August 2015 Moms
Options

Chunky breast milk?!?

Kfries1311Kfries1311 member
edited August 2015 in August 2015 Moms
Hi mom's. So I had my son this past Sunday (33.2 weeks) So he is in the NICU. But I have been on top of pumping since I have had him to start to build my supply & bring him milk daily. But I just got done pumping & I went to combine my milk into 1 large jar & as I did that I noticed it would have thick areas in it. I used a spoon to see what it was & it's like a stringy mucus type stuff. Is it normal to have chunks like that? I am grossed out & I am having a hard time wanting to save it & bring it for him. I am really considering to dump it. Please help.

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    I haven't had this problem since this time. So I'm not sure if it's clogged ducts or not. I noticed it as soon as I was done pumping. I put it in the fridge to save it to bring to the NICU. I have it labeled on which ones they were in. Because it came out of both breast. But thank you ladies. Still disgusted by it. I'm due to pump again in another hour so hopefully it's not like that again.
  • Options

Have you had any issues with plugged ducts? I read that when a plugged duct unclogs it can come out chunky or stringy. You can always bring it for him and have the NICU nurses look at it or even an LC at the hospital.

This exactly. I had a clogged duct and some of my milk looked like what OP described. According to my pedi, it was completely safe to give to LO. Definitely ask the nurses as suggested for peace of mind.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Like others said don't shake breakstmilk!!

Did you find the lumps in the cold milk or warm milk? If it was in the cold, it could just be separated fat and should go away when you warm it up.

And I'd be careful combine milk from different pumping sessions. Adding new/ warm milk to cold milk will cause the cold milk warm up and that *may* cause issues. I'm not saying it will deft go bad but it could. Maybe I'm a little overly cautious (my first was a NICU baby too) but I read that somewhere once and never mixed old and new unless they were both the same temp.