Baby Names

Please give me your honest opinions on Jet for a girl

SamAdams2006SamAdams2006 member
edited August 2015 in Baby Names
Hey! So I am due in January, DH and I have been discussing names for the last few months with little to no luck. We just cannot agree on a girl's name! At this point I am worn down, and my taste/opinion had changed so many times that I don't even trust myself anymore. I don't want a super popular name, but I also don't want a trashy crazy name either. For some reason "Jet" has been just about the only thing we have kind of agreed on. He loves it, I am a little skeptical but I have to admit it has totally grown on me. If this was my name I would like it. Jet also sounds great with our common two syllable last name. However, I really want opinions on this. I'm nervous about giving our little girl a weird name that sounds like we were trying way too hard to be "different". My mother looked at me like I had two heads and told me it was "horrible". Please give me your thoughts, I would appreciate it very much.

Re: Please give me your honest opinions on Jet for a girl

• Bahaha I just very much so laughed out loud.
  • Loading the player...
  • Bad. Bad bad bad. Please, listen to your mom!
    Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh that's really bad. I'm so sorry. That's just...not good. I'm worried that your husband agreed to the name. Please run all future choices by your mom first.
  • It's too far. Sorry.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Jet is barely an acceptable boys name, definitely not one for girls. Keep looking!

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• It's a stage name. And not a particularly good stage name. 

keep looking. 
  • Am I the only one thinking West Side Story???

• Am I the only one thinking West Side Story???
    My mind instantly went to Tank Girl. 

But, seeing as how we are pre-apocalyptic, not a good name.
  • jet is pretty bad. give her a real name and use Jet as a nn. (I don't even like it for a nn)

Jeanette nn Jette

Joan nn Jett ;)

• Thank you, I really don't trust either of our opinions anymore. Normally DH and I agree on most things, but when it comes to baby names we cannot see eye to eye. It started with me really wanting Serena or Mallory, and him only wanting Jennifer or Jessica. Which I couldn't bring myself to name my daughter, half of my graduating class was either named Jen or Jess. So somehow we ended up with Jet after about a million more vetoed suggestions. I really appreciate the input, because I think after discussing it with him so many times it started to sound like a totally acceptable option. By the way, my mom would love this thread.
  • Mama knows what she's talking about. It is horrible. Sorry, but keep looking. 
  • No way! You have a while, maybe take a step back. The name will come to you :)
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Agree that Jet is an awful name.

However, my grandma's name was Jeanette and her nickname as a little girl was Jet. I think it started with her baby brother being unable to say Jeanette though, not as an intentional nn.
  • I think it's time to back away from the naming conversation for a while ;)
  • Thank you, I really don't trust either of our opinions anymore. Normally DH and I agree on most things, but when it comes to baby names we cannot see eye to eye. It started with me really wanting Serena or Mallory, and him only wanting Jennifer or Jessica. Which I couldn't bring myself to name my daughter, half of my graduating class was either named Jen or Jess. So somehow we ended up with Jet after about a million more vetoed suggestions. I really appreciate the input, because I think after discussing it with him so many times it started to sound like a totally acceptable option. By the way, my mom would love this thread.

While Jennifer and Jessica were super popular in the late 70s-esrly 90s, it is almost unheard of to use those names today. You'd be virtually guaranteed that she'd be the only one in her class (if you live in the US...apparently Jessica is making a comeback in the UK right now). But even the most popular names today are used nowhere near as much as the most popular names when we were kids. So even if you went with Emma or Sophia, there would be a decent chance she'd be the only one in her class.

Granted, she'd probably also be the only Jet in her class, but that's because it's a bad name. I don't hate Jeanette or Juliet nn Jet though.
  • jenfarm3jenfarm3 member
    edited August 2015
    i'm obviously in the minority or the nonexistent even... but i like names like these. lol. backing away now...

ETA: chances are, i wouldn't ever name my kid a name like this, but i definitely give kudos to parents to take names a little out of the box (sometimes) and i wouldn't side eye it. i actually would probably give a "props" nod.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Love that you're a good sport about hearing how awful this name is! I personally love the options you like, Serena and Mallory, but if your husband isn't on board, I think you should work together to figure something out. I know you have time, but if you want to consider other options that might meet in the middle of his style and yours (which don't seem too dissimilar BTW), maybe consider some suggestions.

Off the top of my head:

Justine
    Samantha
    Natalie
    Cassandra
    Melanie
    Joanna
    Whitney
    Savannah
    Claudia
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Jet is bad for a boy.  Its even worse for a girl.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • No, no, no.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• I'm glad you took the feedback like an adult OP because Jet is very much trashy crazy.

You had nice original choices and for the most part I think men tend to think of names that were popular when they were growing up because unlike us names and babies aren't something they think about until it's right in their face.  My husband liked a lot of names similar to yours.  We usually set aside a date night, and bring 15 or so names to the table and go from there.  Nymbler.com might be a nice place to play around too since you can both enter names you like and it will bring up some middle ground.

• Not a fan. More of a nickname.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• My ex girlfriend in high school left me for a Jyett (yeah, spelled just like that). I think it was a nn for Jessica, but I'm just sharing this anecdote to add fuel to the anti-Jet fire ;-)

I have a strong personal bias against the name Jet, lol (almost ten years later and apparently I'm holding on strong to that grudge!), but I think it'd potentially maybe be a nn option for Juliet
  • I side-eye it even for a boy

Me (31) & DH (35) #DFDubClub
    TTC since August 2013 - Break: Jan-June 2014
    Everything looks good on me so far.  Going in for U/S in Oct just to be absolutely sure everything is good.
    SA for DH pending.
  • I think if it was a nickname, that would be one thing. My daughter has a nickname that not only people would side-eye, but if someone heard it as a nickname, they would assume it was a boy. It just happened, and it stuck. But she does have a legit female name (that is even spelled correctly!), so she isn't stuck with her nickname.

Anyway, I see no harm in a nickname of Jet. I like the previous posters suggestion of Juliet, with the nickname Jet. However, you will have to remember that at any time, she could say that she is sick of Jet and wants to go by her legal name. 

I also went through the same thing with picking out a name, I was on one end of the spectrum, my husband on the other. We couldn't even agree enough to combine our lists before we went into the hospital. I was slightly panicked. But in the end, we walked in with 19 names, and she was named in 10 minutes (first name on one list, middle name not on either list). We love her name, and wouldn't change it. If we have another kid, and don't have a name come hospital time, I wont be worried. HAHA
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • In the movie "Practical Magic" with Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, one of their aunts was named Aunt Jet. Her real name was Bridget. So what about Bridget, nn Jet?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Pregnancy Ticker

• only if you use blue as middle name would it be acceptable :D
  • You need to take a 1 month break from all discussions of naming.  Clear your mind and come back to it in October.  You still have plenty of time.

Your mom is right, and your instinct not to trust your own opinion is right.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • There was a girl named Juliette in my high school class and she went by Jet. No one thought twice about it. She was really cool/nice. So while I can't see it as an actual name, I don't think a nn is bad. 
  • Yes listen to your mom!

Love the suggestions of Bridget and Jeanette!
  • Yeah, I think stepping away from names for a bit will be good for me. I've definitely been a little stressed out over it, and this is something we should be having a little bit of fun with. He's totally stuck on girl names that start with J, so I might need to explore more options there to come up with a compromise. My dad is a Joseph and my sister is a Joelle, so I've been trying to get him to come around on Jolene Louise, Louise is his mother's name. I thought it could honor both of our families and he would get the J letter start that he seems to really want. But we had been really considering Jet in out top two now for about a month and I needed some unbiased opinions on it. The more I thought about it, the more normal it was starting to sound. So I'm very happy to have a big thread of negative comments to bring me back to earth!! Note to self: names outside the top 1000 might be outside the top 1000 for a reason.
    Jolene would be great! Joanna and Josephine are other good options.
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Juliet Louise.

nickname: Jet.

BOOM!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Trying too hard
  • @eliztheforrizz I love Joanna, always have. He's not crazy about it, but I've been holding out hope for the last couple of months that he might come around.