Baby Names
Options

Thoughts on Isla

Big brother Graeme has a sister on the way. DH and I have agreed on Isla as her name.

So two questions-how does the sibset sound, and is Isla getting super duper popular?

I actually got the suggestion from this board a few months ago when we started TTC. I just feel like I've seen it a lot since then. TIA!!

Re: Thoughts on Isla

• Options
    I like it! They sound nice together. I don't think it will ever be super crazy popular...but I don't have anything to base that on!

• Options
    It sounds nice as a sibset, as for popularity...

In 2014 it was rank 150. It first broke the top 1000 in 08' debuting at 621. So yes, it's a classic name but it's usage is trendy. 

I think you can get away with it more then others (By which I mean, not using it because it's trendy but using it because it has cultural/sentimental significance to you) because of your sons name. It's not like you have a Jayden. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you! That's what I'm hoping.
  • Options
    First of all, your username is amazing.

And you're right, it is rising in popularity which I'm alright with, I just worry it will become the next Emma, Ava, etc which I don't want since DS has such an uncommon name. Other names we've considered are Teagan and Quinn. Idk, naming a human is hard.
  • Options
    I really like Quinn! Isla is lovely too.
  • Options
    Isla is beautiful, and goes great with her brother's name. I don't think it's too popular to use myself, but it depends for how unique you're going for. 
  • Options
    Isla is lovely, and I think it sounds amazing with Graeme. I agree with @wassuphoes (as usual) and I think your usage of it is not trendy so it works. Also, I don't think it will ever be an Ava or an Emma, so I wouldn't worry. Great choice!
    LFAF September Siggy Challenge: Pinterest Fails

• Options
    I really like it. Different but not totally weird.
  • Options
    It's a pretty name.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your input! :)
  • Options
    ecwkecwk member
    Love it

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    i LOVE isla. it's one of my top picks, but DH doesn't care for it. :( the sibset sounds good.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Options
    I love Isla but it is getting rather popular.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    great sibset! I like Isla and I don't think it will be overly popular
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Isla is my top girls name, but DH doesn't like it :( Out of curiosity would you pronounce it Eye-la or EE-sla? I love the Eye-la pronunciation, but some friends just named their girl EE-sla, which I found out is the spanish pronunciation. They are not spanish, just world travelers and said that is the only way they had ever heard it pronounced. Now I've heard of a few EE-slas so I'm wondering which will become more poplar. I've also seen it Aiyla.  
  • Options
    I love Isla, and I don't think it's too popular at all. 150s is not too popular. I think if it weren't at least a little but mainstream you could have pronounciation issues.
  • Options
    Very pretty!
  • Options
    LOVE Isla.  Great sibset.
  • Options
    Isla gets a ton of love on this board, but I wouldn't use it because of the pronunciation issue.  

People will not know whether it is pronounced EYE-luh, IS-luh, or EE-slah.  Your daughter will forever be correcting people's pronunciation.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options

Isla gets a ton of love on this board, but I wouldn't use it because of the pronunciation issue.  

People will not know whether it is pronounced EYE-luh, IS-luh, or EE-slah.  Your daughter will forever be correcting people's pronunciation.
    This.
  • Options
    2-Step said:

Isla is my top girls name, but DH doesn't like it :( Out of curiosity would you pronounce it Eye-la or EE-sla? I love the Eye-la pronunciation, but some friends just named their girl EE-sla, which I found out is the spanish pronunciation. They are not spanish, just world travelers and said that is the only way they had ever heard it pronounced. Now I've heard of a few EE-slas so I'm wondering which will become more poplar. I've also seen it Aiyla.  

We would pronounce it eye-luh. I've never actually met anyone IRL with the name.
  • Options

I have certainly considered this. Poor DS has gotten every pronunciation on the planet for Graeme. My favorites are Jerome and Gray-me... Even with the inevitable pronunciation issues that will come with the name Isla, DH and I still really love it.
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I like Isla. I've never met one
  • Options
    My niece is named Isla (pronounced EYE-la).  It's a nice name, but I do anticipate many years of people calling her Is-la.
  • Options
    I like it! I think having a famous actress with that name should help with the pronunciation confusion. Besides...no one says is-land, they say eye-lund. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    2-Step said:

I would pronounce it Eye-la. And I love the name OP! Of course there will pronunciation issues but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker. Graeme and Isla sound wonderful together. And you aren't spelling it Aiyla so that's already a win for you.