Baby Names

the name Dude for a boy

What do you think of the name Dude for a boy? My husband is adamant that we name our son this but I have never heard of it and pretty well dislike it at this point

Re: the name Dude for a boy

• Loading the player...
  • Pretty well dislike is an understatement - I really hate it. It's been causing major tension and discord between us as ridiculous as that is. I wish he would compromise a little as I agreed to a middle name but he won't have it. Ugh.
  • babymott said:

Pretty well dislike is an understatement - I really hate it. It's been causing major tension and discord between us as ridiculous as that is. I wish he would compromise a little as I agreed to a middle name but he won't have it. Ugh.

Oh yikes! That is really awful that he won't compromise on this one. It's not even that it's a "bad name" it's just down right mean to do to the future human that would be attached to the name. Maybe getting the opinion of other people he likes/respects (as in friends or family) might help?? Because I don't think anyone will give him positive feedback on this name. Perhaps if you talk about how bad it is in front of others and he sees everyone agreeing, then he might come around and realize this is an unacceptable choice?? Just an idea. Best of luck with that one!
  • Why does he like it so much?
    He needs to compromise, period. You made the baby together- you name him together.  I'm sorry he is being so difficult.

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• SamAdams2006SamAdams2006 member
    edited August 2015
    @misslilac I think you're on to something.
  • Yeah. I'm not sure. It makes me sad that some father/father to be wants to name his child Dude.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Unfortunately it is real. I wouldn't post on here unless I was serious. I'm not sure why he likes it so much but I think it's some association to his surf culture? I really think it's mean to name a child that. Everyone he has asked agrees with him - partly why I posted here as I have been rather shocked by the amount of people who seem to think its great. We have even asked random people on the street and they have also agreed with him!? I can't understand it but my family does not approve of the "name" whatsoever.
  • :-O Do not let your husband do that to your child! What about naming him after a famous surfer? Kelly, Taj, Adrain, Dane? Or maybe something like Dax, Kai, Bodhi...those seem like surfer names to me.
  • He must be joking. Dude will grow up to be a beach bum or criminal. Consider other names!
  • Tell him you are using your veto power on this one. You shouldn't have to name a child something that you know is so wrong, no matter how much he likes it.

And if he asks people on the street and they say it's great, maybe it's because they don't care and have no interest in your child's future.
  • Dude could be his nickname for ANY name! But not giving him a real name to fall back on seems wrong ;)
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited August 2015
    Why does he want to do this to an innocent child? This is all I think about.

• Forgot the picture
  • This is all I can think of:

Diagnoses: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, POTS, PCOS
  • NO! just NO
  • babymott said:

Unfortunately it is real. I wouldn't post on here unless I was serious. I'm not sure why he likes it so much but I think it's some association to his surf culture? I really think it's mean to name a child that. Everyone he has asked agrees with him - partly why I posted here as I have been rather shocked by the amount of people who seem to think its great. We have even asked random people on the street and they have also agreed with him!? I can't understand it but my family does not approve of the "name" whatsoever.

It's pretty hard to look someone in the eye and tell them the name they've chosen for their child is just the worst. That could be why everyone has given you positive feedback.

I would just tell him to forget about it because it's not going to happen. If he refuses to come up with any other name choices then congratulate yourself because you then get to pick a name yourself.
  • Heck no. It reminds me of that movie Parenthood where the no-good brother named his kid Cool.
  • ecwkecwk member
    Haha, good one. =))

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just can't.

The only compromise I can think of is name the kid Dudley and nickname him Dude? Or maybe Duncan? How much pot are your Husband's friends smoking? I can't fathom anyone thinking that name is an ok idea while sober...

Not my favorite name, but what about Duke? It's at least a little more respectable, and a reference to a surfing legend (Duke Kahanamoku).

• mud muddy mud

Seriously dude

Mud
  • Well since he's obviously super mature, I'll come back with a mature response. The best nn for Dude is Doodie, and yea. Both are terrible.

• In my experience all men love The Big Lebowski, but even The Dude had an actual name.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Regardless of the name, if one parent says no it should be off the table. He should respect your opinion. FWIW, I teach 4th grade and won't let my kids call each other Dude. I tell them we show each other respect and use names BECAUSE DUDE IS NOT A NAME! I can see it as a nickname but definitely not a legal one, or even a middle name for that matter. It's just terrible!

• TheBorg7of9TheBorg7of9 member
    edited August 2015
    There's a podcast episode of lexicon balley where they talk about the origin of this term. Pretty interesting.

Not a name though, might as well name him Boy.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• babymott said:

What do you think of the name Dude for a boy? My husband is adamant that we name our son this but I have never heard of it and pretty well dislike it at this point

No. This is where you go Walter crazy on him.

• breezypip said:

In my experience all men love The Big Lebowski, but even The Dude had an actual name.

I mean if there ever was an upside to a gawd-awful name, then it's this one. When he's older and refuses to do his chores you'll be able to glare at him and go (in your most terrifying parent-voice) "the Dude abides".

In all seriousness, no. Don't do that to your kid.