Baby Names
Options

How do these names sound to American ears?

I'm Persian, husband is American. We are expecting our second baby girl. Our first born is named Leila (pronounced Lay la). We'd like to pick a Persian name that is easy to say for Americans and also doesn't sound odd. What do you think of these names? Any other Persian names you recommend? Thanks for your opinion.

Roya

Samira (Sa-mee-rah)

Mitra (pronounced Meet Rah)

Re: How do these names sound to American ears?

• Options
    I like Samira. It is pretty, easy to pronounce, and goes well with Leila. She could go by Mira if you want a nickname.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I like Samira as well.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for responding. Would you keep the spelling as Samira or Sameera?
  • Options
    Keep it Samira. With a celebrity and more kids using that name, I don't see a problem with it. I like all three of your names, although Mitra is my least favorite, and I know how to pronounce all of them. Good choices!
  • Options
    I like Samira, as well. I would personally keep the original spelling :)
  • Options
    Linsbins, I live under a rock. I didn't know there is a celebrity named Samira. I'm now googling. :) Thanks for the heads up! Mitra is not my favorite, but funnily the American husband likes it. I prefer Minoo (Mina is taken already). He says no to Minoo.
  • Options
    another vote for samira
  • Options
    I like Samira and Mitra.
  • Options
    Love Samira!
  • Options
    I almost voted for Samira but I think I love Mitra more, especially with Leila as a sibling. All beautiful names though!
  • Options
    I also like Samira, Roya would be second. Mitra doesn't sound as pretty to me

• Options
    Samira is the only one I like out of the three.  The original spelling you shared is definitely the way to go.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • Options
    Roya is very pretty.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    I like them all but Samira is my favorite!

• Options
    Samira sounds pretty!
    imageimage

• Options
    Samira is beautiful!
  • Options
    I like Samira, it's easy to say/spell
    And I've heard it before. Mitra is a little harder. I don't like minoo at all
  • Options

Thank you :)

• Options
    Really like Samira!
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Options
    I think all three of your names are beautiful. In order, I like Samira, Mitra, then Roya. Mitra actually keeps growing on me the more I say it.

I did a quick look at behind the name and found a few others I like: Maryam, Neda, Shiva, Yasmin/Yasmeen/Yasmina, Zahra, Ziba
    (Although full disclosure I am guessing at the pronunciation of these names as behind the name doesn't show it!)
  • Options

Linsbins, I live under a rock. I didn't know there is a celebrity named Samira. I'm now googling. :) Thanks for the heads up! Mitra is not my favorite, but funnily the American husband likes it. I prefer Minoo (Mina is taken already). He says no to Minoo.

My childhood friend Nika is Persian. I like her name. Her mother is Minoo.

• Options
    I like Mitra, quite a bit. I know one through association, she is Persian and I've always thought her name was so lovely.
  • Options
    These are all beautiful names, but I like Samira the best. Nazfar is also a great name.

I'm American and my husband is Persian. We're having our first baby, a boy. Sorry for the extra question here, but I would love to know what people think of these boy names too!

Darius
    Kian
    Rostam
  • Options
    Rebis58 Neda was actually in the discussion and we like it  a lot. But it's pronounced Neh DA and my husband says it more like NEDA like really fast? I wish I could post a voice over to explain the difference.
  • Options
    I like Samira, very pretty and goes well with Leila!
  • Options

elvie718, we just found out that this baby is a girl. But up until last week, we were also thinking of baby boy names. I really like Kian and Nima.  We already have two Kians in the family so we couldn't go with Kian but it's my favorite.

Darius is really nice as well. So is Cyrus.

I'd stay away from Rostam if I were you. To me naming my kid is Rostam is like naming him after Hercules. I feel like he'd be made fun of in the Persian community but that's just my thought.

Congrats on your baby boy!

• Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Another vote for Samira. It's beautiful. I have a colleague named Samira and she goes by Sammi, though I also like Mira as a nn.  
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    Samira
  • Options
    I actually like them all, but Roya is my favorite!
  • Options
    Samira
  • Options
    These are all nice. Also, Soraya and Roxana come to mind. We also have a Layla and considered these two for #2 :)
  • Options
    Another Samira vote here.
  • Options
    I had a supervisor at work named Roya and I always loved her name. So that's my vote! I have a daughter named Layla so I love that name too, and when I say the two of them out loud together I think they sound lovely.
  • Options
    Samira is my favorite, but all are easy to pronounce
  • Options
    They are all beautiful, but I like Samira and Mitra the most. 
    BabyFruit Ticker