Baby Names

Talk to me about Maren

I'm assuming it's pronounced Mahr-en, rather than Mare-en. Am I right? Not so familiar with this name but DH and I both like it. Any thoughts? First impressions?

Re: Talk to me about Maren

• I pronounce it Mare-en. I think it's cute. 
    Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems
  • I have always pronounced it Mare-en. I don't think either is wrong or if you have a preference on how to say it, it's your name. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I worked with a Mah-ren, so that's how I've always pronounced it.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• It's not my style, personally, but I don't hate it. I would pronounce it mere-in, which sounds too nautical to me. I much prefer something like Mariam, Meredith or Maeve.
  • I pronounce it Mare-en. I think it's a pretty name.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• I know a few ladies with the name Maren and they all pronounce it Mare-en.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Maren like Karen. I am over this name. although Maren is a nice name. I feel like it has run its course.

• I pronounced it Mahr-en and thought it sounded really nice
  • I pronounce it Mare-en and it's one of my favourites!
  • I pronounced it like Mahr-en in my head but was happily surprised to see that's not how most people pronounce it... I actually like Mare-en better. But I do think you'll get a lot of mispronunciations with that name. Not that I think that's a complete disqualifier but something to think about.
  • I think it's like Karen. It's fine but nms. Nothing bad associated with the name comes to mind and I don't see an easy way to tease that name.
  • A friend named her baby that and they say Mahr-en. I thought it would've been Mare-in.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I've never heard it in real life... Reading it, I thought it was mahr-in, but now that most people say it rhymes with Karen, I like it a lot less.
  • I've only ever heard Mahr-en. It may be a location thing though (Midwest v south etc).
    Anniversary 
  • I have had 2 students over the years with this name.  Both girls pronounced it "Mare - in."

I must confess that I don't like it.  I know it's a legit girl name, but it sounds masculine to me.  However, I wouldn't side-eye it too much as it is a legitimate name.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • If I saw this name, I would think it is pronounced "Mare-en" like Karen. I don't like it at all...I immediately associated it with a female horse; a mare. I also think it sounds kind of harsh and masculine for a little girl. I like where your head's at as far as unique names, but I'm personally not a fan of this one. 
  • I feel like someone was drunk typing and meant to type "Karen"...

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • I hate that name. Always have for some reason.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• I love it :) 

Mare-in 

• I pronounce it like Karen with an m. I love the name it just rhymes too much with our last name to ever use.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers   
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers