August 2015 Moms

How much formula/milk is your little eating?

My little guy is 4 weeks and consuming 6 ounces every 2 hours! I can't keep up!!! How much is your baby eating and at what age? I know it's around that time for a growth spurt. He does seem extra crabby and pitches a huge fit if he gets the milk taken away. I'm not denying him the milk if he wants it, I'm just not sure if this much is normal.

Re: How much formula/milk is your little eating?

• That's good to know. My LO is 3 weeks 2 days and he's just constantly wanting his bottle. I'm scared I'm over feeding him (though he doesn't always accept and does stop eventually when he seems full... so I don't know). I'm demand feeding though his signs for being hungry don't seem as clear anymore. We certainly aren't past 3 hr stretches at night (3-4 oz) and it can be anywhere from 1-3 hour stretches during the day.
  • We EBF on demand so I'm not sure how much she's actually getting, but she's been on the boob pretty much constantly for the past week (she's 4 weeks old today). I'm lucky if I get an hour and half to 2 hours between feelings during the day. At night she does go a little longer.
  • Loading the player...
  • My little piranha is only 5 days old and is breastfeeding both sides and then drinking 2oz of supplemental formula every 2 hours.. I'm hoping once my milk comes in full swing I can get him off formula.
  • My LO is 3 weeks and is now taking 4 ounces every few hours. Hard to keep up!!
  • BFeeding on demand, so no clue, but feels like a damn gallon with how much we are nursing right now!
  • We're EP'ing. LO is 6 days old and drinks about 3-3.5oz every 2 hours or so. Breast milk isn't as heavy on the stomach so it's to be expected.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 4 ounces every 2-3 hours during the day and 3-5 at night. We pump and supplement with formula since my spilt is low. She gets about an ounce of BM each feeding.
  • LO is 10 weeks old tomorrow but was born at 31 weeks. She eats 3-3.5 oz every 2 to 31/2 hours. Night time she'll sometimes go 4 hours.
  • My girl is 2 weeks 1 day and having 3 oz every 2-3 hours.
  • I'm EBF so I have no idea.
  • I pump, but have been supplementing with it. My milk supply alone isn't enough for his appetite! I didn't even consider breast milk to be lighter on the stomach...
  • I'm EBF so I have no idea.

This. But I wish I knew!
    Me: 37, DH: 38: ttc 7 years, dx: unknown
    10/11: after 2 years, saw a RE, FSH 5.4
    11/11: BFP! (surprise after thyroid & normal hsg),
    12/11: missed m/c after 7 week u/s, 1/12: D&C
    6/12 IUI#1-IUI #3: clomid = BFP!, C/P
    IVF #1(10/12) FSH 5.4, AFC: 16 long Lupron, 5R/5M/4F, all 4 made it to 5dt, 1 blast/1-8 cell transferred=BFN
    IVF #2(12/12)AFC 21, MD lupron, 4R/4M/3F, 5dt of 1 blast and 2-8cell. BFN.
    IVF#3(4/13) Natural start antagon protocol, 12R,11F. one PGS normal at day 6 transfer. BFN.
    IVF#4 (11/13) C.CRM (ODW.U normal 8/13 Still no Diagnosis) EPP/antagonist. ER 13R/7M/6F. Only 1 made it to freeze. Abnormal. Looking into options of DE, Fresh vs frozen.
    10/14 new local RE to look into what's next. CD3 FSH 4.7, AMH 0.9. Met with DE agencies and exploring options for feb/march 2015.
    Surprise natural bfp (4 days before donor is signed). Beta #1 at 9dpo: 51.8, 2nd beta: 195 (25 hours doubling) @11dpo. 3rd beta (12/15): 516 (35 hrs doubling) 4th beta(12/17): 895 (58 hours doubling) 5th beta(12/19): 2120. U/S at 5w0d(12/22): one gestational sac with yolk sac. U/S #2 (6w0d)12/29. One little bean measuring 6w0d with HR 124. 3rd u/s(1/4)7w0d: baby measuring 7w2d. HR 134. 3/30: A/S at MFM went great except for low lying placenta. Verifi results are normal! Team Blue! Please send any positive thoughts our way! EDD:8/24/2015
    Baby Will born 8/18. He's perfect.
  • victoriaaa1victoriaaa1 member
    edited August 2015
    I'm formula feeding my LO is taking 3oz every 3 hours sometimes 4 hours . He's also 3 weeks and 1 day . I know he can take 4 if I let him but that's too much . His pedi and lactation consultants said 3oz is fine every 2-3 hours or the longest 4 hours but 4oz is way too much .
  • 3wks old. Formula: 3oz every 2.5-3 hrs. The times he wants to eat more often, he only takes 1-1.5 oz at a time.
  • My LO is 5 weeks old. I BF and pump to supplement when I'm super sore and he wants more. My husband does do 1 feeding early in the morning and he will eat 4 oz of pumped milk for that. He's eating every 2-4 hours.
  • My daughter is finally taking 3 oz at a time during the day. At night she only takes 1-2 oz every 2-3 hours. She'll be 8 weeks old on Monday. She's 6 weeks premature, so she's finally the size of a full term newborn. Weighs exactly 7 lbs today.
  • My LO will be 3 weeks on Saturday. We had so many feeding issues, but switched to formula exclusively about a week ago. He eats about 3 oz. every 3 hours during the day. We let him go 4 hours over night for at least one feeding. He's gaining like a champ finally!
  • gulimzgulimz member
    edited August 2015
    My daughter is only taking in 2 oz to 2.5 at a time of BM or 1 oz to 1.5 oz of formula every 2 to 4 hrs. And here I thought it was a lot till o read all of your amounts!!!
    And about 2 to 3 times a day she will actually breast feed. She is steadily gaining weight and didnt loose that much in the beginning either so I guess that's all she needs. She'll be 3 wks on Saturday.

Edited due to accidently hitting save comment to early. ..
  • My little guy is just over 3 weeks and he's taking about 3oz of pumped milk every 2 hours and sometimes I have to supplement a formula bottle at night if I'm too sleepy to pump another bottle before his next feeding
  • Baby girl is 11 days old and takes 3oz of pumped Breastmilk every 3 hours.
  • My milk dried up on me so now he is on formula.. But he is 2 weeks drinks about 5 to 6 oz every few hours. Sometimes 3 hours sometimes 4.
  • I'm EBFing. I pumped a lot for DS though and he pretty much followed the 1oz per hour for breastfed babies rule (so 24oz in a day).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My milk dried up on me so now he is on formula.. But he is 2 weeks drinks about 5 to 6 oz every few hours. Sometimes 3 hours sometimes 4.

What caused your milk to dry up? I'm afraid of this happening.
  • neludelu said:

My milk dried up on me so now he is on formula.. But he is 2 weeks drinks about 5 to 6 oz every few hours. Sometimes 3 hours sometimes 4.

What caused your milk to dry up? I'm afraid of this happening.
    I have no idea. I did everything right. I pumped everyday more than 3 times. I breastfed until my son wouldn't latch anymore. It just stopped coming.