TTC after 35

Weight loss/special diet check-in

This is a check-in for those who are losing weight/eating a special diet to help with TTC. Please tell us:

1. Your screen name or first name and where you are from.

2. What's your plan for weight loss of healthier eating? Are you following a certain diet?

3. How have you done so far? Total weight lost or health benefits you've experienced.

4. What's a favorite healthy meal you've made this week, or a go-to meal that you love?

Re: Weight loss/special diet check-in

• 1. jennOK

2. I have been attending Weight Watchers meetings to work on my weight loss. My mom is going with me which is helping to keep us both more accountable. I like that it encourages you to eat more fruit and vegetables, but it's not so strict that it limits you to anything.

3. I've been going about 3 months, and I've lost 7 pounds. I've had my ups and downs getting started. The last two weeks I've just maintained my weight. The stress of starting back to school got to me. I am glad I didn't gain though. I would really like to lose at least 20 more pounds.

4. One of my go-to quick meals is a stir-fry-like dish I make.

1 package of broccoli slaw
    1 cooked chicken breast, chunked
    1/2 package of some kind of stir-fry noodles

Cook the slaw and chicken with a couple of T. soy sauce and a t. spicy Asian sauce of your choice. Boil noodles, drain and throw them in with the veggie/chicken mixture. Heat and serve.

I'm big on one pot meals at my house. If you wanted a side, I like green beans like these.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/sauteed-green-beans-with-soy-shallots-ginger-garlic-and-chile-recipe.html
  • 1. Your screen name or first name and where you are from.

Jill, NC

2. What's your plan for weight loss of healthier eating? Are you following a certain diet?

I'm currently nearing the end of a strict 6-week diet of absolutely no carbs/sweets/fruits and increased meats/veggies. My acupuncturist wants to help get my PCOS in balance by starving my body of carbs and sugar spikes.

3. How have you done so far? Total weight lost or health benefits you've experienced.

I've been sticking to the diet pretty well, with only a few minor slip-ups. It's been pretty brutal and I've had severe carb-withdrawal cravings. I've lost about 7-8 pounds (in about a month), although weight loss wasn't really the goal (I was at a good BMI to start with). But I'm still at a normal BMI, even with the weight loss. It looks like I O'd way early, on CD 11 (usually I O between CD 18-29). This is REALLY good news since the main goal was to get my body to O earlier (although the bad news is that I only had a 7 day luteal phase - blah). The other advantage to this diet is that I feel more energized and have fewer mood swings. YAY!

4. What's a favorite healthy meal you've made this week, or a go-to meal that you love?

I love having spaghetti squash with sauce and chopped up organic chicken sausage. It makes me feel like I'm eating pasta! Also, H makes a really nice Paleo pizza crust (tapioca flour and garbanzo flour) that is very low carb. He doesn't have an actual recipe but I'll watch him next time he makes it and try to guess at the quantities. It's really good!

ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. Your screen name or first name and where you are from. 
    Heather from MN

I'm doing Slimgenics which is a weight loss center.   Basically, it's protein and vegetables.  In addition, I get 2 starches and 2 fruits per day.  I've also given up diet pop and alcohol (January), caffeine (3 weeks), and gluten (4-ish weeks).  And I've significantly decreased my dairy intake (but I just LOVE cheese, so I can't say I've cut it out).

With Slimgenics, I've lost 36 pounds total.  I'm currently up about 1.25 from my lowest weight due to my meds (I gain about 3 pounds from bloat).   I'm feeling REALLY good since going off gluten and caffeine - but I get tired in the mid-afternoon.  I think that would usually be the time I'd grab a cup of coffee.  :)  

I'm really doing this to get to a certain BMI in case we have to do IVF.  I'm hoping we don't have to, but I'm only 10 pounds away if we have to.  

@jilligan14, I'd LOVE your husband's paleo pizza crust.  So far, I've done one with tapioca flour and coconut flour and one with tapioca flour and almond flour.  They were both decent, but I'd love a really good one! :)  I'm also going to try the broccoli slaw in my stir fry this week @jennOK!! :)

I make a soup a lot with ground turkey and a bunch of veggies.   I fry up the turkey without oil and it leaves a little "residue" of turkey bits in the pan.  I add water and seasoning and boil that, add it to my veggies and boil for a bit and then add the turkey. Pre-made broth or stock is not allowed on Slimgenics so I've just made my own! :)  I've also used veggies and simmered for hours to make a broth that way.  That was really good, I just rarely have time for it!  Canned food in general is a no-no and the more I read, the more I think it's probably better to avoid, so I've started making all my own pizza sauce and spaghetti sauce.  It's been fun! :)  
    *** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • Goldsgirl9Goldsgirl9 member
    edited August 2015

1. Your screen name or first name and where you are from.
    Goldsgirl9 from FL

I have been following WW as well as doing Orange Theory Fitness (OTF) 3-4 times a week and Pilates once a week.

I have lost 13lbs since 7/11. Ovulated cd15 which is about 3-4 early for me. Not sure if the healthy eating, weight loss or Mayan massage helped with the early O.

4. What's a favorite healthy meal you've made this week, or a go-to meal that you love? I love an easy meal or easy crock pot meal so here are two easy ones I make once a week:

Two chicken breasts, can of black beans rinsed and jar of salsa. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. Shred chicken and serve by itself or over rice. We eat it solo with avocado and little bit of low fat sour cream.

Salmon filet (with skin on), a little bit of olive oil, smokehouse maple seasoning. Bake covered in foil at 425 degrees, once just about finished uncover and bake until ready. I usually serve with broccoli or Brussels sprouts.
  • jennOKjennOK member
    edited August 2015
    I love Brussel sprouts! Usually roast mine in the oven, coating them in a little bit of oil and sprinkling with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Yum.
  • Carrie from Florida

I joined Orange Theory Fitness 4 days ago and have gone 4 times. It's motivating me to eat healthier. I pick up a salad at the grocery store on the way home.

It's only been 4 days, but I'm sure I'll see results soon.  I haven't weighed myself yet.

I make burritos with rice and beans. (No meat.)
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I also like them sautéed in a pan then I add a mixture of soy sauce and honey. So yummie!!
  • I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 2 pounds. And then I went to my 5th Orange Theory class. Off to a good start.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Yay @CarrieandRoy that's great! Keep it up!
  • Jennifer from NY

2- I've been on WW for 4/5 months now. Trying to make better choices (thank god for the WW app).

3- I'm down over 11 lbs since I started but I have probably another 70-80 to go. I have earned my 5% and clothes are starting to feel a little loose. I'm taking it step by step. As my leader says "the fat fairly didn't come over night so don't expect the skinny fairy to either".

4- my favorite for the season is the grilled flank steak with chimchurri sauce, grilled baby potatoes and grilled corn. Yummy yummy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• @JennOK - thank you so much for starting this!!  This is going to help me more than you know!

1. happyktmom from Virginia

2. I've been working on clean eating for a few months, but really picked it up when I started a the 21 day fix.  It's portion controlled clean eating.  (I don't know if I've mentioned my lap band.  I had a gastric band placed in Feb 2013 because I was over 300lbs.  Weight has been an issue with me for my entire life.  I've always blamed it on my hypothyroidism or genes, but never truely made an effort to take it off.  I've done WW and it helped, but I stopped.  I've done Nutrisystem, Medifast, Atkins, South Beach, Crossfit, Kickboxing.  I always quit and gained the weight back.  I feel like everything was too extreme and my body needed a tool to essentially force me to restrict my portions. Last week, I had a major dilemma and my band slipped.  After losing 70+ lbs with it, I had to get all the fluid removed, which causes me to not have any restriction.  I'm scared to death, but my portion controlled diet plan will help me not gain - but LOSE!!)

3. I've lost about 3lbs and 3 inches from my waist since starting the diet last Monday.  It incorporates workout videos which has helped me with energy tremendously!

4. What's a favorite healthy meal you've made this week, or a go-to meal that you love? I love salad in general!  I know that sounds boring, but I love a good salad loaded with spinach, arugula, beets, peppers, tomatoes, garbonzo beans - yum!  And you've gotta have cheese - goat or feta ;)
    **child mentioned**
    Me(38)PCOS/Hypothyroid   DH(43)Low T/ED
    MMC at 10 weeks 03/2011 DD born 01/2012   TTC #2 since 04/2014
    BFP 8/26/2016

• 1. Rspalding001 from CA

2. So I just finished a 3 day cleanse and now plan on just doing low carb meals for a while.

3. During my cleanse I lost 5 lbs! Probably just water weight but still Im pretty stoked. Feel lighter and pants are not as snug.

4. I really liked my sauteed veggies dinner (Rapini and asparagus). Just sauteed in olive oil with a little garlic and salt.
  • emsmama15emsmama15 member
    edited August 2015
    I made this tonight.  It was REALLY good and not too labor intensive.  :)

(I added chickpeas)
  • @emsmama15 that sounds yummy. I'll have to make that.
  • Plus also, I lost another pound at WW tonight. It may not be coming off fast, but I'm slowly making progress. Down 8 pounds so far. ;;)
  • That's great @jennOK!
  • I'm restarting the ketogenic diet I did for 8 days this past month (lost 5lbs, probably water weight but still!) Also I'm swimming 3-5 days a week.
    For dinner I'm a fan of grilled fish or chicken with an herb mix salad and asparagus.
    I'm looking forward to making some soup soon!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers