January 2016 Moms
Options

Feeling fat..

I'm a curvy person anyway, and although my bump is round and firm (I'm 18 weeks) but I can't help but feel fat and extremely self conscious that I hate leaving the house. I have tried so many different style clothes, and all maternity clothes are a horrible shape and look loose and saggy on me, but my regular clothes don't fit me anymore ..I feel abit stuck ..
What has everybody else done to get over this feeling?

Re: Feeling fat..

• Options
    Remind yourself that it's not fat! It's a human! I struggle with this too, and if everyone were honest I'd bet most of the ladies on here do too. I agree with the PP. We will probably just have to wait it out. I feel better about myself when I wear a tighter top and comfy pants. I have some palazzo pants that I live in. It's an easy outfit, you look dressed up, you're comfy, and you look pregnant instead of fat because you're accentuating the bump! Good luck! You are beautiful!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm 18 weeks and don't think I look pregnant yet just fat! My jeans not button anymore and I'm wear skirts and sweatpants daily..I Need to buy some maternity pants soon. I feel like I'm at the awkward part of pregnancy that you don't look pregnant yet but have gained weight
  • Options
    I'm 18 weeks and don't think I look pregnant yet just fat! My jeans not button anymore and I'm wear skirts and sweatpants daily..I Need to buy some maternity pants soon. I feel like I'm at the awkward part of pregnancy that you don't look pregnant yet but have gained weight
  • Options
    I realized I'm a size smaller in maternity. I'm used to wearing looser tops because I'm usually self-conscious about my stomach not being perfectly toned...but when I tried on maternity, I realized I like the way the tightest possible clothing looks better! It makes my bump look bigger and more like a bump and not fat, and shows that I still have a waist and that the extra growing is all in my baby bump. You say maternity looks loose and saggy on you, I'd try some body-con styles in a smaller size and see how you feel about them. Also try some specialty maternity stores (Motherhood, Pea in Pod, etc.) I personally found that places like Old Navy etc. didn't make maternity clothes that I felt fit well, they seemed designed only for women who are like 7 months pregnant with a huge bump already, and sagged around the top of my belly where I haven't grown as much yet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I feel fat too, and pregnant all at once! I look down and can't tell if I need to trim up downstairs or not. It's depressing really. :((
    Kinda in a different spot as most Jan due dates I suppose, as though I'm 18w, my belly measures 30w.

Two years, two losses and three IUIs...

We are having TRIPLETS!

EDD 1/26/16

GGB born November 2015!

• Options
    I cried one day about it then came to the realization that it's going to be a long four months if I let myself be self conscious about it. It's a baby not fat and I might have to wear things I normally wouldn't but next summer I'll be back to my clothes :) for now I just have to style for baby... wear tighter shirts so you don't look frumpy. And I'd you don't feel comfortable with that buy lose shirts and skinny waist belts and belt your tiniest part (normally under the bust) it gives you a nice curve and pulls attention away from your belly and makes your pregnancy boobs look nice too ;) as for pants go with a maternity skinny, our legs look tiny during pregnancy with belly's growing. It's all about pulling attention from where your self conscious. Don't let it make you hate your body!! Love those baby curves ;)
  • Options
    I also prefer the fitted/stretchy maternity clothing over the looser stuff...
  • Options
    I feel the same way.

I'm 21 weeks and my bump is still small, not really showing that much. 

I feel more comfortable in fitted maternity tops and still use my regular jeans, eventhough I'm able to button them I prefer to use a bella band.

I guess we'll have to wait it out as everyone else says.
  • Options
    Me too! I just feel chunky, I can tell that weight is going everywhere not just the bump! It's so much harder than I thought it might be... I thought I'd just feel and look pregnant. I just feel fat and self conscious. Hopefully as the tummy gets bigger the feeling decreases!
  • Options
    I've found that wearing maternity shirts - especially form-fitting ones, rather than drapey, loose ones, actually helps.  It makes the bump look like a definitive bump, and not just chub.  
  • Options
    PHDBPHDB member
    I've been struggling a lot with this one. Generally I'm pretty small and have always had body issues so this is a challenge. I agree with the comments above; buy a few pieces of form fitted items and embrace the bump :) I keep reminding myself that weight gain is normal and healthy and breath...it's temporary. The cooler fall weather will help (I'm holding out hope on this one).
  • Options
    I feel fat and I'm really not, I just feel bleh like all my insides are mushed together.But thankfully I don't think about it when I'm out and about, so I don't worry about if I look fat.
  • Options
    My boobs stick out more than my belly with my super awesome new bra.. No one can tell im pregnant at work in my scrubs, and everyone is making comments at how big my boobs are. It's getting annoying. I know they think it's funny and I do too, but it's not that funny.
  • Options
    Thankyou everybody ☺️ ..although is not nice that many others feel like this, it's reassuring that I am not the only one! I appreciate all your kind comments, thankyou and good luck on the rest of your pregnancy! ☺️ x
  • Options
    I feel the same way. Prior to getting pregnant I had just hit 100 lbs lost. So it is hard for me to the scale to go up. I know it needs to but it's hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm not into tight-fitting clothes. I have found leggings, tunic, and empire waist belt accentuates your waist while making your pregnancy more visible without showing every nook and cranny of your body. (Just in case the idea of form fitting clothes makes you even more self conscious)!

ETA words
  • Options
    Feeling the same. My bump definitely popped out, which is great, but also am gaining weight all over and the thigh/butt situation is REALLY bugging me, even though I'm doing squats. Also agree I better figure out how to make peace with it because I'm 22 weeks and there's more weight gain to come.

For the clothes sitch - tighter tops definitely make me feel better.
  • Options
    PHDBPHDB member
    I was doing better with this...but most of my friends are ifbb fitness pros and now seeing all of their lean post show pics on ig is driving me nuts. Sorry, just venting...it's as though I have two sides of my brain fighting eachother