February 2016 Moms

Fffc 8/28

not actually flame free....

Re: Fffc 8/28

• Based on the conversation about leaving kids in the car...flame away.

Having twins can bring on a different set of challenges that most people with one child or even two close in age don't understand. Sometimes during those early months, I had to choose what was best for my childrens safety and sometimes...the better option was leaving them in the car.
  • Twindling said:
    Based on the conversation about leaving kids in the car...flame away. Having twins can bring on a different set of challenges that most people with one child or even two close in age don't understand. Sometimes during those early months, I had to choose what was best for my childrens safety and sometimes...the better option was leaving them in the car.
    Are we talking getting stuff from the house or grocery shopping here? I mean if its the latter, yup, judging!
  • Loading the player...
  • Forgetting my child in a hot or cold car is legitimately one of my biggest fears about parenting! My husband worries that they will join a fraternity in 18 years. I'm worried about keeping them alive in the first year.

Confession:
    Yesterday, I was playing a game with my SPED class that involved a lot of jumping. One of the paras expressed concern and said I shouldn't jump, it could hurt the baby.

My confession is that even though I know logically that jumping at 16 weeks is totally fine and it didn't hurt me or the baby, I felt guilty about it for the rest of the day and lost sleep over it last night.

Pregnancy is turning me into a paranoid nut.
  • @cantobean DH won't allow me to jump on the trampoline with DD anymore. I'm like she's 2, we're not doing flips and crazy things. I'm just waiting for my appt on tues to check with the doc. I assume with you since its a class you normally do its fine
  • @Twindling I don't see anything wrong with the first scenario, I take trips in the house if I've forgotten something and I only have one! I also live in a small town though, and you might be shocked at the vehicles that get stolen. At least in our town it is heroin users - they don't care about anything other than getting their fix. I'm not sure knowing there are kids in the back would change that :/
  • Twindling said:
    Twindling said:
    Based on the conversation about leaving kids in the car...flame away. Having twins can bring on a different set of challenges that most people with one child or even two close in age don't understand. Sometimes during those early months, I had to choose what was best for my childrens safety and sometimes...the better option was leaving them in the car.
    Are we talking getting stuff from the house or grocery shopping here? I mean if its the latter, yup, judging!
    Grocery shopping? Heck no. I'm talking leaving the car locked & running in the middle of winter to run them inside individually to daycare so that I didn't slip and fall on ice trying to carry them both up stairs into daycare. I felt that me falling down the stairs carrying both of them could do more damage than the small chance that someone would steal my car with one of them inside. Also, in my small town gas station (literally like 300 people) I'll run inside to get the girls a juice and me a drink quick. In and out in less than 2 min, car is locked and running. I'm all about safety over convenience in most situations (like rear facing) but the odds of something happening or someone stealing my car in a town so dead and small with literally only a gas station are slim to none. And let's be honest here....if you're going to steal a vehicle, it sure as heck ain't going to be a minivan ;)
    NO judgment here. I hate that parents even have to question themselves in situations like this. My first BMB is fairly united in never ever ever leaving children in the car on purpose, even at older ages. Like some of them wouldn't even leave a kid in the car in their own driveway to run groceries inside. It seems extreme to me.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • Once I was around 8 or so, my mom would leave me in the car all the time to run errands-- mostly because I didn't want to go and wanted to stay in the car and listen to music. My dad used to leave me in a car, double parked, to go to the bagel store. We lived in brooklyn, there wasn't much choice lol. I'd even sit in the driver's seat and pretend I was driving. I wouldn't do that these days because someone would probably smash my window open-- but at 8 years old or so, I think it's perfectly acceptable to leave your kid in a car- as long as they aren't special needs or anything. 

I did see something that REALLY upset me the other day though. I was on a bench in the west village outside a bagel store. A mom came up with her two kids... one in a stroller (about 3-4 years old) and one walking beside her (about 2 years old). She took the two year old inside with her and left her other child in the stroller outside the store! It's the middle of a busy NYC street and I don't care if she had eyes on her (if she even did, I don't know...) it only takes a second to roll that baby away... she's on wheels!  I thought it was really naive and bizarre. I didn't say anything because I didn't feel like it was my place-- but it was crazy to me. 

Feb '16 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing About Fall: Haunted Houses and Scary Movies! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Twindling said:
    Twindling said:
    Grocery shopping? Heck no. I'm talking leaving the car locked & running in the middle of winter to run them inside individually to daycare so that I didn't slip and fall on ice trying to carry them both up stairs into daycare. I felt that me falling down the stairs carrying both of them could do more damage than the small chance that someone would steal my car with one of them inside. Also, in my small town gas station (literally like 300 people) I'll run inside to get the girls a juice and me a drink quick. In and out in less than 2 min, car is locked and running. I'm all about safety over convenience in most situations (like rear facing) but the odds of something happening or someone stealing my car in a town so dead and small with literally only a gas station are slim to none. And let's be honest here....if you're going to steal a vehicle, it sure as heck ain't going to be a minivan ;)
    I just started leaving my 9 year old in the car, I make him lock it, if I want to run into the gas station. I don't judge and the chances of something happening are slim but personally, I am not comfortable with it. I will park next to a cart rack every time so I don't have to leave my toddler/baby in the car for 2 seconds while I put it up. Times are different and people are crazy, I just don't want to chance it. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Twindling said:
    I mean, as long as you don't leave a dog in there, I wouldn't judge you.

Joking!
    =))
    Due Date:  Feb. 24, 2016
    Team--Pink (but our nursery is Orange, Blue, & Purple!)

Feb 2016 September Siggy Challenge:  Things I Love About Fall--Pumpkins!

• Luckily there aren't any heroin addicts in my town ;)
  • @chitownparent
    Because of your dog comment ;-) This is my town for you.
    https://youtu.be/TCDbY_lXS5A
  • @oregontrailmom -->  Those characters on Portlandia are TOTALLY my husband and I!  LMAO
    Due Date:  Feb. 24, 2016
    Team--Pink (but our nursery is Orange, Blue, & Purple!)

Feb 2016 September Siggy Challenge:  Things I Love About Fall--Pumpkins!

• MamaFroFroMamaFroFro member
    edited August 2015
    Last year in my town a mom's minivan was stolen with her child in the backseat at a gas station when she ran in quickly for something. They lead the cops on a high speed chase but luckily the child made it home safely in the end. I don't judge those who do it though, as long as you are smart about it and your car is locked, ac running on a hot day, etc.

Eta a tip I heard to keep from forgetting your baby in a car during those sleep deprived days-leave your left shoe in the back seat with baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

Happy Birthday Month to Me!

• I can eat 200+ carbs a day and not gain weight. I hope this discourages my doctor from admitting me to the hospital to make me gain weight.
  • Last year in my town a mom's minivan was stolen with her child in the backseat at a gas station when she ran in quickly for something. They lead the cops on a high speed chase but luckily the child made it home safely in the end. I don't judge those who do it though, as long as you are smart about it and your car is locked, ac running on a hot day, etc.

Eta a tip I heard to keep from forgetting your baby in a car during those sleep deprived days-leave your left shoe in the back seat with baby.

That's some scary stuff. We had a car stolen not far from our neighborhood last winter that was running, the owners had it warming up. I don't even like running in for a last minute item if I have already buckled my kids in... And I live in a small town. I'm far from a "helicopter" type parent but that kind I stuff just makes me nervous.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I also confess my favorite part of the day is cuddling with my cat who is all about being under the covers. She is my nap buddy!
  • I ate a blueberry bagel for breakfast and chips and dip for lunch, and I sorta feel bad about it, but nothing else sounds appetizing. We're going to a concert tonight so I'm sure dinner will be junk too :/

imageLilypie - (zxAe)

• I ate a nutter butter for breakfast. Only thing that sounded good! :\">
  • Twindling said:
    Twindling said:
    A few years ago, a woman's car was towed in my mom's neighborhood with the woman's child inside it.  The woman came home later in the evening, and she lived in a complex that had no parking, but she wanted to get her kids upstairs and inside before parking the car some distance away.  She put her hazards on, parked in the red, locked the car, and took her first child upstairs. While she was putting the child in bed, a tow truck came and towed her car.  Tow companies in these complexes are notorious for "stalking" the area and towing cars immediately because they make a profit.  The poor woman was of course beside herself when she got back downstairs moments later to find her car and child gone.  It was all sorted out, and miraculously, the community and police did not find her at fault, or shame her, and felt she was only doing what she had to do.  The tow company was prosecuted but I don't know what happened to the case. 

Anyway, that story was not meant to scare you because I doubt that happens where you live. What I'm coming around to is that I agree with you in either scenario.  You gotta do what you gotta do, the risks are low and the rewards are high, and it seems like others recognize this, too.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • FFFC: I'm the worst housekeeper ever. I'm a student at home with DS all day and DH works full time but he still does a lot of the cleaning around the house. It's shameful. I'm thinking about making myself a chore list. I feel much calmer and happier in an uncluttered, clean house, but I can't keep up with it most days.
    Married 8.5.12
    Caleb born 10.9.13
    2.0 due 2.1.16
  • FFFC: I'm the worst housekeeper ever. I'm a student at home with DS all day and DH works full time but he still does a lot of the cleaning around the house. It's shameful. I'm thinking about making myself a chore list. I feel much calmer and happier in an uncluttered, clean house, but I can't keep up with it most days.

I need to do this again too. Certain things on certain days each week. It worked really well for me a while back and I just sort of deviated from the routine.

Also, our new house is 1000 square feet bigger. That is so much more to clean than I anticipated. Ha.
    Pregnancy Ticker

September Siggy Challenge - Favorite Thing About Fall:

• Here's my FFFC---

I judge people who don't use "their" "there" and "they're" correctly, even in texts and social media.  It's and its aren't as big of a deal to me, but come on--we're talking about three very different words here, people!!  

And "your" and "you're"! 

Lately I'm side eyeing the number of people who don't know the difference between queue and cue. NOT the same word, folks!

I seen hole being used as whole earlier.... My biggest pet peeve is people who have horrible grammar/ just don't care enough to use correct words. I'm mobile and 99% of the time I think my sentences are good (sometimes I goof or just don't care) but reading a paragraph that's worst than a text from a 13 y.o. drives me insane! I think you look uneducated and finishing reading isn't even worth my time. (You being used in general.)

• I'm side eyeing my BFF who still calls Alzheimer's "all-timers" and the fact that she's had 3 kids and still can't figure out that "affazed" (her own made up word) is really "effaced"
  • Twindling said:

I'm side eyeing my BFF who still calls Alzheimer's "all-timers" and the fact that she's had 3 kids and still can't figure out that "affazed" (her own made up word) is really "effaced"

Ps. We need a randoms thread to just talk amongst eachother lol this comment definitely belongs there and not in the FFFC thread ;)
  • I'm covered in a itchy rash and I've had thought of taking a cheese grater (not literally) to my belly more then once today.
  • My BIL's girlfriend says fool instead of full, thank instead of think, and "we was" alllllll of the time.
  • kris10mac said:
    FFFC: I'm the worst housekeeper ever. I'm a student at home with DS all day and DH works full time but he still does a lot of the cleaning around the house. It's shameful. I'm thinking about making myself a chore list. I feel much calmer and happier in an uncluttered, clean house, but I can't keep up with it most days.
    I need to do this again too. Certain things on certain days each week. It worked really well for me a while back and I just sort of deviated from the routine. Also, our new house is 1000 square feet bigger. That is so much more to clean than I anticipated. Ha.
    I used to be a once-a-week cleaner but this became completely overwhelming and I felt like I was spending my entire weekend doing chores, running errands, etc. And I would completely dread it. I now clean a room/area each day and don't spend more than a half an hour on it (in addition to my few daily things that I do). This is so much more manageable for me and I at least feel like the house is at least presentable at all times, even though everything isn't ever spotless at the same time. Obviously this doesn't work for everyone but it works for me. It's so much easier for me to get off my butt knowing I only have to clean the kitchen, for example, rather than thinking that I have to clean the whole house (because then I'll just put it off until I don't do it at all). 
  • I'm covered in a itchy rash and I've had thought of taking a cheese grater (not literally) to my belly more then once today.
    I've taken a scrub brush to my legs before. It was a bad idea. I hope you find relief.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I seen hole being used as whole earlier.... My biggest pet peeve is people who have horrible grammar/ just don't care enough to use correct words. I'm mobile and 99% of the time I think my sentences are good (sometimes I goof or just don't care) but reading a paragraph that's worst than a text from a 13 y.o. drives me insane! I think you look uneducated and finishing reading isn't even worth my time. (You being used in general.)

------------------------------------------------------------------

You saw, not you seen. 

Haha you're right!!

• I've been sick so my doctor told me to stick to the BRAT diet. Of course I took this to mean I could eat an apple cinnamon bagel...I mean applesauce and bread and both on the diet...
  • I've been sick so my doctor told me to stick to the BRAT diet. Of course I took this to mean I could eat an apple cinnamon bagel...I mean applesauce and bread and both on the diet...

That sounds like fair game to me!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I dislike the name of this thread. If it's not really flame free why not just call it Friday confessions?
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • cboucbou member
    My biggest concern about leaving kids or animals in the car when it is justifiable or reasonable is the crazies who will report you or break your window. I take my dog to work with me when the weather allows since we have really mild summers in AK (a ton of people here do). This summer some guy in my office came and told me that my dog was overheating in the car. I went outside and it was 50 degrees and the car was in the shade. The temperature inside the car literally would have had to double for her to be in any danger. I told him to mind his own business bc I have been raising her for 9 years and know what I'm doing.

One time my sister was at a baseball game and it was really hot, so she put her son in the car with the AC blasting to cool him off during his nap. She was standing outside the car talking to a friend when some lady flipped out, called the cops, and tried to start a fistfight with her saying that it was too hot in the car for her son. I know this is a very serious issue and people do really stupid things, but take a minute to think about the circumstances.