TTC After a Loss
Options

First Period?

I had a D&C back on June 5th and have been bleeding ever since the 3rd day after surgery, although it had been light to just spotting, all up until last Friday when it started real heavy. It seems to be getting heavier in the last couple days. I've never had bleeding this heavy before in the past. Could this be my period and is the first period after surgery usually real heavy? I called the drs office and they just told me to take 800mg of IB Profen, put my feet up and get some rest. If I have continuous bleeding in a few days then I'm supposed to call them back.

Re: First Period?

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. That sounds like your first period to me. After my D&C I didn't really bleed much because I had so much blood loss during surgery. But then I started spotting and it got heavier and heavier. At my check up appointment my OB said it's most like my period and then 26 days later I got a second period and it kind of fell into place from there. It's going to be frustrating and confusing for the first few months. But as of now, I think it's your period.
  • Options
    I'm going on 7 straight days now of real heavy bleeding, feel like I'm gonna need a blood transfusion soon as much as I've lost. Sorry for TMI but I can't believe how many tampons and pads I'm going through, I hope it ends soon, or at least go back to just spotting. I'm really hoping this is my period so I can get back on schedule.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor (and others') said if you go through a pad an hour, you need to see a doctor.  I assume your doctor advised you on how much is too much.

I've read that you have to go 20 days without bleeding for it to count as your first AF.  (I don't know if it's true, but I've read it in multiple places.)  I got what I thought was AF 17 days after I stopped bleeding. It was light, but I figured it counted. I found out about 3 weeks later that I still had leftover hcg, so I'm not sure if I can count that as AF or if it was just some breakthrough bleeding.

The first AF after surgery varies. For some it is heavy and for some it is light. I had that light one that may not have counted, then I had medium one. Perhaps the next one will return to normal.  This was the first cycle with normal temps, so that's a good sign.

I hope you feel better soon!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• Options
    @huskersfan22 how has it been the past day or so? Any better? I had a blood transfusion after my surgery because I lost so much blood. I had no left over hormones when I left the hospital. I would say if you are bleeding that much for 7 days straight call your doctor or go to the ER. There are a lot of reasons why this could happen. Either left over tissues or there could be something else going on.
  • Options
    I called the Dr on Wednesday and she told me that it's most likely my period, they can be really heavy the first time after surgery, said to take 800 mg of IB Profen, elevate my feet and get plenty of rest, which is very hard to do at work. If the bleeding is still continuous in a few days I'm supposed to call in again. If its not getting any better by the end of the weekend. I'm going in on Monday. Sucks because its my birthday today and I was hoping to spend some good quality time with my husband this evening but the only thing I feel like doing is sleeping. We will see what happens, may end up going to urgent care.
  • Options
    Hello.
    I had 2 weeks of bleeding with my natural MC. Then a blank 7 days. Then spotting which evolved to extremely heavy bleeding and large clots. The bleeding lasted for 14 days.
    It was so soon after the MC I was sure it couldn't be my AF but the EPU said that it more than likely was. I took a HPT to check (instructed by midwife) and this was negative.
    She did say that the first period can be awfully heavy and painful.
    For me, the bleeding was worse with my AF than the actual MC.
    Hope you feel better soon lovely x
  • Options
    huskerfan246huskerfan246 member
    edited August 2015
    @amyeva1989 so sorry for your loss, its tough.  It was extremely heavy for me and actually ended up being my first period after the d&c.  My period never came this month and 2 hpt's came back positive, and was confirmed at the dr's office.   Waiting for a first u/s next week to see how far along but I think around 7w.  Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Oh gosh that's amazing news. So happy for you. How are you feeling? @huskerfan246
  • Options
    @amyeva1989 sorry I just got this message.  Thankyou! I'm experiencing alot of nausea, fatigue, tender breasts, and alot of food aversions.  I just had my first u/s today and i'm 6w4d, seen our little bean and heard the heartbeat.  Such a huge relief!  Praying this one sticks, I know its early so anything can happen but i'm going to stay positive and try not to worry myself.
  • Options
    I had about 2 weeks of bleeding off and on after my d&c. I got my first period 5 weeks to the day after surgery so I don't think the 20
    Days after bleeding is necessarily true. Everyone's body is different and everyone's body heals in its own way. I am so sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    I'm currently on my first period after m/c and I'm shocked as to how heavy it is, I'd read warnings but this is ridiculous I feel housebound! It might sound daft but every time I go to the bathroom I get this sunken feeling inside and I think it's because its bringing back horrible m/c feelings and reminders just seeing all the blood again :(
    Can't wait to be back to normal so we can start trying again this month! Lots of love support and luck to everyone as always, I'd have been lost these past months without reading everyone's advice and experiences, it helped so much!x
  • Options
    Oh @SonyaL9 it really is horrid. I personally felt that it was worse than the MC bleeding but it does ease off. Plus point, you've got your body back and your cycle xxx
  • Options
    @amyeva1989 I know, think I just wasn't expecting it be so heavy but I'm now just seeing it as a big clear out and getting body ready for take 2! Have you guys started trying again this month? I'm battling between heart and head as to whether to now wait till after 2nd cycle, we are moving house this month and also going on holiday, I want to enjoy the holl and work hard for the move, don't want to put my body under too much stress worrying about conceiving too as last time it dominated my every thought once I had an inkling I was preg! Very excited but very scared I guess!x
  • Options
    Yes we've started trying. I ovulated last week. Although I feel really cranky today and have cramps so I think AF is coming.
    I think you just have to go with when feels right for you doll. If you have lots on and think you'd like a complete break from it all just enjoy your holiday and house move, enjoy your time with hubby and if you feel like being intimate then do so. If a little miracle comes of it, it's meant to be xxx
    & im scared too.
  • Options
    Yeah I think your right, just need to go with the flow and see what happens, nature will do its thing regardless! I think I've been toying with the whole new house fresh start mantra so may hold off another few weeks but we'll see as my heart is already counting cycle days and working out when to get the ov tests out after this period ends lol!
    I hope you don't get af though Hun, I have my fingers crossed that you get your good news, hopefully we'l both be in the May / June groups soon! xx