Nurseries and Baby Gear

Bassinet AND Pack n Play necessary?

Hi ladies I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't figure out how to search for a question from my phone.
I plan to breastfeed and intend to purchase an Arms Reach Co Sleeper or Halo Swivel Bassinett. I feel these will make my life much easier but SO thinks just using the pack n play next to our bed will be fine. Arguments/opinions??

Re: Bassinet AND Pack n Play necessary?

• I wasn't comfortable using the PNP for sleep. Lots of bad reviews on the mattress and overall comfort. Plus, I wanted baby sleeping on an organic mattress if possible. Your husband doesn't have to BF. lol. I'd go with the arm's reach or Halo Bassinest to make life easier on you. I've been researching the Bassinest. Live the swivel too so you don't have to scoot down to the end of the bed to get up. Both options you mention will allow you to pick up baby from bed to BF. A little but so helpful luxury.
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • IMO they serve different purposes. We got a pack n play for traveling and our daughter uses a bassinet in our room for sleeping when at home.
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO they serve different purposes. We got a pack n play for traveling and our daughter uses a bassinet in our room for sleeping when at home.

I was going to say this exact thing. Every time we travel we take the PNP for DD to sleep in... She's almost 3 and we still use it. At home I use something else for the baby.
  • I used the bassinet part of the PNP for nursing.  I really wish though that I had a co sleeper.  It would have been easier to not have to reach down and pick up baby into our bed. I love the idea of them being level with the bed so you just pull them over then put them back more easily. But really though, your husband is right, you don't need something else.  It's just nice.  I did the PNP with all 3 but we ended up cosleeping so it became a moot point. 
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • Agree with PP.
    Co-sleeper for everyday sleep! PNP is for travel/naps at grandmas. My kids were never comfortable in that thing to sleep in it but a few times. It's also good for a playpen later when they are crawling and you need to go to the bathroom real quick.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am in a minority here apparently but I had a PNP and a cosleeper and cosleeper went back to the store. I feel like cosleeper/bassinet are not needed when you have a PNP. The PNP was standing right next to our bed so I just needed to sit up and pick up the baby which I would have anyways even in cosleeper since most of the time she needed to be changed. PNP is extremely versatile! DD slept in the bassinet portion of the PNP for first 6 months, then moved to her room into a crib and PNP can be used for a long time as a place to sleep while traveling or I would put it in the kitchen and put DD in it with some toys while cooking or doing dishes. A bassinet I feel is useless since babies grow out of it in a matter of couple months and co sleeper was pretty much serving same purpose as PNP just not as versatile.
  • ^ I agree. I will be using the bassinet portion of the PNP next to our bed (almost all of them come with this option now. While bassinets are adorable and the co-sleeper seems convenient, babies don't spend very long in them and I can't justify the expense. I'd rather spend a little more on a quality PNP with some added features, that LO will use for years!
  • I think it really actually depends on your baby. I started out with a pack n play in the living room and a crib in the bedroom. I was lucky if my daughter took a nap in the pack n play. She definitely never slept in it for longs periods of time. I loved it because mine was already inclined. My mom actually went out and bought her a bassinet that I can take from room to room and she used it slightly more than the pack n play.
    I know a lot of moms in real life who just used the pack n play though.
  • HWKIHWKI member
    I had the co-sleeper and was constantly worried about our blankets covering up the baby and kept waking up to check. The cosleeper was hand for bfing but she needed to be changed everytime she woke up any way, so I still ended up getting out of bed. We are just going to move her crib into our room this time.
  • Check out the nuna sena. Pack n play that has a cool feature. We used it for our twins, super handy.
  • We are getting a bassinet for our bedroom and a pack and play for downstairs. This way I don't have to lug things around the house.
  • We had planned to use a pack n play next to our bed, then decided to use our crib next to the bed but LO had trouble sleeping in both and was able to roll over from day 3, we ended up using a Moses basket on a stand by our bed and she seems the most comfortable in there and sleeps the longest
  • Do they all come with a bassinet part? Any specific recommendations?
  • I found a PNP on JC Penney that had the bassinet in the PNP, and a frame that you could put the bassinet part into for use in another room. I also loved the idea of a bassinet and a PNP...but didn't want to spend that much money. I'm so excited this was a perfect option for us!

I hope this is still helpful to someone even though it's nearly September :) I think this is a common question!