Baby Names

Long Shot: Full names for Kate?

I love the name Kate, but feel like it should be a nn for a more formal name. However, I don't like any of the traditional names Kate tends to be a nn for. 

Here's what I don't like:
Katherine
Katrina
Katerina (I do kind of like this one, but our last name is 4 syllables as well, so I feel like it's too much)
Kateyln

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone think of anything else? Or is it ok to have Kate as a full name?
Married 7.29.05 :: DD1 5.11.10 :: DD2 1.23.13 :: Baby Boy due 3.13.16!

March 2016 January Siggy: Pregnant Lady Problems

Re: Long Shot: Full names for Kate?

• *Kathleen

I usually see more with a C but I have seen but not as common with a K
    *Katalina
    *Kaitrin 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Katya
    Kayden
    Cadence
    ???

I don't usually feel this way, but I think Kate is ok as a full name, you can always call her katie as a nn
  • Loading the player...
  • Karina? That's the best I could come up with.

I think Kate is fine as a full name as well.
  • I know five Kate's (full name, both kids and adults). I love the name Kate, so I would totally use it as a stand alone name if there isn't a longer name that you love as much as Kate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Kathleen

Katherina

Katia

• mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited August 2015
    I agree that Kate is one nn (of few) that actually would be fine as a fn. if you love it, go with it.

ETA. Words are a struggle.
    Anniversary 
  • Cataleya like the flower
  • I know a Kate who's full name is Katrisha.
  • Not a fn.
    Perhaps choose a different name
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've heard of it used as a full name, but I like it as more of a nickname too. The only name I didn't see that you could use Kate for is Katrina. 
  • Ekaterin

Pronounced "Eh-cat-er-EEN"  
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My sister used Kate as a full name for her daughter. If you choose a longer name and then use Kate as a nn, other people will likely call her Katie (which you might be okay with, but I know my sister hates). They don't usually abbreviate Kate any further. x
  • I know it's an UO around here, but I personally don't mind Kate as a full name.  Katherine would be my top choice for an extended name but I know you already said you don't like it.

httpi62tinypiccomuarkwpng

httpdb88884558af2dd1308c-3341812d6775871652d58b599202ab3cr4cf1rackcdncomthebumpvanillaforumscomFileUploadb7817660919c960ebd43e30c9c837741jpg
  • My vote goes to Kathleen!
  • I know you said no to Katelyn but to change the spelling might help- maybe try Kaitlin
  • I'm a Katherine nn Katie or kate
    I love my name!
    Kathleen=Kathy
    Katherine =kate Katie
    Please do NOT mix these up
    Kate is not a stand alone name.
    You are naming someone who will need to use a fn for work
    March 2011: Off Nuva, cycle back to "normal" for me: No periods since 15 years old. June 2011:Provera&50 mg Clomid; Progesterone:0.7 July 2011:Provera&100mg Clomid; Progesterone:3.29 Met with RE:No Clomid response, begin injectables Sep 5 mg Letrozole and Ovidrel in the interim month. Cut out running (was a distance-runner), cycling, eliptical. Restricted to weight-training, walking, pilates. Brain MRI normal. Being physically over-stressed is the reason the body stopped producing prog. Late Sep 2011: Menopur, Ovidrel,& IUI (10.10.11):BFN-Great injectable response: 2 mature, 6 near mature, many smaller; Problem: 9 cysts! Dr: IUI too uncontrolled for number of viable eggs & age. On to IVF! IVF ER 12.6: 37 mature eggs, 27 fertilized, froze all to avoid overstimulation; FET 1.22 (2 Grade 1)=BFN; FET 2.22 (3 Grade 2)=BFP! Beta 10dp3dt=291; 12dp3dt=644; HB 3.26!! 174 bpm: Vanishing twin almost completely absorbed 10wks Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kateri?  Katrin?  Catalina?  Kathryn (different spelling)?

I don't like Kate on its own -- hopefully you can find a full name for it that you like :)
  • ksteeb611 said:
    I'm a Katherine nn Katie or kate I love my name! Kathleen=Kathy Katherine =kate Katie Please do NOT mix these up Kate is not a stand alone name. You are naming someone who will need to use a fn for work
    Katherine can = Kathy and Kathleen can = Kate..........i know plenty with these names 
  • I love Kate as a full name.
  • My full name is Katie and I wish my parents had given me a full name.
  • I think Kate is a fine full name. A friend of ours has a daughter named Kate and it suits her perfectly :)

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• I'd just use Kate
  • I grew up with a Kate (full name). She liked her name but found it super annoying that people assumed it was short for something. She was asked that all the time. And some teachers just called her Catherine because they assumed it was her full name.

I usually hate nicknames as first names, but I'm ok with Kate as it doesn't sound juvenile like it would if the full name was Katie or something. But just because I don't mind it doesn't mean it won't annoy your daughter to have a nn as a full name.
  • I love just Kate
  • ksteeb611ksteeb611 member
    edited September 2015
    There are some Kathleen's that are katie or Kate, but it is not the majority. And as a kate that is a Katherine, it ticks me off when people try to call me Kathy. I personally do not know any Kathleen's that go by Kate or katie