June 2015 Moms

Two month shots

Re: Two month shots

• hoodoll82 said:

Forgot to add that I fed LO afterwards and then she spit up a ton. So I suspect the rotavirus oral dose did not take. Nurse didn't seem to think it was a problem... She was like, oh well, she gets another dose in a few months...(?)

Thats normal not to re dose unless it was immediate (like a couple seconds) spitting up. You dont know how much your baby absorbed.

• @swaugh14 As soon as you put the medicine in their mouth , blow in their mouth. They have a natural reaction to swallow. I also put it slowly in their back cheek.

@virginiaunicorn11 I thought Motrin wasn't supposed to be used until 6 months...has this changed?
  • Loading the player...
  • @laurendutch Awesome! Thanks for the tip!

And I'd also like to say that overall I agree with @virginiaunicorn11 - the shots are sad and LO was a little bit not herself yesterday, but overall our experience was far from a nightmare. Nighttime was good and today she's certainly back to her old self. Don't fret mamas!
  • I have to agree...my LO woke up screaming four hours after, but once the Tylenol kicked in he went back to sleep. He woke up at 6:30 as happy as could be. No more Tylenol needed. It wasn't that bad.. Today he's totally back to normal.
  • Shots were harder on me than her... She whined a bit and then was all smiles afterward... She seemed more snuggly and sleepy than usual but overall fine... No fever so we didn't use any Tylenol.
  • Our LO barely made a peep when he got his shots luckily! He was a little more fussy than usual but nothing major. Luckily the experience just seemed to tire him out! He only got up once in the night to feed, and then slept again a lot the next day before going back to his usual self. Also, the oral vaccine turned his poop really green so don't freak out if you notice this after.
    It's definitely harder on us than on our LOs lol
  • @laurendutch - we took LO to the health department and they wouldn't give advice on meds for the baby. then we asked a GP and same thing, though he said half a teaspoon was probably fine. we had Motrin on hand from my niece, so we used it. the label said ages 2-11 and ask your doctor for ages under 2. maybe we shouldn't have used it. no side effects, and not something I plan on doing again.

good to know its not recommended. would be nice for the health professionals we asked to take some responsibility and tell me that!! too late now, so I'm not going to stress. thanks for the heads up.
  • @virginiaunicorn11 I hope I didn't come across rudely! I was just excited bc Motrin works so much better with the aches that come from shots, so I was a bit excited! Plus, when they are allowed Motrin you can switch off every couple of hours between Tylenol and Motrin. So crazy how no one gave you instructions on dosage/medicine!
  • @laurendutch you weren't rude at all! I'm just frustrated that the health care professionals seem more worried about liability than helping me, and am mad at myself that all our moves mean I have no pediatrician to call yet. A genuine thank you for the info!
  • Aren't they so sweet just sitting there not knowing what's coming? Such innocence. And then boom! The injections start and the crying starts and it just about broke my heart. Fortunately, my guy was comforted quickly and had a little fever that night but did fine overall. It sucks but it is SO much better than measles!
  • I'm terrified of LO getting his shots. He's due on the 27th and every time I think about it I get teary. DH passes out thinking about shots so I know I'll be the one holding him and I just don't even know if I can. I'm "that mom". Ugh.
  • @bethanne09 it will be fine. The shots themselves take a second! Try to
    Think of them in a positive way. They are going to protect your LO.
  • LO got his shots today. I made DH go with me for moral support (plus to help with DD). The little guy cried after the first but I got him to calm down quickly, before the second one which the nurse warned me it burned and he did cry more for that one. As soon as she was done she told me I could pick him up which I did and he stopped crying almost immediately. We came home and took a nap together, with him on my chest. He hasn't had a fever and he is currently down for the night just like normal. I think the lead up to the shots was worse than the actual shots because I felt so guilty knowing that he was going to be in pain. Now that it's over and he doesn't seem to be in any pain (lots of smiles tonight) I realize I made it worse in my head than it actually turned out to be.
  • LO got her shots at 11:30. Her pain cry broke my heart. She slept for 3 hours, then woke up. Around 4:00 she started getting fussy before breaking into an all out SCREAM. No fever. I gave her Tylenol (which freaked me out) and now she's sleeping on my chest. My poor baby. I hope she feels better when she wakes up. :(
  • I will have DS on the same schedule as I put my daughter with shots, a modified schedule with one at a time, and not until school starts (he will not be in "public" until then.. And school being preschool at 3-4 years old) I believe in them 100%.. and he will be completely vaccinated, just not at 2 months old. My ped agrees, and also agrees it's a pain because of the "norm" lol.. and most shots are getting more and more combo'd, which I hate
  • We got ours this afternoon and the nurses were so sweet they had two come in so they could give two at the same time and then the third. Baby is a little fussy tonight but doctor encouraged not to give Tylenol unless he acquired a fever so hoping his bath and bed time will help.
  • My LO got her shots this morning. So far, her reaction has been pretty mild. She was extra cuddly right after, but not fussy. She did want to nurse constantly. Then about 4-5 hrs after the shots she starting crying a different kind of cry, not her hungry or tired cry. I read it as pain and gave her the smallest suggested dose of Tylenol, and it seemed to help a lot, she napped well after that. And then she went down for the night pretty easily and earlier than normal. Didn't seem to be in pain, so I didn't give any more Tylenol, but maybe more sleepy than usual.
  • I went into the shots appt yesterday not knowing it would be rough so being oblivious can be good! Same reaction as many, cried only a tiny but at the actual doctor, then hours later was inconsolably crying. I didn't do Tylenol for the same reason, doc said it might make the vaccine less effective so I stuck my boob in his mouth on demand to soothe him. He also liked sleeping on my chest.

I noticed that my baby wasn't taking to formula top ups in the last day though. I hope this doesn't become an ongoing thing? Anyone else have a similar problem?

Really glad to hear this crying doesn't last more than 24hrs! Thanks for the reassurance everyone.
  • We had shots today and it wasn't bad. But I think my normal is a lot worse than typical. I'm actually enjoying snuggling through the first part of witching hours even though it probably means she will only sleep on me tonight.
  • LO had his today. They had 2 nurses, one on each side. He cried for a few minutes but fell asleep in the car on the way home. He slept for a couple hours, woke up half smiling, had a bottle and dosed back off in my arms. Slept for a couple hours and tried to put him down in his pack n play, woke up screaming in pain. Changed his diaper and snuggled him, he cried for about 20 minutes and dosed back off. Tried to put him in his swing and he woke up fussing. Gave him tylenol and fed him and snuggled till he fell back asleep. Put him in the pack and play where he napped for about an hour. He woke up fussy a few minutes ago, but he's half asleep on my chest giving little half smiles. I felt awful, he was laughing on the way to the doctor, poor guy had no idea what he was in for. It was cute, though, he got mad when they took the rotovirus syringe out of his mouth.
  • @Natjune 2 month old vaccine experiences are here - no need for a new thread :) hope all goes well for you and your LO!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The shots for DD (13.5months) were worse than the shots for LO. She came up off my lap like, HOLY CRAP WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?! I about cried. LO didn't like hers and screamed, but she was easily comforted with Tylenol and mommy. :)
    The nurses said it really helps if you keep their limbs moving as much as possible for a day after. I think that's why LO was more upset after a nap because she had laid in one position for a couple hours.
  • I'll add another reassuring note:

My LO screamed during the actual shots but calmed down pretty quickly. I fed him when we got home and then he was extra fussy for about half an hour, when we fed him again and put him to bed (it was an evening appointment). The next morning he was fine and didn't even seem sore in his legs.

I'd been really nervous about it and even brought along my mom for support since DH was working, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.
  • It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be at all. LO had a significant fever that day and slept all day but I got him moving some and we sat in a warm tub to relax and he slept fine that night. Next day was about the same with a lower fever, but he was a mostly happy baby.
    He was not happy when they injected him, but he calmed down when the boobies came out.

• He was not happy when they injected him, but he calmed down when the boobies came out.

Haha love this!
  • LO got his shots this morning. Boy, was he pissed! He did calm down after some boob action, but it took him a little bit on the boob to fully calm down. So far today he has been following his usual routine. When he is awake and alert he is acting normal, but when he is fussy, he's more fussy than usual. We'll see how tonight goes
  • Poor girl got shots this afternoon and when she wakes from sleeping she cries and I mean cries :( breaks my heart I don't really feel Tylenol did anything either bc she is still pretty upset I'm nervous what the night will bring ...
  • my LO is getting his done tomorrow. not looking forward to this, i thought it was a few days from now.
  • my LO is getting his done tomorrow. not looking forward to this, i thought it was a few days from now.

Honestly, I built it up in my mind and thought it would be worse than it was. He slept a lot, and when he was awake he was a bit fussier, sure, but nothing some boob couldn't fix. He would even have his normal talking and interactions after eating, too, he just seemed to get annoyed sooner than usual. Basically the same as usual, but with everything (attitude, crying, sleeping) a little amped
  • mellymar said:

my LO is getting his done tomorrow. not looking forward to this, i thought it was a few days from now.

Honestly, I built it up in my mind and thought it would be worse than it was. He slept a lot, and when he was awake he was a bit fussier, sure, but nothing some boob couldn't fix. He would even have his normal talking and interactions after eating, too, he just seemed to get annoyed sooner than usual. Basically the same as usual, but with everything (attitude, crying, sleeping) a little amped
    im more worried about walking half an hour to get back home than i am about how he will be when we get there. i dont want him to be screaming the whole time im pushing the stroller to get us back home. i can nurse him before we leave the health center but between that and home idk how many benches to sit down on there are.
  • ^^ ah. Hopefully after his experience and then nursing, plus the motion of the stroller, he sleeps for you!
  • i just noticed my time card for the appointment says 10:10, but the nurse reminding me on the phone said 9:25.. are you supposed to go in early or something? thats almost an hour difference.
  • i just noticed my time card for the appointment says 10:10, but the nurse reminding me on the phone said 9:25.. are you supposed to go in early or something? thats almost an hour difference.

They must be confused, I would just call in the morning to double check. Our LO fell asleep after the shots too. I think the burst of crying got some energy out and he was out for a few hours after the shots. So hopefully you will get a good stroller nap out of LO too.

My drs office always asks that we arrive 15 min early and usually I don't make it early. I'm on time for my appt, but not for the 15 minutes early. This week I was, for once, 15 minutes early, and it was a good thing because I had to answer a questionnaire about LOs development and things I have seen him doing at home... Used my 15 minutes right there. Maybe its something like that? But even still, that's a long ass questionnaire if you have to arrive 45 min early.
  • My LO fell asleep before we even left the office. He woke up about 4 hours later and ate then went back to sleep. We gave Tylenol 8 hours later only because he was a little feverish. He was so sleepy he fell asleep again. I was scared too but DH reminded me we all went through it and he needs them. I think it was more traumatizing for me. Good luck mommies! They're not all bad experiences.
  • LO got hers yesterday. It was so heartbreaking to watch her sweet face knowing that in a few seconds she would be in pain from the needle.
  • zxxiv2 said:

LO got hers yesterday. It was so heartbreaking to watch her sweet face knowing that in a few seconds she would be in pain from the needle.

We're going tomorrow morning...I don't think this will happen to me, as every time we've been to the doctor so far, she starts screaming bloody murder as soon as we walk in the waiting room. I doubt I'll even be able to tell when the shots happen, since there will likely be no break in the screaming. Sigh.

I'm nervous about our day/night tomorrow though. I Have Tylenol on hand. Hopefully she'll be normal. Her normal already involves much screaming, so there's that.
  • We went today for LO's 2 month shots. She was already a little cranky since it was nap time. She kept falling asleep and woken up again for each portion of her exam plus the actual vaccines. She took the oral vaccine with no problems. They had 2 medical assistants to give the 3 shots quickly. She screamed a new "I'm in pain scream." DH was a reck and I got a little mama bear-y. The 2 medical assistants took what seemed like forever to find the vaccine information papers AFTER, while she was screaming. I'm not one to nurse in front of strangers so I was a little PO'd the didn't leave more quickly. She nursed for a bit and still had trouble settling. She's been sleeping and eating intermittently but very vocal. She'll normally nap on her own now but needs to be held or nursed like the old days. Ped said hold off on Tylenol unless she really needs it. No fever so far, will try a bath before bedtime.
  • Anyone else's lo still feel bad a couple of days afterwards? He had his shots Tuesday afternoon....yesterday was a little rough but not unexpected since still within24 hours plus my mom was here and our routine got somewhat off. But today he was just crying so hard when I was putting him to sleep for his afternoon nap, which is unlike him. I wondered if he's still not feeling good?