May 2016 Moms

Day care

Does anyone else live somewhere that day care centers are very limited. Our babies have outgrown the facilities that we have in town I have already called 4 places this morning that are full! How can they already be full. I just found out myself this morning.

Re: Day care

• Maybe you could start asking around for references for in home day cares? 
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Are you looking for day cares for your expecting baby? If so, they may have a wait list you can go on and it's probably a good idea to add your baby to the wait list now so they can get in when needed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes, I was just trying to put my name on the wait list.  Some of the places were not taking anymore names.  One place I called had a 3 year wait list....   I do feel better about it now.  I have found a few places that the wait list should work fine.  I also knew that it was an issue in town with other friends so wanted to be proactive.  We did a tour this morning of one place.  Not my favorite but they have a very high accreditation and lower than state standard ratio of care providers.  The town has just really grown the past 10 years and they have not added enough centers.  Must of the time they are already filled because of siblings already being in with the school.  We were able to get pretty high on our church one and they have very high standard and a strong program so feel good.  I would love to be able to stay at home and will go to part time so should work out.   I was just so shocked that first day how many places were not adding to the list!

• Looks like you have great options! Hope you find the perfect fit soon!
  • Wow, I didn't think to look this early! So much to do. I am really considering going part time so that I can be our child's care provider. I realize that that option won't be for everyone. I'm curious what everyone else has in mind.
  • I'm already freaking out about daycare. We want to use a facility close to our home, and there isn't a ton. A girl I work with that lives down the street told me the wait list was crazy. Thinking I am going to start calling out after our dr appointment in two weeks to get on some wait lists; but is it too early?? Am I the freak getting her kid on a wait list a year before needed?

cat fail animated GIF

• With DS I put off looking for daycare until I was like 37 weeks, I was very naive in thinking I would call and get DS in after my maternity leave. Well I called at least 10 different daycares and all had waiting lists or were not taking infants. Luckily my MIL was able to watch DS when I had to return to work. It took somewhere around 6 months to get him into daycare and that was only because two families had moved. So with this baby I will be putting my name in asap!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Okay so I was thinking about daycares the other day and DH thought I was crazy.  After reading this, I'm definitely going to start calling around and researching so we are not left out in the cold when the time rolls around.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • We would have a spot at DD's daycare if we choose, but with the outrageous cost I think DH is going to end up staying home. DD's daycare is already more than our mortgage! We would be paying $2000/month for 2 kids. Yikes.
  • Ugh, daycare. So annoying. My work has a daycare onsite for employees to use (we pay for it out of our paychecks), which is fantastic. My son goes there and he is so happy. Well, when I handed in my deposit for this baby, I was told they were full and that I would probably need alternate care if I was coming back to work before September 1st. Even if I have my baby on my due date (I was 3 weeks early with my son) I will still have a week or two without care.

I wasn't planning on taking 12 weeks maternity leave because I can't afford it, but I am being forced to because if I don't that leaves more time that I need to figure out who will be watching my baby.

I am going to hope that my mom will take a week, my in laws will take a week, my neighbor might take a week and perhaps begging someone else to take a week if needed to cover. Otherwise, I might need to find an alternate daycare that would be willing to take the new baby for a month or so.

I hope that you find a place for your baby! Daycare is so expensive and its so stressful.  

• We go for the first u/s appointment tomorrow, so I don't want to jump too far ahead, but we have started browsing daycare options.  Below is my XP from the Working Moms board (I didn't get many responses there.), so maybe some of you ladies have some insight:

Does anyone else work for a company with an on-site daycare service?  Do you use it?  I am an in-house attorney for a large corporation, and my company is planning to open a new on-site day care facility the first quarter of next year.  It will be a brand new facility, and they have a contract with a top-rated child care agency.  The exact cost will be announced at the end of this quarter, but it is supposed to be comparable to similar local facilities.    

I am still in my first trimester (so, I know it is early to start contemplating these things), but I am trying to weigh our options between the on-site service or an outside daycare.  On one hand, it would be incredibly convenient to have one less stop to make on the way to work in the mornings, and it would be nice to have the option to visit my baby during my lunch break, etc.  But, I am concerned that it may make it harder to separate my work and personal life, which I have worked so hard to keep separate.  I also worry that having the option to pop in for a visit may be too much of a distraction and that my career could suffer.  Additionally, because the facility will be so new, I will not have the benefit of getting reviews from other parents/co-workers.

Has anyone else used an on-site daycare service at their place of employment?  What would you say are the pros and cons?
  • swflJD 

I use a daycare that my work provides. However, the daycare is not technically "on-site." It is down the street because it has grown so much. It has made things so much easier, especially when Jacob is sick. I have an hour to go get him because he has gotten "the boot." Also if he needs medicine I can just pop up and give it to him, most daycares can not administer medication. I can call and check on him as much as I want, or I can go up there at lunch if that's what I want to do. I tend not to though because I don't want to mess with his routine. As much as I would like to see him, it confuses him when I stop by in the middle of the day.

I'm so happy he is so close. I get to spend as much time as possible with him in the morning before I have to go to work. Instead of being away from him from 6:45am-5pm I'm only away from him from 7:45-4:10pm. That extra time with him is so valuable because he goes to bed at 6:10.

• Is anyone else scared to use daycare? DH and I battle this out regularly but I've never had an experience with daycare personally and I'm scare to leave my baby with strangers. Maybe because I'm a FTM? I don't know.
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• Is anyone else scared to use daycare? DH and I battle this out regularly but I've never had an experience with daycare personally and I'm scare to leave my baby with strangers. Maybe because I'm a FTM? I don't know.

DH and I felt like this too. We were so lucky to find an amazing, small daycare. The owner and all of the teachers are wonderful and I completely trust them with DD. I wouldn't just settle with any daycare, definitely find one that you will feel comfortable sending your child to. Ask them a lot of hard questions and go with the one that feels right.

• @JessicaB0627 thanks for the reassurance! DH went through daycare and is totally on board but doesn't have the time in his work schedule to help me look for the right daycare. Guess I am on my own there! Is 6 weeks too early to start? Reading everyone else's comments I'm kind of afraid to wait...
    TTC #1 - Started 7/2015
    MC #1 - 1/10/2014
    MC #2 - 10/15/2015

Pregnancy Ticker

• @FireInWonderland The sooner the better! I also found it took some time to actually meet with people. Some daycares only want visits on certain days at certain times and it was difficult to work that into my schedule.

Also, some daycares are really high-tech these days. DD's daycare has an app and I know what she's doing all day, what she eats, when her diaper is changed. It's awesome.
  • The earlier, the better when it comes to daycare! My husband and I have to make a decision early next week to ensure we get a spot, so we are finalizing our list.

The costs are downright scary though, especially for infant care. How are other people managing the major crush to their budget?
  • Huh, never thought much about that so far. It would be nice to find somebody who lives in the area who takes care of kids, when my brother and I were small the lady across the street watched 2 or 3 kids on any given day.
  • We are moving in July or Aug & I teach so will need daycare starting in Sept. Problems are we don't yet know what town we are moving to & live in MA where daycare costs are enormous. This is one of my biggest worries!
  • Just found out yesterday, $226 a week for the daycare we would like to use until LO is 1 year old. About what I thought it would be but my bank account is crying just thinking about it. It looked nice though... We just went in really quick yesterday bc DH got a ride home from someone we know who uses the same place for their 3 year old so we plan on going back for a full tour, but good to know so far so good.

I'm still freaking out about leaving out child with someone else for daycare even with this place looking great. I'm still trying to convince MIL or my sister to move back near us so we can do that instead. No luck so far. Lol. :)
  • We would have a spot at DD's daycare if we choose, but with the outrageous cost I think DH is going to end up staying home. DD's daycare is already more than our mortgage! We would be paying $2000/month for 2 kids. Yikes.

This! I love our daycare, but the cost is ridiculous...even with a teacher discount. I'm terrified to ask what the rate will be for 2 kids, even with teacher and two kid discount I still think it will be over $2000. I may have to look at home daycares, but those are harder to find that are any kind of quality...and not just a babysitter.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• The costs are downright scary though, especially for infant care. How are other people managing the major crush to their budget?

That's actually a major reason I became a SAHM when DD was born. After daycare, I'd be lucky to make $50/week. I recently had been considering going back to work 2-3 days a week when I got pregnant. I really can't afford daycare for two.

I actually worked daycare for years so I always feel a little bad complaining about the high cost. But it is expensive. I don't know how people without really well paying jobs manage it.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• The costs are downright scary though, especially for infant care. How are other people managing the major crush to their budget?

That's actually a major reason I became a SAHM when DD was born. After daycare, I'd be lucky to make $50/week. I recently had been considering going back to work 2-3 days a week when I got pregnant. I really can't afford daycare for two.

I actually worked daycare for years so I always feel a little bad complaining about the high cost. But it is expensive. I don't know how people without really well paying jobs manage it.
    I'm in a similar spot, contemplating the options. Our daycare is currently $300/week, will jump to $540/week with 2. I appreciate the sib discount but still, that's $1080 per paycheck and let's be real, my paycheck isn't tons more than that as a social worker at a non profit. I've done the math and I'd still be bringing home money, and it would be a cash flow loss to stay home (mostly due to cost of family health insurance coverage through DH). I'm really conflicted about what is actually worth it. My heart wants to be with my babies, but I'm passionate about my work too. I'm nowhere near prepared to make this decision :(
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I'm in a similar spot, contemplating the options. Our daycare is currently $300/week, will jump to $540/week with 2. I appreciate the sib discount but still, that's $1080 per paycheck and let's be real, my paycheck isn't tons more than that as a social worker at a non profit. I've done the math and I'd still be bringing home money, and it would be a cash flow loss to stay home (mostly due to cost of family health insurance coverage through DH). I'm really conflicted about what is actually worth it. My heart wants to be with my babies, but I'm passionate about my work too. I'm nowhere near prepared to make this decision :(
    I had to travel about 35-40 miles for work. By staying home, I actually ended up "making" ~$10/week after taking away the travel expenses, making more things from scratch, only doing errands 1-2 days a week, etc. So for me, it actually made a lot more sense to stay home. I'm really missing work though. I was a full-time substitute teacher and loved the work. It actually paid more than getting a more permanent job in my field (teacher's aid, preschool teacher, etc.) and I loved the fact that it was a little bit different each week. Maybe someday I'll go back. :)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016