January 2016 Moms

BTDT winter babes - carseat cover?

I've been debating whether or not we need one, would like input from mamas who've had winter babies - can a blanket do the job or are the special covers worth it?
Fwiw I'm in New England so I expect lots of cold and snowy conditions around LO's due date.
TIA!

Re: BTDT winter babes - carseat cover?

• I'm in South Dakota.  My last baby was born in Sept, but by October it's effing cold here.  We definitely had a carseat cover.  It was just a simple, shower-cap type.  I have it stored somewhere to use with this baby, too.

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

DS1 01/08/03 DD1 08/11/04 DD2 10/06/08 DS2 09/30/14

SURPRISE!  Hannah May born 01/22/16

AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers

• @GAgirlinSDakota I've seen a couple different styles, do you like the shower cap style or would you get a zip-front one instead?
  • Loading the player...
  • The shower cap one I have also has zippers in the front.  Like this one:

Image hosted by ImageSocket.com

SPNG Tags Sam  Dean  Cas  Photoshop  WTF  Dancing  Funny  or disturbingLooking for a particular Supernatural reaction gif This blog organizes them so you dont have to spend hours hunting them down

• Okay that helps! Thanks a bunch! :)
  • My friend has one for her baby and she said she absolutely loved it so we registered for one.
  • I'm in Toronto and my first was a December baby. Honestly I consider the cover like above a necessity. It's just too cold and windy for blankets alone to cut it.
  • I'm in MA and my son is a December baby, you definitely want one! Also, shower cap style, you don't want anything between the baby and the straps, nor anything between the baby and the seat!

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! I'm also in New England and appreciate the recommendations.
  • I'm also in New England and I REALLY appreciated this Lucie's List rundown of cold weather baby stuff, especially the car seat warmer section - it's a 3-part series, starting here: 
  • Oops, link didn't post - here it is: Lucie's List
  • My son was born last December and I LOVED having a carseat cover. The blanket seemed like a lot to fuss with, and they obviously aren't supposed to wear bulky clothes/jackets in a car seat. Mine had a wind blocking material on the outside and was lined with fleece. Kept the wind away and kept him warm! I'll definitely be using it again for this baby.
  • I tried just using a blanket with my first (MN), and it blew away in the wind too much. Felt so bad for my little one - he looked so shocked by the cold!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I just used a blanket with my first and tucked it under her, but I got a car seat canopy this time. It was only $10 used
  • Car seat covers are the best! Blankets get kicked off or fall off.
  • Car seat cover for the win! Like pp's have mentioned, make sure it's a cap style and that no fabric goes between your baby and the seat.

I live in Canada, and this will be my second December/January baby. We wore a lot of long sleeved cotton onesies under fleece sleepers with wool booties and hats (along with a swaddling blanket tucked around them) under the shower cap cover.
  • I live in upstate New York and you guys sold me on getting one of these!
  • The shower cap one I have also has zippers in the front.  Like this one:

Image hosted by ImageSocket.com
    I had one similar to this one. I don't care for the ones that go under the baby in the car seat. Anything that interferes with how the car seat fits makes me nervous. DD was born in May but we used it all through the following winter. Also I learned you aren't supposed to have anything thicker than a light fleece on the baby. So no puffy coats. They can make the restraints ineffective. We pretty much only used the shower cap thing to keep her warm when transferring back and forth to the car.
  • Has anyone had any experience with the car seat canopy?
  • This is what I'm going to register for. About a week ago I ordered the Bob stroller deal where I got the Bob infant car seat for free plus $75 off and used another coupon. I know this cover isn't insulated but I'll be able to put a blanket over my baby when it's cold and it won't blow away, and then I can also use this if its raining to get baby to the car during the other seasons since my garage isn't attached to my house. I really try to make as much use as I can out of things and not have to buy so much.
  • Also in Canada and fully plan on having one of these covers. I didn't know about the two styles though, so this is good information to consider. I think I would prefer the shower cap style, as I agree I wouldn't want anything interfering with car seat fit.
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • I live in Michigan where it can get pretty cold. I have used both a cover and blanket. I find the cover to be easiest. The blanket always seemed to want to fall or it gets in the way the the wind/weather ends up on my poor LOs face. I just bought a cover from Milksnob which is multipurpose as well. You can you it also in a cart and nursing cover.

• I highly recommend having one that zips, it warms up the back of the car seat since there are holes for the straps. We got one pretty cheap at Once Upon a Child (like $10!).
  • I was happy with a hat and fleece sweatshirt/one piece on baby with a couple of blankets.
    1.0&2.0 7-29-11

• bectons said:

Has anyone had any experience with the car seat canopy?

They are good, but if really cold or windy, they blow a little and uncover baby. My first was born in March and it was nice after a few months when we were out and about. Also great at the store so others don't touch new baby. I'm worried it isn't enough coverage for a jan baby in Ohio where I live
  • We live in Montana and our winter runs from October-may smh the car seat Canopies are really cute but if it won't keep baby completely warm I won't be getting one!
  • I highly recommend having one that zips, it warms up the back of the car seat since there are holes for the straps. We got one pretty cheap at Once Upon a Child (like $10!).
    I can't tell for sure which kind you have, and I do not want to tell you what to do with your child.  I just want to make sure you are aware that nothing (other than baby's clothes obviously) is supposed to go between baby's back/bottom and the car seat.  Even with holes for the straps.  If I misunderstood what style you have, my apologies.

• I would go with the car seat cover. My baby was born in December and having that cover helped tremendously and also eased my worry about blankets being over her for too long.
  • Thanks everyone for your input! We're definitely going with a carseat cover for this LO!