Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Dark Green Loose Stool

My 6 week old has been struggling with gas so we switched from Similac Sensitive to Gerber Gentle about a week and a half ago. He is also taking Zantac and we put a little oatmeal in his bottle (as instructed by his pediatrician) for reflux. He's always struggled to poop and pass gas, but since starting the Gerber Gentle he's pooping much more frequently...like 5 times a day...and his stool has turned green and is basically liquid. Not to mention the smell is horrible. Even though his stool is loose he still struggles just as much to poop. I feel like most of his awake time is spent grunting/straining/fussing because he's trying to poop. Its also causing him to wake up frequently at night. Could he still be adjusting to the new formula or is this a sign that it might not be agreeing with him?  
Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Dark Green Loose Stool

• Sounds like the formula is disagreeing with the little one! If you're able to do so, contact your Pediatrician again, and let them know what's going on. It could also be the oatmeal. One of my cousins, when she was these age about 15 years ago, the oatmeal in her formula was making her stool really loose, liquid like, and green/greenish yellow. They found out she had a slight allergy to the oatmeal! But to be on the safe side, I would contact your Pediatrician again, and try to get your little one checked out again if possible. Good luck. And hope your little bundle of joy gets to feeling better! :)
  • I'm actually dealing with this with my breastfed baby. I'm in the process of trying to eliminate foods to see what helps. My LO spends a ton of time grunting, pushing, fussing etc. She falls asleep easily but will only sleep until she has to poop or fart. Then she will wake herself up. I have heard from both a LC and her pedi that it looks like a bit of a sensitivity.
  • Loading the player...
  • We had dark green stool at about 6 days, but it was thick and almost black. I eliminated dairy entirely for two weeks, the poop went back to normal breastfed baby color almost immediately, and I now have some dairy (food with traces of milk and occassionally cheese) without issue.

However, LO has for the past 12 hours now (we're 9 weeks) had bright green loose stool. My diet hasn't changed at all...the only unusual thing I ate yesterday was I had a can of ginger ale. We did start zantac about a week ago...I'm wondering if that's contributing to it. I doubt I suddenly have a foremilk/hindmilk issue this late in the game, though I know that can also cause this kind of stool. So my money is on either the ginger ale or the zantac. DD did wake up a few times with what seemed like painful gas last night...so I'm thinking no more ginger ale for me for a while.
  • I took DS to a GI and they think he has a milk protein sensitivity, so we're now in the process of transitioning to Elecare. My poor little guy seems so uncomfortable all the time. I'm hoping this helps!
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Interesting. Mine are both on Zantac and we have the same thing going on in their diapers. I am going to call to ped!
  • EmJ628 said:

Interesting. Mine are both on Zantac and we have the same thing going on in their diapers. I am going to call to ped!

This is comforting. Sounds like several of are seeing green tinged stool that are on zantac.

I will say that LO's big poop this morning was back to being mostly yellow though slightly greener than it used to be before the zantac. The few tiny green ones last night may have been an anomoly. I may still avoid ginger ale now though since lo had such painful looking gas last night.