February 2016 Moms

Dry itchy skin already! Suggestions?

About half way through my first pregnancy, I began to have really dry itchy skin on my back.  I would get my hubby to rub me down with lotion almost every night.  This time, I am already itchy, at 11 weeks!  Its driving me crazy!  Anyone have a suggestion for a great lotion you use or other remedy?  I really could use some relief!  Thanks ladies!!!
Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker 
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dry itchy skin already! Suggestions?

• Aveeno Creme Lotion. It's amazing! Also, try to stay super hydrated. It could be your body trying to tell you you aren't getting enough.
  • I have it bad too, plus I get puppps on my stomach.  I fee like I itch from conception until a few weeks after birth!  I have Nivea thick lotion that I really love and I try not to take baths or too hot of showers.  I do get a cream for my stomach when it gets worse but i don't use it for my regular dry skin.  I think winter is always worse too, oh joy!

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited July 2015
    I use organic coconut oil found in the baking section of the grocery store. I have been using it long before I was pregnant and it is a miracle worker. I can't stand lotion anymore because it only hydrates for like the first 30 minutes after application. Coconut oil is a great face moisturizer too and I deep condition my super curly hair with it a few times a month. Good luck in your search for relief!
  • Organic cocnut oil here too! I use it for everything! Hair mask, lotion, belly itch relief, facial lotion... and I cook with it too. I have jars of it all over my house. Works wonders on baby skin too!!!

View Full Size Image

Pregnancy Ticker

Losses:
     7/16/2014 @ 7 Weeks 2 days
     2/01/2015 @ 4 Weeks 4 days

• I use palmer's cocoa butter or Gold Bond Ultimate for diabetics' because that formula is extra concentrated
  • I also recommend coconut oil too! It's great for not only when you are pregnant but also with any dry patches of skin.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • TegzyTegzy member
    Mixing an oil with your moisturiser can give you some great results too :)
  • geojam224geojam224 member
    edited July 2015
    Came on here to recommend coconut oil and I see it's been recommended multiple times already. Yay! Love that stuff.

Eta: it's not great as a face moisturizer if you have oily skin. It tends to clog pores. I use grapeseed oil for my face when I do oil cleansing method. Mineral oil is great for that too
    Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ShatzegirlShatzegirl member
    edited July 2015
    My back is getting itchy already, as well! I love coconut oil, too! :)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I have been having the same issue since week 9 and I see a few recommendations for coconut oil but what if you can't stand the smell of it? Any other thoughts. I have tried Nivea, Aveeno and am onto a lotion oil and nothing is helping! :-S
  • @kendragrace1215 I actually love using olive oil. Even a light coating on my face.

Happy October :D
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Emmett Austin Langford, born sleeping 2.25.15

"Once you are Real you can't become unreal again.  It lasts for always." 
    || The Velveteen Rabbit ||

>>> BFP 6.6.15, Rainbow due 2.6.15! <<<
    >>We are Team Pink!<<

I write over at Grace In Chaos.
  • I have been having the same issue since week 9 and I see a few recommendations for coconut oil but what if you can't stand the smell of it? Any other thoughts. I have tried Nivea, Aveeno and am onto a lotion oil and nothing is helping! :-S
    DD had eczema when she was a baby and the pedi told us to use Cetaphil and now we use it for dry patches and it works really good.  I don't like the way it feels b/c it feels like you can never rub it in good enough but it does work well.  I use a lot these days. 

You can also give vitamin E oil a try - it's thick but works very well. and I've always had luck with burts bees but they are pricey.
    Both the brands you listed use alcohol based scents (even the non scented still have these listed in their ingredients high up). This type of scent evaporates quickly making your skin dry again (hence the need to use it constantly and then they sell more lotion - same reason soda has salt in it). Try looking for something without that in it! The really thick Cetaphil  reccomended above also works wonderfully - I use this when my skin is really bad.
    Feb'16 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite thing about fall

Married 05/2014
    FTM

BabyFruit Ticker
  • BBEA2006 said:

I have been having the same issue since week 9 and I see a few recommendations for coconut oil but what if you can't stand the smell of it? Any other thoughts. I have tried Nivea, Aveeno and am onto a lotion oil and nothing is helping! :-S

DD had eczema when she was a baby and the pedi told us to use Cetaphil and now we use it for dry patches and it works really good.  I don't like the way it feels b/c it feels like you can never rub it in good enough but it does work well.  I use a lot these days. 

I'm going to steal this suggestion. DD has really bad eczema and aveeno doesn't cut it sometimes.

I'm going to steal this suggestion. DD has really bad eczema and aveeno doesn't cut it sometimes.
    They have a soap too, that looks like a lotion and so I would do that instead of any other soap on the skin and then follow with the lotion throughout the day or at bath time.  

I even use the generic walmart brand and works just as good and cheaper.

• Thank you so much ladies!