Boston Babies

Beth Israel Deaconess

Does anyone have any BIDMC L&D stories they can share with me? I'm newly pregnant and my OB delivers here. Were you happy with the process and care you received? Have you delivered anywhere else?

BabyFetus Ticker
It's a GIRL! EDD 2.6.15

Re: Beth Israel Deaconess

• They were fantastic! The nurses are the best and took excellent care of me.
    6 m/c
    Anovulatory cycles, increased Synthroid Diagnosed Sep 2010
    Natural cycle Dec 2010 BFP M/C 6 1/2 Weeks, D&E Jan 2011
    1 Clomid/Ovidrel BFN May 2011
    Natural cycle Aug 2011 BFP M/C 4 Weeks
    1 IUI Sept 2011 BFP M/c 7 weeks
    Provera Dec 2011 BFP M/C 3 Weeks
    DQ ALPHA HLA MATCH, High NK Cells Diagnosed Dec 2011
    IVF March 2012 BFP m/c 4weeks 5 days (IL, Prednisone)
    IVF#2w/DS July 2012 MEGA FAILURE BFN (IL, Dexamethasone)
    Diagnosed No real HLA Match, DQ Beta Triad, High TNF, Low NK Cells
    Oct 2012 Natural Cycle m/c 4wks (Lovenox, Prednisone) 
    Went to Beer Center- high tnf, low lad, implantation failure
    Nov/Dec 2012 LIT Treatment
    Dec 12 Humira
    Jan 2013 BFP
    Humira,LIT,Prednisone, Lovenox, IVIG, Baby Aspirin
    Miracle Born August 2013 Premature

Yours doesn't have to be a sad story

Lilypie - (ugiy)

• I had a great experience. I was induced so I spent two full nights in L&D. I got a great sampling of nurses and doctors. Liked some more than others but all were great.

One thing you may notice is that everyone promotes breast feeding. Each goes about it a different way, but all were respectful of personal wishes. I say this just so you aren't surprised if some nurses are more aggressive (not in a rude way) than others.

If BFing is your plan, you may want to consider talking to a lactation consultant before baby arrives. This will elevate pressure on you in the event you need help once you leave the hospital. In the hospital there was always help, but it can feel lonely once you get home. It might help to have already established a relationship with someone.
    Can't figure out the signature thing, so here's the short, short version.....first daughter born on November 10, 2013. She was conceived through the magic of IVF after 2+ years of TTC.
  • Loading the player...
  • lulu783 - thanks for asking this!  I decided to go with my ob/gyn since I like her, and if I don't like her style as an OB I can switch later (haven't seen in over a year as I have been with a RE).  She is part of BIDMC and I have been looking for experiences on delivering there too.

Good luck to you!

And thank you ladies for sharing your thoughts.
    ***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Glad to hear this too-- also plan on delivering at BIDMC!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oddity is I work here (at BI) and I am dreading delivering here. Having delivered at BWH for my last two kids and now b/c of insurance having to go here *smh* sorely lacking in the care that I have gotten so far and I am sure the birth experience will be the same, which makes me look at my colleagues in a whole new light. uggggggggggggggggggg
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Baby #1 7/16/10
    Baby #2 11/14/12 
    Baby #3 12/11/14
    Baby #4  3/30/17
    Baby #5 2/28/19 
    Baby #6 Miscarriage
    Baby #7 7/3/22
    Naturally with PCOS

• I loved being there! They took such good care of me and my family while I was there. I am sad that my OB does no longer delivers there. I was told to go to the hospital on the 8th and had my C-section on the 10th. My husband was well taken care of as well. I was in the hospital for 4 more days after giving birth because I had very high blood pressure. They didn't want to discharge me but I wanted to go home. So they let me go but I was back in a day and they took good care of me again and made sure there was no way I would be coming back. 
    Also while there the nurses would have my husband change the baby because they knew he never did, that way he was comfortable. Which was great since I was back for another week and he had to take care of the LO by himself. 
    As for the breastfeeding yes everyone thinks it is best and that everyone should do it. My MIL was pressuring me and I had a heart to heart with one of the nurses about the fact that I couldn't do it and I was being pressured she looked at me told me it was my decision and no one else's. Then kicked my MIL out saying visiting hours were over so I was no longer bothered. And she took care of the L/C so she didn't come back either because she knew I was stressed about no being able to breastfeed.
  • AnonnAni - I'm guessing that you recently delivered and curious how you feel now that you've gone through the experience at both BI and BWH?
  • If anyone else has info on BI - good or bad- I'm interested too! I'm thinking of doing a natural birth if possible.
  • I'm planning on delivering at BI, my obgyn is cindy kobelin. I was super stressing out trying to find an obgyn last week as soon as I found out that I was pregnant. I literally researched over 100 obgyn's from 4 different boston hospitals. Everything I've researched seems like BI is a great hospital to deliver and what put me at ease is that it is so close to childrens God forbid anything goes wrong and the baby needs more critical care.
    28 yo, married this past July. DH is 29 yo and a 2 time cancer survivor. TTC for 2 months now 

My Ovulation Chart
  • I delivered at BI. E beginning of March and I highly recommend it there. The nurses and doctors were amazing and made sure I was taken care of the whole time. They are also good about making sure your partner is taken care of while there:) Best of luck
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    edited April 2015
    I delivered at BI on 3/25 and was fortunate enough to have my OB deliver my LO (coincidentally, my OB is Marc Kobelin!).

Pregnancy: My experience at Dr. Kobelin's office is incredible. He works out of the Lexington office. His staff is very nice and very accommodating of schedules and so patient (I'm a FTM). Also, I was a transfer from CT and saw Dr. Kobelin midway through my pregnancy (saw him at 20 weeks). With each of my appointments, he was SO kind, patient and willing to go with my ideas (placenta encapsulation, bringing my own hospital gown, natural birth, etc) pending each situation. The only downfall is that he's one of fourteen doctors who might deliver your LO... Luckily for me, I went in on one of his days on.

Birth Experience: I wasn't so happy with the triage nurse who checked me before admitting me... but everything else from labor/delivery and the mother/baby unit was a dream. I was about to crack at 9-almost-10 cm dilated and was considering an epidural, but the nurse and my H were amazing and kept me on my all-natural, drug-free plan. I was also ecstatic that although we didn't end up needing 'em, the NICU team was in my room within seconds due to LO's bowel movement in the womb. Also, the mother/baby unit nurses were so dang nice and understanding. I never sent my daughter to the nursery... but I was "that mom" who constantly paged the nurses because I had no damn idea why LO kept crying/had SUCH a difficult time breastfeeding. Each nurse I had during my stay was kind, patient and came to my room within 5-10 minutes (even at night) of paging. The LC were also nice... but of the two who I saw, one who was kinda short with me and too straight to the point when I was already vulnerable from cracked, bleeding nipples. I digress. Oh, I had a private room for L&D and for the mother/baby unit- the latter had a decent view! And my H had a great stay there (SO and moms get three meals a day- don't forget to order extra to munch on throughout the day!!) although the pullout couch isn't too comfortable.

Post-Partum: I haven't seen Dr. Kobelin for my 6 week pp visit yet (I gave birth 3 weeks ago). But I'm sure he'll be as awesome as he always is. :) Oh, and his main nurse, Anita, is such a dang doll!

Edited to include private rooms and H's experience.
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Anyone else with stories? Do you guys know if you need to pay extra for a private room for mother/baby unit or is it included?
  • jenandcrisjenandcris member
    edited May 2015

Anyone else with stories? Do you guys know if you need to pay extra for a private room for mother/baby unit or is it included?

To my knowledge, you automatically get a private room unless all the rooms fill up. If I remember correctly, there are 13 L&D rooms and 15+ postpartum rooms between two "units." When I was there six weeks ago, there were less than 8 rooms occupied. So they placed us patients in every third (or so) room to stagger the infants' cries and to give patients privacy/rest from other patients' issues/visitors. That said, I NEVER saw any of the other moms until my little family was discharged and I mentioned this to the nurse (who explained what I explained above).

ETA: Edited to be more specific.
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • Anyone else with stories? Do you guys know if you need to pay extra for a private room for mother/baby unit or is it included?

To my knowledge, you automatically get a private room unless all the rooms fill up. If I remember correctly, there are 13 L&D rooms and 15+ postpartum rooms between two "units." When I was there six weeks ago, there were less than 8 rooms occupied. So they placed us patients in every third (or so) room to stagger the infants' cries and to give patients privacy/rest from other patients' issues/visitors. That said, I NEVER saw any of the other moms until my little family was discharged and I mentioned this to the nurse (who explained what I explained above).

ETA: Edited to be more specific.
    Thank you so much! Unfortunately I was in labor and delivery unit myself twice in the past two weeks. We won't be delivering there anytime soon, but when we get pregnant again, I will definitely go back! They were excellent with me and although the first time in there were more women than delivery rooms (they had to take one woman to the OR to deliver… Not by c-section but because they were so filled up,) despite that I felt that I got excellent care and was not delayed in treatment due to the fact that they were full.

Thank you!

• Em208Em208 member
    I delivered my first there. Wasn't the greatest experience; some great nurses and others not so wonderful and supportive. I was given pitocin to speed things along and it was so horribly painful that I kept asking for an epidural but was refused for the longest time. Maybe there was a good medical reason for this but the nurse just avoided me instead of explaining.

I also wanted to see a lactation consultant to make sure I was doing everything right. She came in, told me to breastfeed and said, "oh you've got this, you're fine" and walked out. Didn't bother to spend time making sure I was comfortable with it or had any concerns.

I'm pregnant now and moving over to Brigham and Womens this time.
  • BostonBaby1BostonBaby1 member
    edited August 2015
    *Edit for repetition
  • I had 2 very bad miscarriages at BWH so I switched to BI and never looked back. To each their own. I loved it there! I delivered my last daughter there and hopefully our new one :)