about 4-5 oz every two-three hours. I don't always pump that frequently, as I'm out and about.
  • Options
    ive tried adding oat meal to my food and it helps also i know it may sound impossible i pump every two hrs for 20 mins and let  my son nurse for about as long as he wants 
    once a day which is usually 1hr 45 min 
    checkout foods that help reproduce milk . 
    lots of fluids no caffine 
    or u may have a fusy baby 

• Options
    Skin to skin is also really great for increasing supply.
  • Options

I tried the fenugreek and it seemed to help. Only side effect we had was always smelling like syrup. I was warned tho that it can cause gas and tummy pains for some moms and babies so you want to keep an eye on any changes.

Yup it gave my little man gas. So I stopped it immediately. Now I'm dealing with a gassy baby.