October 2015 Moms

Jacket or Car Seat Cover?

So.. I am debating on either a baby winter jacket that covers head to toe and then using blankets to go over the car seat. Or getting the cover thing that goes over the car seat? I live in Wisconsin so we definitely have winters here. But I don't think both will be necessary since we won't be having her out in the cold for long periods of time. Just to and from the car. What are your recommendations?? Or what are your plans??

Re: Jacket or Car Seat Cover?

• It's not safe for babies to ride in car seats with a winter coat on, so we will do a blanket covering the seat. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh my gosh. THANK God I asked!! Okay so baby cover it is! Thank you so much ladies! The coat I was looking at isn't very thick so I dint think it was an issue.
  • przemosbabeprzemosbabe member
    edited August 2015
    I would get a thin bunting suit. Dress baby as normal for winter and then put a bunting suit on over. The fleece ones are pretty thin. Whatever you dress them in, you need to be able to put them in the car seat without loosening the straps so coats don't work for that. So a thin bunting suit and a carseat cover would work. Just don't leave the car seat in the car and the cover will be enough for walking from house to car until the car warms up.
  • MamaOwl15 said:

Get a car seat cover like this one. These are safe because they go OVER baby after baby is strapped in to the car seat, and you can unzip if baby gets too hot.

Don't dress baby in any extra layers that require you to loosen the car seat straps or use any cover/bunting that goes under baby.

I got one of these from my shower from BBB, brand is JJ cole.

• For those times when you are outside for longer periods (like when you are going for a walk) I'm all for baby wearing a warm jacket/bunting. We will use a warm bunting for winter walks, as it gets WAY too cold here (it's not unusual to be -40 in the winter) not to. BUT if we are going to be putting the car seat into the car, our system is to put baby in the carseat, blankets tucked over baby, and then a car seat cover like the one @mamaowl15 posted. And a car starter is a saviour to help keep the baby warm, too. 

I feel like this is one of those topics that there isn't enough general public education about! I see so many parents with babies in thick jackets in car seats. FYI, the danger is that in the event of a crash, the straps aren't secure enough and babies end up being thrown from their car seats. It's a serious issue! 
  • Babies should not wear a jacket/coat/snow suit while in the car seat
  • Get a car seat cover like this one. These are safe because they go OVER baby after baby is strapped in to the car seat, and you can unzip if baby gets too hot. Don't dress baby in any extra layers that require you to loosen the car seat straps or use any cover/bunting that goes under baby.
    I got one of these from my shower from BBB, brand is JJ cole.
    I just saw the JJ Cole ones at Winners for a good price! In case anyone is looking. :)